Sponsored

2013 JK, 80k miles . . . $4,000? Should I be worried?

randeeezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JL Willys
Hey guys,
A friend of mine is selling her 2013 JK Sport, in Billet Silver. It has about 80,000 miles on it. 3.6L engine, automatic trans.

When I asked what she wanted for it, she told me about $4,000. I plan to visit this weekend and take it for a test drive, and she's also taking it in to a garage to get it checked out. From what I know, and what I've seen, it has a few dents, mostly on the plastic bumper; one of the lights is missing from the front bumper; the soft top seems to have a tear or opening in at least one place; the front right fender is pretty torn up and needs to be replaced. Also I'm fairly certain that the tires will need to be replaced soon, though that's convenient as I'd upgrade anyway.

She said the jK was in 1 accident, but there was no damage.

I'll update this thread with some photos as she sends them, as well as my thoughts after I drive it.

However, as I've never bought a used Jeep before, what are some things I should watch out for, particularly with this year? It's an early 2013 model, pretty bare-bones Sport with manual windows and locks. Is it a good deal? I know the used market is crazy and I expected a JK to be selling for more.

If it's a sound vehicle, I'd like to take it on as a project and put a few thousand into upgrading it - wheels, tires, lift, bumpers, fenders, new top . . . any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

263802936_1332144860547537_5518349502653584711_n.jpg
Sponsored

Newbalewb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler X
I’d have some major red flags based on price alone. If this is a close friend I’d still have it checked out.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
The 13's were good, as the 12's had the head issue (12 were the first year of the 3.6 Pentastar). 80k miles is not much, and there is plenty of useful life in it. These type barebone units are what people like to start a full on project, swapping axles and everything in between.

If you don't take it for $4k, let me know. I will get it and sell it here in NETX and double my money in a heart beat.

Newbalewb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler X
The 13's were good, as the 12's had the head issue (12 were the first year of the 3.6 Pentastar). 80k miles is not much, and there is plenty of useful life in it. These type barebone units are what people like to start a full on project, swapping axles and everything in between.

If you don't take it for $4k, let me know. I will get it and sell it here in NETX and double my money in a heart beat.
And I’d buy it from you at double and then likely double my money when I sell it lol. Joking aside, if this doesn’t have a salvage title it’s easily worth 12k+

Sponsored

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
Running or not, get it….swap a better motor in it….and keep it as a daily. As long as there isn’t any rust on the body, a roller is worth $4k.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Any vehicle, no matter what, should have a thorough inspection by a trusted mechanic. $250-$500 will be the best money you've ever spent. ESPECIALLY, if you're buying from a friend.

The inspection then baselines the issues, and there is no possibility of bad blood with you and your friend.

Now, $4,000 for that jeep is an incredibly low price, so, short of major mechanical issues or serious rust, you buy it.

But before you screw a friend out of $, you show her a NADA value, or a KBB assessment, and you offer her a fair price. Then, everyone and everything is clear and out in the open.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Any vehicle, no matter what, should have a thorough inspection by a trusted mechanic. $250-$500 will be the best money you've ever spent. ESPECIALLY, if you're buying from a friend.

The inspection then baselines the issues, and there is no possibility of bad blood with you and your friend.

Now, $4,000 for that jeep is an incredibly low price, so, short of major mechanical issues or serious rust, you buy it.

But before you screw a friend out of $, you show her a NADA value, or a KBB assessment, and you offer her a fair price. Then, everyone and everything is clear and out in the open.
This is great advice.

Maybe consider bringing a third party in too, someone you both know. Ask that person to make sure everyone is tracking what's going on with asking, fair market value and the results of an inspection all informing the deal price. I'd be worried the friend is having some private issue and needs cash, but wants to solve their problem on their own. That would be a hard needle to thread.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone already mentioned the important stuff, so I’ll just throw in it looks like it took an impact on the drivers door and bent the tub. If it was hard enough, there could be frame damage. Hard to tell from the pic.

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
WOW.. If it runs and handles good, what a great Deal.. đź‘Ť I also have a 2013, and it has been trouble free, and runs like new..

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Sounds scammy. My niece is looking and just found a 2012 with a 105K miles and a reconstructed title for $18K. Something definitely isn’t adding up. Not even close.

Last edited:

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Jeep Wrangler JL 2013 JK, 80k miles . . . $4,000? Should I be worried? IMG_20210325_122436960
Jeep Wrangler JL 2013 JK, 80k miles . . . $4,000? Should I be worried? IMG_20210325_122427796

It's a hell of a lot cleaner than my '13 - and I got about $16k for mine from the insurance company.

(No need to comment on the grill - I have since learned the error of my ways. A deer wiped out the original grill about 3 months after I bought it, and this one was less than one-third the price of an OEM replacement.)

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
For $4K, unless it is stolen or does not have a valid title, you can't go wrong.

If it runs and drives well, can be put in 4HI and 4LO, has no massive rust all over and is not stolen, buy it.
Sponsored