Sponsored

2 vs. 4 Doors & Soft vs. Hard Top

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 6-speed manual, 2011 Compass 5-speed manual
I bought a two door soft top and added the hard top and install to my purchase. Couldn't find the two door 6 speed hard top I wanted during employee pricing frenzy last spring. My unused soft top adorns my unused fireplace.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
if it is just you get the 2 door.
If it is for a family get the 2 door.
If you wanna go camping get the 2 door.
If you wanna go wheeling get the 2 door.

A hardtop solve storage issues if you have 2 people riding in the back. Softops are very convenient though, but a hardtop is more practical for carrying gear or kayaks.

If you have 3 kids you obviously cant get the 2 door.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Ultimately for me the extra room is welcome. Yeah it's always there whether you always need it or not. But with a 2dr, you can't add more space when you need it, at least not easily. You can get roof storage, but if you're on a road trip by yourself, roof storage isn't very convenient.
If you are on a roadtrip by yourself you dont need to haul stuff up top. the 2 door has a lot of room with the rear bench out.

You ultimately get used to the space and end up being grateful you didnt go 4 door.

i ordered a small squaredrop camper so I can keep my 2 door and still take the family camping.

It isnt that hard to add space and I wanted a small camper anyway.

Sponsored

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
If you are on a roadtrip by yourself you dont need to haul stuff up top. the 2 door has a lot of room with the rear bench out.

You ultimately get used to the space and end up being grateful you didnt go 4 door.

i ordered a small squaredrop camper so I can keep my 2 door and still take the family camping.

It isnt that hard to add space and I wanted a small camper anyway.
My daughter (13 at the time) and I took a 10 day road trip to YSNP and GTNP a few years ago. My photography gear takes up a bit more space than typical luggage for one person so in addition to camping gear we had luggage for 3.5 peeps.

We had my JKU packed to the gills. Back was full to the top, back seat was full as well. We were never in one spot for more than a couple days so we had to unpack and repack every other day. My daughter was amazed at my "Tetris skills" as she called them.

Too me, a little too much space is better than not quite as much as I need at times. When I do need it, it's there. It is much easier to pack when I make the occasional trip to Sam's Club. It's a DD so I do some mundane stuff with it. I definitely don't need a Suburban or Expedition or a Grand Wagoneer. The Wrangler Unlimited is the perfect size.

On this trip I learned to hate the JK soft top for long road trips. We always had stuff in it so I wasn't comfortable leaving the top down anywhere so it was up the whole time. The zipper in the back window is a PITA to have to open/close every day!! That was the last long road trip I took with the soft top. Hopefully the new JL top will be better in this regard.

OP
OP
NotoriouslyHauteOne
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Jeep/New Jeeper
Jeep Wrangler JL 2 vs. 4 Doors & Soft vs. Hard Top 36CA52ED-42D1-4B91-85A3-5DF8EE71A72E

📷 from Jeep.com builder

UPDATE!!

Earlier this evening, placed order for a 2-door Willys, with the black premium soft top, in Tuscadero with black cloth interior. Went with the 2-litre 4-cylinder, Technology Package, Gorilla Glass, Alpine Sound, and the soft top window storage bag.

😁🥰😁🥰

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
Never considered the four door.
Only interested in having the 2 door model.
But I am glad the four door Wranglers exist because Jeep has done a great job with them, managed to keep them real Jeeps, and the four-door models have lowered the barriers to Wrangler ownership (no room! my kids! what-you call that a back seat?!) and that has probably been the reason 2 door Jeeps continue to be available and to be real Jeeps. The 2 door Jeep is a special kind of vehicle that everyone loves but fewer consider for actual ownership, so the great looking four door can keep the 2 door financially viable because it's been so successful. Just a theory.

Just ordered a 2 door Rubicon hardtop in sting-grey on Saturday so I'm encouraged by N.H.One above getting the "it's shipped" call just 25 days after ordering.
Reason I'm so sure about the 2 door JLR is that I'm coming from driving my 2000 TJ, 3" lift on 33s, for 21 years, original owner, and have never wished it was bigger or smoother or had trouble storing camping gear. In fact I'm a little worried the (2 door) JLR I test-drove seemed so roomy and civilized ;-) Just like with my TJ, I loved the quick handling and nimbleness of the 2 door JLR. So easy to get into (too easy?) compared to a TJ where just a 3" lift means you have to get a right leg way up into that door hatch.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I went with a 4door Jeep for two reasons. 1. i was planning on having a kid in the near future when i bought it ( my daughter is now 3 weeks old and when i put the car seat in i am extremely thankful for the rear doors ) and 2 i needed more space and fuel as I love to do multi-day trips camping and exploring. Now with the baby its going to increase the gear a bit for these trips. with this i knew i was going hard top because i wanted to have a roof top tent for sleeping. My next jeep after my jeep is paid off and give the wife the 4 door, I will get a 2 door soft top. hoping with the 6 speed 3.6 in Sarge green with the tan top

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cool you went 2 door you are gonna love it. or hate it. lol.

I have a 2 door, and a 10.5 month old baby. I have no trouble getting the baby seat through the passenger door. I also have no trouble at all getting the baby in the car seat. Cargo is the main issue, but I got a squaredrop trailer that's still being built. Hitch racks and roof racks work great to carry gear. Hitch rack for on road use only tho.

I'd only get a 4 door if I had 3 kids. Or a large dog.

I hope the next gen Jeep also offers a 2 door option. Because I am not going 4 door.

We do have a 4 door car at home. Which I use for commuting and sometimes to drive around town. It is more convenient for sure. But we have a pretty demanding baby (arent they all? lol) and she complaints less about it when she is in the Jeep. I think she likes the bumpier ride idk.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
northern va here....
we dont get a ton of snow. My brother has a hard top JK. While i liked the hard top ive always thought jeeps should be loud fun colors, and topless. so i bought a punkin 4 dr soft top. Top is down until it gets to cold for my son. I absolutely love the convenience of the sof top. 4 door because the day I ordered it i had a wife, and grandson. Now i dont LOL. but i still love the room the 4 door has for carrying things. I use my jeep as a weekend toy, and its our travel vehicle. Oh, and it gets to sit inside most of the time.
Sponsored