Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. So I want to change the stock wheels. What’s a good set up you’d say for the rubicon. Any brand of wheels to look into? And I’d like a beefier tire look.
I’m glad we got this conversation away from 20"+ and back on 17” wheels.

Quadratec and AEV have some of the best 17” Jeep wheels out there IMO. They are well made, lightweight, relatively affordable, bolt right on and don’t look over the top.

This might not be your cup of tea, but these are my Quadratec wheels. I’m going for the "retro" look. The white really makes the Firecracker red pop.

Good luck!
Jeep Wrangler JL 20’s or 22’s which to choose and why? _DSC0003.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL 20’s or 22’s which to choose and why? 16269A41-8AE0-41E9-8283-994705B8D24D
Sponsored

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
I drove with the OEM's for about 10,000 miles before moving to 20s. Thinking a Jeep is going to ride nice because of a tire dimension is silly IMO. If you're looking for a nice ride stick with a Lexus. I've driven lowered cars with small profile tires my entire life. Raising my Jeep was totally foreign. In the end I can't tell a difference between the 17s and 20 in how they ride. Saying that 20's don't even belong on a Jeep is a bit silly too considering Jeep does it themselves.
eDG40nr.jpg

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
17in Icon Rebound Pros.
Mine go on next week! If you count the stock ones and the next set of stock ones...it's my 4th set of wheels in 8K miles. I think these are the winners. Wish they had replaceable rash rings.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I drove with the OEM's for about 10,000 miles before moving to 20s. Thinking a Jeep is going to ride nice because of a tire dimension is silly IMO. If you're looking for a nice ride stick with a Lexus. I've driven lowered cars with small profile tires my entire life. Raising my Jeep was totally foreign. In the end I can't tell a difference between the 17s and 20 in how they ride. Saying that 20's don't even belong on a Jeep is a bit silly too considering Jeep does it themselves.
eDG40nr.jpg
If your use case isn't rock crawling (and you're not running 42's), then there's nothing wrong with running 20's. And even then, you just will scrape them up more.

And holy crap, you're right they do offer 20's. I had no idea, hah. Back in the day, the JK I believe only had 18's on a Sahara.

Sponsored

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

I vote you go for 22s. Why? Because I think it would look nice with 46" tires. Obviously you're not putting 20s or 22s with just some 35s, 37s, 40s, that would be silly. :LOL:

cafecito820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
If you like how your factory wheels look, and just want your Jeep to sit chonky, I would take a look at Quadratec's wheels. They're wider than factory wheels (to accommodate wider tires), but they also have less offset than factory wheels, so they achieve more "poke", which will give you that sitting chonky look you're after. They're also substantially less expensive than most other brands.

Quadratec Morphic Wheel for 07-22 Jeep Wrangler JL, JK & Gladiator JT | Quadratec

I strongly echo what others have said regarding 17s. Unless you really, really want to sacrifice usability for aesthetic purposes, there's no reason to run 20s or 22s. It's harder to find tires that fit them, and the wheels and tires themselves are no cheaper.

This is my Gladiator with Quadratec wheels:
Jeep Wrangler JL 20’s or 22’s which to choose and why? 1675191959907

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The “aesthetic” value of 20+ inch wheels on a Jeep is questionable IMO.

Yes, this is a free world, and everyone is free to spend their money however they want.

But for those who didn’t get the memo, 20+ inch wheels scream “HEY, LOOK AT ME! I’M NEW TO JEEPS!”

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
I'll just say this - it's all about sidewall protection. 17's and even 18's with the right tire like the KO2 will get you back home. A cut tire is no fun.

Big wheels with hardly any sidewall for tires spell disaster outside of parking lots and boulevards. Clip a curb and buy a new wheel and tire or worse.

Great advice in this thread no matter what you choose. I moved from 18's to 17's for the better tire choices and sidewalls.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Mine go on next week! If you count the stock ones and the next set of stock ones...it's my 4th set of wheels in 8K miles. I think these are the winners. Wish they had replaceable rash rings.
Amen to the replaceable rings!!! I'm already cringing about my Rubicon trail trip in June.

Sponsored

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The JL Rubicon is an amazingly capable vehicle right off the lot.
Jeeps are probably the most customizable vehicles out there too, with an amazing aftermarket.
Go ahead and make it your own as far as looks and comfort go, but I tent to find out it's limitations before replacing or adding suspension, drivetrain and other functional parts.
You're missing her point. It's really got nothing to do with function. A Forester would meet her functional needs. She's all about looks and image. Which is fine. Get the 20s and enjoy.

The reality is that the off roading she's described could be done by a Volvo station wagon.. So function is pretty much irrlevant. She just shouldn't get something so low profile that she can't air down for the beach. So I'm thinking 20s with 315/60-20.

That will give her a roughly 35 inch tire. Nitto makes a Recon Grapler in that size.

I think the biggest issue is going to be when she puts her foot down. Going from a SRT Durango to a Wrangler with anything other than a 392 or 4xe is going to feel anemic.

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If you are going 20" rim, then please do get a 38" tire so that it looks proportionate and has enough flex in the rubber if you ever need to air down off-road

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
First the angry bumper post. Now this...

Go with 35 inch tires on 17s. Or if you want an even beefier look, 37s on 17s look awesome. Youll need a lift kit for 37s.

If you go with 20in wheels, get 40in tires.

Large wheels, small tires, dont look "beefy". They look like this:

Jeep Wrangler JL 20’s or 22’s which to choose and why? 1_-_National_Museum_of_American_History_-_DSC00339

Last edited: