Sponsored
First Name
Teo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl wrangler
I NEED SOME SERIOUS ADVICE!! Please help!

-Specs-
-2018 Jeep Jl wrangler Sport
-50k miles
-Mopar Fox 2inch lift installed by dealer a year and a half ago.
-Yokohama mtn 295 size tires installed same time as lift.
-side note (I do not off-road on this vehicle %99 of the time is highway)
————
About 8k miles into this upgrade to my lift and tires, I experienced a death wobble around 40mph driving over common intersection terrain. BUT, driving on the freeway going around 85mph, it’s perfectly fine!! Only going around 35-50mph and hitting uneven roads is when i have problems

-Solutions-
1. I went to Dixie 4wheel and had them install a terraflex steering stabilizer and it seemed fixed until BOOM! Happened AGAIN the next day!
2. Dixie 4wheel advised me to replace my tie rod and luckily they had a spare STOCK one in their bay and they replaced it. 2 days later, BOOM! Happens again!!!
3. Dixie 4wheel installed a $565 terraflex heavy duty tie rod. NO JOKE, drove down the street and BOOM!!! Same DEATH WOBBLE!!!

-Currently-
I finally was able to get an appointment with the dealership in town and they have been trying diagnose the problem. It’s been about a week of running test on my Jeep and after him checking all the steering components (bushing, rod ends etc), they said they have found NOTHING loose or damaged. The service manger thinks I need to upgrade to a better steering stabilizer, but I dont think that’s the problem.

I am honestly thinking of just replacing my track bar and drag link to a upgraded terraflex version, but I am scared of dropping almost 2k and running a risk of not even fixing the problem. The Jeep is still currently at the dealership running more test and trouble shooting but PLEASE! I need some POINTERS ASAP! THANKS!
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum.

Can you please describe for us exactly what is it that the Jeep is doing when this Death Wobble happens?

Let’s start there.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I NEED SOME SERIOUS ADVICE!! Please help!

-Specs-
-2018 Jeep Jl wrangler Sport
-50k miles
-Mopar Fox 2inch lift installed by dealer a year and a half ago.
-Yokohama mtn 295 size tires installed same time as lift.
-side note (I do not off-road on this vehicle %99 of the time is highway)
————
About 8k miles into this upgrade to my lift and tires, I experienced a death wobble around 40mph driving over common intersection terrain. BUT, driving on the freeway going around 85mph, it’s perfectly fine!! Only going around 35-50mph and hitting uneven roads is when i have problems

-Solutions-
1. I went to Dixie 4wheel and had them install a terraflex steering stabilizer and it seemed fixed until BOOM! Happened AGAIN the next day!
2. Dixie 4wheel advised me to replace my tie rod and luckily they had a spare STOCK one in their bay and they replaced it. 2 days later, BOOM! Happens again!!!
3. Dixie 4wheel installed a $565 terraflex heavy duty tie rod. NO JOKE, drove down the street and BOOM!!! Same DEATH WOBBLE!!!

-Currently-
I finally was able to get an appointment with the dealership in town and they have been trying diagnose the problem. It’s been about a week of running test on my Jeep and after him checking all the steering components (bushing, rod ends etc), they said they have found NOTHING loose or damaged. The service manger thinks I need to upgrade to a better steering stabilizer, but I dont think that’s the problem.

I am honestly thinking of just replacing my track bar and drag link to a upgraded terraflex version, but I am scared of dropping almost 2k and running a risk of not even fixing the problem. The Jeep is still currently at the dealership running more test and trouble shooting but PLEASE! I need some POINTERS ASAP! THANKS!
Most of the time DW is from the track bar….. also once you’ve replaced all your steering components, if it’s still there, then my first guess is ball joints, especially with 50K.
Ive replaced bad ones as early as 10K on these JLs….

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The good news is that none of the money will be wasted. You need heavier duty steering linkage parts. They are easy bolt on parts, go for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
First Name
Teo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl wrangler
Welcome to the forum.

Can you please describe for us exactly what is it that the Jeep is doing when this Death Wobble happens?

Let’s start there.
The steering wheel literally shakes violently when I drive over normal city highways going 30-40mph

OP
OP
First Name
Teo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl wrangler
Do you have the original aluminum steering box or the new cast iron steering box? Did the dealership update the software and change to the newer heavier track bar per the steering TSB? Do you have your alignment specs? Low caster can contribute to wobble/shimmy, especially with a lift.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...b-08-074-20-for-improved-steering-feel.56363/
Yes yes and yes. Normal steering box. Everything is all checked and they said they have zero idea what’s happening . Gonna let them play with it for another week till they call me. But so far all these concerns have already been checked but still nothing

Sponsored

cs2k

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Occupation
Engineer
Yes yes and yes. Normal steering box. Everything is all checked and they said they have zero idea what’s happening . Gonna let them play with it for another week till they call me. But so far all these concerns have already been checked but still nothing
Trace down all of the linkages from the steering wheel all the way down to the wheels.

Visually inspect every single moving joint to make sure it looks ok.

Check every single moving joint with a pry bar or wiggle it by hand to make sure there is no excessive play.

Wiggle the wheels while its in the air to make sure its not the ball joints. The plastic bearing in there is known to wear badly.

Setup a gopro pointed at your steering joints and drive around, look at the footage to make sure that you don't see any wierd play as you drive around and steer. Sometimes you can only spot the play when things are under load while moving.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So far, the dealer said the ball joints and track are are normal
Can you post pic of your rig from the side and the front ? This can be fixed, DW is not terminal, however it’s unlikely to get fixed as long as it’s at the dealership……

Reactions: KNN

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
So far, the dealer said the ball joints and track are are normal
Have you checked caster, tire balance, and toe? I know mopar lift does not give you enough caster with slightly longer LCAs.

boston3111

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys JLU
I recently had really bad DW on my 2021 JLU Willys. I have 38s on it and man when I hit the slightest bump, I went into a full-blown DW. The ball joints "had no play" but I had them replaced as I have around 30k on the dana 44 axles and BOOM, DW gone.

I hit bumps going 30-40mph and no more DW.

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
The steering wheel literally shakes violently when I drive over normal city highways going 30-40mph
Exact Center by Roadmaster will not fix Death Wobble but in tests, it stopped the movement Death Wobble needs (first Ossicilation) so it can not happen, no fix it just keeps it from happening.
Watch the video, see how Death Wobble is stopped, see the mechanics of the device in the animation. This is the base version we have done 330 psi units on 40000 lb class A diesel pushers at that pressure nothing except power steering can override the hold. A very simple idea that could save the straight axle. https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/exactcenter.php
Sponsored