First Name
Angus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD
Occupation
builder
Hey all. So just a week ago I got a 2011 jeep unlimited sport. Already the throw out bearing needed to be replaced because of a whining sound from the clutch. Brought it in yesterday morning and they had it all fixed up by night - covered under warranty. I then today tried shifting into 4WD hi - I was stopped in a fast food drive through and just wanted to test everything out... well, as I pulled, the stick just moved freely, and didn't move out of 2W hi. The 4wd stick just moves with slack and doesn't change the 2wd/4wd. My jeep has under 1k miles on it, and already these two problems. Anyone know the cause of this, and will it be covered under warranty also? I would expect it has to be, just want opinions of what it is. thanks!
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all. So just a week ago I got a 2011 jeep unlimited sport. Already the throw out bearing needed to be replaced because of a whining sound from the clutch. Brought it in yesterday morning and they had it all fixed up by night - covered under warranty. I then today tried shifting into 4WD hi - I was stopped in a fast food drive through and just wanted to test everything out... well, as I pulled, the stick just moved freely, and didn't move out of 2W hi. The 4wd stick just moves with slack and doesn't change the 2wd/4wd. My jeep has under 1k miles on it, and already these two problems. Anyone know the cause of this, and will it be covered under warranty also? I would expect it has to be, just want opinions of what it is. thanks!

This is a Wrangler JL (MY 2018 >) forum, but you may get some help from others who have previous Wrangler models.

If you haven't already, you may want to try here: https://www.wranglerforum.com/

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
This forum is usually for 2018 and newer Wranglers, the JL. I am sure there are others for the JK, which was produced before the current JL. Sorry that you are having problems. But maybe there are people here that can help anyway.

My jeep has under 1k miles on it, and already these two problems. Anyone know the cause of this, and will it be covered under warranty also? I would expect it has to be, just want opinions of what it is. thanks!
Warranty will vary by how many total miles on the Jeep, the dealer that sold it. I would guess if its 9 years old, there is no warranty. But if you bought from a used car dealer, there is a chance they have one for 30-90 days, however, if you don't know if you have one, you probably don't.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So just a week ago I got a 2011 jeep unlimited sport. My jeep has under 1k miles on it
I’m guessing the year is a typo?

Otherwise an 8-year old Jeep with less than 1,000 miles on it?!

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I’m guessing the year is a typo?

Otherwise an 8-year old Jeep with less than 1,000 miles on it?!
I'm not sure if the year is a typo, or he meant he's only driven it himself 1,000 miles. But if it is a 2011 with only 1000 miles, I would almost expect problems since it just sat still for so long.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming this is a 2018 yes it will be covered by warranty. You have a bumper to bumper 36k and drivetrain 50k if I remember correctly.
If it is a 2011 like your typed then you most likely have some sort of after market or dealer warranty which would most likely be for a relatively short period of time.
Either way get it into the dealer asap.

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
on the older JK's it was very common for the clip that held the transfer case shifter cable in place to break thus not allowing you to shift your 4WD shifter lever. This is a common problem and easy repair.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like the mechanic forgot to reattach the 4wd linkage or cable, while replacing your throw out bearing. Well worth climbing under for a check.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Might I recommend that if you truly have a 2011 Wrangler with only 1,000 mile on it that you sell it and buy a Bicycle.

because if it is the case that you are getting very little enjoyment out of it. I have had my ‘20 just over 1.5 months and have already been to 4 States plus Ontario Canada. My view..... I bought it to drive it.

Sorry but we all must be missing your point.

Last edited:

Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Might I recommend that if you truly have a 2011 Wrangler with only 1,000 mile on it that you sell it and buy a Bicycle.

because if it the care you are getting very little enjoyment out of it. I have had my ‘20 just over 1.5 months and have already been to 4 States plus Ontario Canada. My view..... bought it to drive it.

Sorry but we all must be missing your point.
1000 miles in 8 years is about 2.9 miles a day. A bicycle is not a bad suggestion.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
on the older JK's it was very common for the clip that held the transfer case shifter cable in place to break thus not allowing you to shift your 4WD shifter lever. This is a common problem and easy repair.
It is most likely this.
Sponsored