20,000 miles and she’s broken

CFallon1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
Bought my brand new 2020 JL last July. Started making a whirring sound. Rear differential is gone and the dealership has my Jeep sitting in the lot for 8 days now. They are “waiting for a part” so they can fix it. No offer for a loaner or rental. Dumb.
Sponsored

cs2k

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Occupation
Engineer
Started making a whirring sound. Rear differential is gone
Do you have any more details on what happened to the rear diff? did the diff leak from the cover/seals and the gears blew up? did a bearing go bad and seize up?

Last edited:

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
I don't know what model of JL you have or how you might use it; but, if you can afford it, you might think about just spending the money to use this as the opportunity to replace that stock rear axle with a stronger aftermarket version, maybe something stronger and with a better reputation, maybe even a ProFloat XD60. I understand wanting FCA/Stellantis to properly meet their obligations; but, you could be waiting a long time, losing the opportunity to use what you paid them for, and spending a lot on alternative transportation in the meantime.

Sponsored

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
Why no rental car?
thats my question also... @ Autonation Ford I had to fight every time to get a damn rental and I had my car in there a half dozen times. Hopefully the dealer isn't cheap like that.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
A little more info would help. What kind of Jeep? You say it's gone, but what does that mean? Did it go out, is the lockers not working, or anything else? How did it go out? Were you off roading, or just cruising down the highway. We are all here to help, and let you vent but a little info in your post help us out a lot.

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Whenever mine has been to the dealer for warranty work, I don't wait for them to "offer" a loaner/rental. I flat out tell them I need a loaner/rental. It has never been a problem.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
We keep about 25 vehicles in loaner service. They are usually always scheduled out. We try to make sure everyone gets one. Now sometimes people want one that didn't request and that is always a problem. We can only do so much.

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
We keep about 25 vehicles in loaner service. They are usually always scheduled out. We try to make sure everyone gets one. Now sometimes people want one that didn't request and that is always a problem. We can only do so much.
I guess I'm lucky. My dealer does not have a loaner fleet. They shuttle us over to Enterprise to pick up a rental, which gets billed directly to the dealership. Cars are always available. Once I got a Dodge Challenger (unfortunately not a Hell Cat) and other times it was a JL Sahara.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like another lsd selectrac failure. The clutch prematurely wore out, turned the diff oil into an abrasive mud, and the pinion and carrier bearings got wiped out by all the grit.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
my dealer gives free loaner for any repair, reserves some newer vehicles for warranty and used trade ins as loaners, no BS anyone gets one.
Sponsored