Sponsored

2017-18 Wrangler (JK, JL, JT) Toledo Assembly Plant Schedule

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Its not going to be full size. No way FCA will canibalize their Ram sales .... the JT will be 100% a Tacoma / Canyon / Colorado / Ranger competitor of similar size. So if your not happy with the AEV Brute I doubt you'll be happy with it.
I sort of expected that but willing to wait and see. If it's a stretched JL with at least 6' bed I would think long and hard about it. Good towing rating is key too. That's where it needs to separate itself from the Wrangler.
Sponsored

Alx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Self Built
So only JT Wrangler pickup will be built on Toledo South line after it stops making the JK? If thats the case they must be different enough in production to not use the extra capacity to also build the JL or JLU on the same line as the JT.
Yes.

TSP will not build JL, only JT after retooling. TNAP will be converted to BOF for the JL and JLU only. The JT can't fit the current JK line so it will build the JK until JT is ready for launch. Hence, the overlap.

The Mad Duck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dodge Nitro R/T 4X4 (My Fake Jeep), 2010 Dodge Journey R/T, 1962 Imperial
I Would Bet a Large Amount of Money at Very Big Odds that the Toledo North Plant Making the JT Would Also Have the Capability to Make the JL and or the JLU on the Same Line at the Same Time as Needed ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
A BOF Vehicle is Slightly Less Complicated that a Uni-Body One as Far as Body Panel assembly Goes .
Can You Spell Spot Welding Fixture !
To Not Have that Capacity Would be Really, Really Dumb!
Besides It Would Not be that Hard to Do. These Models are Very Closely Related !
You Could Meet the Changing Demands of the Market in a Very Short Period of Time.
And You Never Know What Model Will be the Best Seller.
Next this Model of Jeep Prints Money, Period.
My Duck Hunting Buddy who is a Salesman at a CDJR Dealer has to Laugh when he Walks by a Jeep Jeep (Wrangler or Unlimited) and Says want to See the Program (a Sales Promotion Price) on the Jeep - He Points at the Sticker Price.

Last edited:

DropTopGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA: 2018 JL Wrangler, 2017 GS Corvette
Vehicle Showcase
I Would Bet a Large Amount of Money at Very Big Odds that the Toledo North Plant Making the JT Would Also Have the Capability to Make the JL and or the JLU on the Same Line at the Same Time as Needed ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !.
Other manufacturers make multiple models of the same year on the same assembly line, so why not Jeep.

Sponsored

DangerUs

First Name
Aimee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Wrangler Sport
Is there any updated info for this? A dealer just told me he can't (or maybe won't?) place a factory order.

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The 2018 JK Order Banks are open in Canada, opening in the US next week according to inside sources.

As mentioned by Joker, the JL/JLU order banks don't open until November.

The JT Order Banks won't open until mid 2018 at the earliest, and likely much later than that.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Why are other pages like road and track saying that the JT production will not be until late 2019? So who has the correct info
Likely R&T got it wrong, especially basing it on a 'Detroit' News article coming outta Texas, that's like a Salsa coming outta New York City !!

Better sources are the Detroit Free Press or better yet, the Toledo Blade, they actually have feet on the ground where the vehicles are made.

More likely JT released in Late 2018 as a 2019 model year truck.

Think it out.

The JT production line will start in the same plant as the current JK after re-tooling.

The JK ceases production by about May of next year (due to regulation changes they can't make a single North American one after April). So they might stay open for a month more or so for export vehicles, but that's highly unlikely (why delay a much anticipated JT to sell vehicles you have to pay thousands of dollar to get to market?).

So then they need to retool the plant for the JT, now a typical mild retooling takes about 3 months, the JL retooling is a little more since it needed a little more structural changes. However the JT could very well use some exisiting JK line, maybe not. So let be generous and give the JT retooling also 4 months.

That means, even if the plant closes at the end of May instead of end of April, then it takes June, July, August, September to retool the plant. Now even if there is an additional one month delay, let's throw in October as a buffer, then they start producing in November. Now even a delay of a month to 'build capacity' (which they don't really do, but let's pretend) then at the longest schedule, they are bringing out the JT in December of 2018, which is late 2018 and a long way away from late 2019.

Now even if you were to throw in an extra month to worship the Gods, at the latest you're into January, ie First thing 2019, not late 2019.

Things can still happen, and as el'Aurence said 'Nothing is Written!' but it would take about a year of delays, not just a few months, for the JT to start production in late 2019.

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
You listed the JL release date as 11/13 but I thought it was to be at the LA auto show in December
?

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
More likely JT released in Late 2018 as a 2019 model year truck.

Think it out.

The JT production line will start in the same plant as the current JK after re-tooling.

The JK ceases production by about May of next year (due to regulation changes they can't make a single North American one after April). So they might stay open for a month more or so for export vehicles, but that's highly unlikely (why delay a much anticipated JT to sell vehicles you have to pay thousands of dollar to get to market?).

So then they need to retool the plant for the JT, now a typical mild retooling takes about 3 months, the JL retooling is a little more since it needed a little more structural changes. However the JT could very well use some exisiting JK line, maybe not. So let be generous and give the JT retooling also 4 months.

That means, even if the plant closes at the end of May instead of end of April, then it takes June, July, August, September to retool the plant. Now even if there is an additional one month delay, let's throw in October as a buffer, then they start producing in November. Now even a delay of a month to 'build capacity' (which they don't really do, but let's pretend) then at the longest schedule, they are bringing out the JT in December of 2018, which is late 2018 and a long way away from late 2019.

Now even if you were to throw in an extra month to worship the Gods, at the latest you're into January, ie First thing 2019, not late 2019.

Things can still happen, and as el'Aurence said 'Nothing is Written!' but it would take about a year of delays, not just a few months, for the JT to start production in late 2019.
I have this funny image in my head of an FCA scheduling/logistics meeting, where a quiet intern in the corner reading the forums paraphrases your post as a suggestion to the committee, and as they all nod and think about the analysis they agree to that schedule and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The Mad Duck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dodge Nitro R/T 4X4 (My Fake Jeep), 2010 Dodge Journey R/T, 1962 Imperial
I have this funny image in my head of an FCA scheduling/logistics meeting, where a quiet intern in the corner reading the forums paraphrases your post as a suggestion to the committee, and as they all nod and think about the analysis they agree to that schedule and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Having Worked 38 + Years at Chrysler and Been "Involved" in Many New Product Launches.
There Comes a Point in "Making an Old Product Go Away" and Launching a New One, the Term "Juggling Bowling Balls"
Barely Describes the Situation !

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The good news is that JK production ends in March...
Sponsored