Sponsored

2017 Jeep Replacement from FCA (syncro issues in tran?)

JiteshMode

First Name
Jitesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Manual
I have a problem with my stick shift popping out of first gear when engaged. I took it into the dealer ship and he mentioned "something is wrong with the syncro, we are going to have to get you into another Jeep"..? wtf?! The dealership has contacted FCA and mentioned that he will send me information on Monday, March 25, 2019. I am a bit concerned being that I only have 24k miles on a 2017 (2.5 years) and I still have 20K loan I am paying. Will the FCA come through, giving me the full price that I paid for the car? Will they just give me KBB value(totally not fair)? Why is everyone so quiet about how much they received for their car from the FCA? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated!

JP
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I have a problem with my stick shift popping out of first gear when engaged. I took it into the dealer ship and he mentioned "something is wrong with the syncro, we are going to have to get you into another Jeep"..? wtf?! The dealership has contacted FCA and mentioned that he will send me information on Monday, March 25, 2019. I am a bit concerned being that I only have 24k miles on a 2017 (2.5 years) and I still have 20K loan I am paying. Will the FCA come through, giving me the full price that I paid for the car? Will they just give me KBB value(totally not fair)? Why is everyone so quiet about how much they received for their car from the FCA? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated!

JP
Why would they give you a new Jeep? That doesn’t make sense. A new transmission, not a new Jeep.

OP
OP
JiteshMode

JiteshMode

First Name
Jitesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why would they give you a new Jeep? That doesn’t make sense. A new transmission, not a new Jeep.
That was my first response to them. They said they cannot source the part...

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was my first response to them. They said they cannot source the part...
Really? A transmission? Manufactures are required to make parts for 10 years past production date. They should have no trouble getting you a transmission. Someone is blowing smoke up you arse.

Sponsored

catdaddy63

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue, 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
Occupation
Used Car Manager/Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
Very possible that a new trans is on national backorder with no valid time estimate. It happens when there is a larger than expected demand for parts and lead time for replacements is lengthy. Might be worth a call to Jeep customer service and see if they can assist.

Thinking about it a little more, it should be very possible to replace the worn syncros and that dealer may not have a tech qualified to do the work.

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
All this sounds crazy, they would pull a trans out of a new jeep before giving up a vehicle for such a minor issue.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Really? A transmission? Manufactures are required to make parts for 10 years past production date. They should have no trouble getting you a transmission. Someone is blowing smoke up you arse.
Could be a shady dealer trying to get you to trade into a new JL.
This is a legitimate problem.

The NSG370 manual trans that FCA sources from Germany has not been in production for probably getting close to a year now. There are many people who have been waiting over 6+ months for a new transmission.

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Contact your regional customer service manager. The only way to do this without losing money and being without a vehicle.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The NSG370 manual trans that FCA sources from Germany has not been in production for probably getting close to a year now. There are many people who have been waiting over 6+ months for a new transmission.
Really? I had no idea. Wow.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
  • You will not hear a lot from other owners who have had buy-backs. Buy-backs usually have non-disclosure agreements as part of the terms. You might come out ahead. Generally speaking, a buy-back is usually very fair. Actually weighed more towards the owner from what I have seen. This is dependent on each State though as laws are different for each State. They go off MSRP. Usually you pay or are charged a very fair cost per mile driven for depreciation. Some States allow you to recoup cost for any additional add-ons also. Plates, title, etc can be covered also. Just depends on your State.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Really? I had no idea. Wow.
Last update (back in early December) was that March 30th was the new ETA.

But that's a pretty telling sign that it's going to be pushed back yet again since we are a week away from that date, but they are now offering a vehicle buyback instead. Good for FCA for at least giving the option and not pushing people to wait endlessly like they have been.

What they really need to do is fit the current D478 or find another suitable replacement for the NSG370 if they cannot get production back on line.

OP
OP
JiteshMode

JiteshMode

First Name
Jitesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

This is very similar to what the service manager told me. Seems like you have more knowledge than them! He said that parts can take more than 8 months to get. Its sounds so unrealistic! T

As of now the service manager told me I can take the Jeep and drive it until we hear from the FCA (Tomorrow). I am physically holding first gear in place during take off... =/
He will also get me a loaner this Wednesday which I will keep until the situation is resolved. There are 6 of us at my fire department that own a Jeep from this local dealer and we hope they work diligently with FCA to resolve the issue. Stay Tuned!
Sponsored