20 inch wheels with 33’s

Jmpow79

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon JLU
Has anyone run a 33x12.50 with 20 inch wheels? Trying to decide on 33 or 35 with stock suspension.
Sponsored

Chowbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Has anyone run a 33x12.50 with 20 inch wheels? Trying to decide on 33 or 35 with stock suspension.
You may have already found, but 33 on 20 is a no go. It looks redonkulous and will make your jeep non-off-roadable. If you go 20, you will want at least a 37 tire minimum, and that cannot happen without a lift.

My plan is to go 18/33 on stock suspension, which I think is probably the max one could pull off.

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
:stop:

Footbull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited White Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
You may have already found, but 33 on 20 is a no go. It looks redonkulous and will make your jeep non-off-roadable. If you go 20, you will want at least a 37 tire minimum, and that cannot happen without a lift.

My plan is to go 18/33 on stock suspension, which I think is probably the max one could pull off.
You can pull of 35’s with 20 in wheels in my opinion, if off roading is not a priority.

Chowbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
You can pull of 35’s with 20 in wheels in my opinion, if off roading is not a priority.
Word, but not sure if you can get away with 35s on stock suspension (especially non-rubi). If you know otherwise, then that may change a lot for my future plans as well

Sponsored

martyb511

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara, 15 Lexus CT200h, 15 Toyota Highlander Ltd
Whoops..need to clarify. #2 link above is a 33” diameter in the form of 275/60/20 not 33/12.5/20

RAZE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Granite Rubicon, 14 BMW 650, 87 Mustang GT 5.0
20's with 33 inch tires do not look right on a JKU. Therefore, it would look even worse on the larger JLU.

Sponsored

CashMonkey

First Name
Rolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grey 2009 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 5SPDMT Black 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Sedan 6SPDAT
Vehicle Showcase
You'll be fine with 33's on 20's. Yeah you wont be able to rock crawl, but if you're like me where I live rock crawling isn't really a thing anyways, youll be fine with light trails/farmers roads and things like that. I live in the prairies where its all flat. So off-roading is back country trails, farmers roads, hunting trails, maybe mudding if you got lifts and a proper set up. I plan to put 20's with 33's on my JLU, I don't really care what anyone else says my jeep will be driven off-road 30 to 40% of the time, and will be with me on the trails for deer season.

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
The tires on my pickup were basically 33" in diameter (275/60R20) and they seemed fairly proportional in that they still had a lot of rubber between the rim and the road, so hitting a pothole would not mean busting a sidewall like with the kids and their low profile 20" tires on their cars. Also, the tires stuck out far enough from the face of the rims that if you scraped up against a concrete curb, you didn't damage the rims, you only buffed the rubber a bit. Around here, going off-road does not mean rock-crawling, it means mud, pastures, and maybe some hunting trails. Things are pretty flat around here, so you don't really need that super low gear ratio that you can get for the Rubicon. If you only occasionally go off-road and live in an area like this, 20" rims could definitely be an acceptable choice for many people.

I have a spare set of 20" rims from my Ram 1500 leftover after I sold the truck and it would be nice if I could get a use out of them with the JL that I've ordered. With the bolt pattern adapters though, it might make for a bit wide of a stance, so I'm not sure what it will look like. I'm going to have to play around with it when the JL comes in to see if it is worth pursuing. The best I can tell, with a bolt pattern adapter that is 1.5" thick, I'll end up with the inner edge of the tire around 1.88" further outboard than the stock tires and the outer sidewall 3.08" farther out.

Buckeyekf

First Name
KM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport

This is an old post but I disagree with the response. 33x12.5 on 20 rims is fine for off road trails. I would steer clear of rock climbing but fine for trails. Give the keep an aggressive stance.look too.

33x12.5 on 20 in rims works fine for trails...also looks good for an aggressive stance.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
This is an old post but I disagree with the response. 33x12.5 on 20 rims is fine for off road trails. I would steer clear of rock climbing but fine for trails. Give the keep an aggressive stance.look too.

33x12.5 on 20 in rims works fine for trails...also looks good for an aggressive stance.
We all have different opinions, when it comes to 20's on a Wrangler. But everybody to their own...

Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ!
Congrats on owning a Wrangler!

JL Wrangler Forum, is a Family friendly Forum, including Members with a wealth of Wrangler knowledge. Please join into the conversation, as we share this Wrangler knowledge, with one another. We hope that you have a pleasurable experience, as a new member.

Jeep Wrangler JL 20 inch wheels with 33’s {filename}
Sponsored