Moparmami

Moparmami

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe Earl
One of the great things about Jeep. Pretty much any mod you want to make, someone has made it already and posted pics on the internet. :)
I had the rock star 2 on my lifted gt Durango and I loved them. I’m looking at them again. They also come in 17” 18” and 20”
Sponsored

OP
OP
Moparmami

Moparmami

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are you going to do with it? If you are going off-road you will thank all those that say to stick with 17s. If you want a mall crawler then 20s max. Don’t get grose by going bigger on wheel diameter. For that matter I never understood why someone would want a jeep and not go off road.
Not gonna lie. I just saw this passing the dealer, loved the color and wanted a change so I’m learning. I don’t want to just jump on a trail cause I have it I wanna be smart but also wanna look nice. This is tough 😝

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Not gonna lie. I just saw this passing the dealer, loved the color and wanted a change so I’m learning. I don’t want to just jump on a trail cause I have it I wanna be smart but also wanna look nice. This is tough 😝
Best advice I think I can give you is take your time, do some soul searching, and researching. This forum is amazing for all of the above.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You can drive yourself crazy trying to find the perfect tire & wheel combo, 17s are best for off road and also for tire selection, and should be cheaper overall vs the same brand tire/wheel in a 18 to 20" size. I'd try to stick w/ name brand tires and wheels, there are many cheap options, but tires and wheels are one of the most important parts on your Jeep regarding safety and overall handling. Something you want to take some time researching for sure!

I'd consider up to a 315/70/17 or 35x12.5x17 tire for your Rubicon, it will give you that beefier look you're after but not take up too much of the suspension so it will still function well off road. Also wheel offset is important to consider as you don't really want your wheels sticking way out like a skateboard, or tucked too far in where you may have contact issues.

OP
OP
Moparmami

Moparmami

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Best advice I think I can give you is take your time, do some soul searching, and researching. This forum is amazing for all of the above.
I love the fact you said soul searching. 😂🤣 but you are correct! Thank you!

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Solid advice @blnewt. Here is what I did. 315 BFG KO2s on 17in Icon Rebound Pros. Offset is 0mm as compared to the OEM stock Rubicon wheels that are +44mm. This means two things. No rubbing at full flex (off-road) and a little tire poke (sticking out past fender). It’s a look many like but it throws water and mud… maybe sand in your case along the sides of your Jeep. Hopefully others will chime in with more teaser pics.

EA007E95-F46E-4F06-BD94-79E87AAB273A.jpeg
85419947-AF4C-4FF4-808F-ED7CE68B04AD.jpeg
EB332F98-ADD2-4C20-9BF5-26F9CD3A6EFA.jpeg

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The KO2 AT tires you have on there are already about the best tires you can get for your use case. They're good on road and when aired down they're good in beach sand. They're not the best in mud but it doesn't sound like you're going there.

But you want the Jeep to sit wide and beefy. All you need for that is some aftermarket wheels. Stick with 17" wheels. You already have 17" tires, you significantly limit your tire options later on with a larger wheel and you reduce its off-road ability. Your stock wheels have a +44 offset. If you get aftermarket wheels with a 0 to +30 offset you'll move the tires further out (the lower the offset the wider tire poke you'll get). That alone will give you the wide and beefy look you're going for.

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
-12 offset or less, on 17” rims. Run 38x13.5x17 tires and you’ll be thick and chunky for sure

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
What are you going to do with it? If you are going off-road you will thank all those that say to stick with 17s. If you want a mall crawler then 20s max. Don’t get grose by going bigger on wheel diameter. For that matter I never understood why someone would want a jeep and not go off road.
I agree......

I certainly dislike the looks of “rubber band” tires on 22’s.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Contrary to popular belief around here…I’m loving my 20” wheels on 35” BfGoodrich KM3 Mud Terrains. Obviously if you’ll be doing serious rock crawling and airing down you will want to stick with 17” wheels, but I take mine off-roading frequently (in the summer) with no issues (minus all the scratches from spinning the tires in mud). Honestly though, I am getting an itch to go to 37’s with 17’s.

Jeep Wrangler JL 20’s or 22’s which to choose and why? 4E57110A-B881-473D-B7EB-C825BE858EA7

Jeep Wrangler JL 20’s or 22’s which to choose and why? 64101BC1-6F85-44DA-89E8-E348BC052CE7

Sponsored

JW-UK

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
D110, Foers Ibex
OP, Why? Is the real part of your question that needs to be asked. :)

Why doesn't Jeep fit 20s or 22s to a 392, if they are a more suitable size?
and,
Why do they waste thousands of hours on research, design, testing and development, when someone is going to change the wheel and tyre size based purely on THE WAY IT LOOKS? ;)

I firmly believe that changing to either size you propose will only make the Jeep worse as an everyday drive. Worse ride, handling, steering, possibly noise, probably slower, less fuel efficient and more expensive for tyres.

But if you think it looks better, I hope you'll be happy with it.
If you're just wanting a wheel that looks different, pick something in the same size (17") from a reputable brand.:like:

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Leave it stock. For your usecase, it's probably the best.

If you're set on changing the wheels, would stay 17x9, and a -12 offset (or 4.5" back spacing, basically the same thing if I recall correctly), and stick with the BFG KO2's. the KO series are the best tires I've ever run on my Jeeps. They last long, and if you air them down they do well in rocks and sand. The only place you'll have trouble is deep mud, which, stay away from that- you live in NY and it causes rust. Check out the looks of the stock xtreme recon (XR) package Jeeps, I think that will give you a good idea.

If you're looking for wheels with a simulated beadlock/ Rash ring: I run Vision Nemesis wheels, got them for ~$160/wheel on sale from discount tire. More affordable than most other simulated beadlock options and cheaper than beadlocks, for sure.

As for getting into trails: Drive it stock. learn how it handles. Add mods as you figure out the shortcomings. I've done that with all of my Jeeps. It makes you amuch better driver in terms of figuring out how to choose lines. Seek out your local off road club or group, most legitimate ones (read: Not a bunch of yahoos in a FB group) will be willing to teach you about off road driving. Long Island Off Road is one I know for sure. There are some very experienced people in that group who are also good people.

OP
OP
Moparmami

Moparmami

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Leave it stock. For your usecase, it's probably the best.

If you're set on changing the wheels, would stay 17x9, and a -12 offset (or 4.5" back spacing, basically the same thing if I recall correctly), and stick with the BFG KO2's. the KO series are the best tires I've ever run on my Jeeps. They last long, and if you air them down they do well in rocks and sand. The only place you'll have trouble is deep mud, which, stay away from that- you live in NY and it causes rust. Check out the looks of the stock xtreme recon (XR) package Jeeps, I think that will give you a good idea.

If you're looking for wheels with a simulated beadlock/ Rash ring: I run Vision Nemesis wheels, got them for ~$160/wheel on sale from discount tire. More affordable than most other simulated beadlock options and cheaper than beadlocks, for sure.

As for getting into trails: Drive it stock. learn how it handles. Add mods as you figure out the shortcomings. I've done that with all of my Jeeps. It makes you amuch better driver in terms of figuring out how to choose lines. Seek out your local off road club or group, most legitimate ones (read: Not a bunch of yahoos in a FB group) will be willing to teach you about off road driving. Long Island Off Road is one I know for sure. There are some very experienced people in that group who are also good people.
Thank you!!!!! We’re so used to modifying our cars, trucks and such so it’s like the first thing we do. But we’ve never had a Jeep so I feel lost 🤣😂

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you!!!!! We’re so used to modifying our cars, trucks and such so it’s like the first thing we do. But we’ve never had a Jeep so I feel lost 🤣😂
The JL Rubicon is an amazingly capable vehicle right off the lot.
Jeeps are probably the most customizable vehicles out there too, with an amazing aftermarket.
Go ahead and make it your own as far as looks and comfort go, but I tent to find out it's limitations before replacing or adding suspension, drivetrain and other functional parts.

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Don't change a thing. Even for just beach cruising, the 17's will provide a much better ride and much easier to air down. You can drive thousands of miles on those rubi wheels and people will still want to buy them for a good amount later on, so you have time to think about it.
Sponsored