Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody ever just mounted a 35" spare directly to the factory tailgate? Do you "have" to buy the whole re-enforcement and relocation kit or is that just more money they try to sucker us out of? :)
I mounted my 35 directly to the factory mount in back. There was about a 1" space between the spacers and I filled it with a black rubber chair tip from Home Depot. Kinda like these.

upload_2018-10-12_14-18-46.png
Sponsored

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
So here's the wheels and tires. Still gonna get a front bumper and some steps. Measures 27-1/4" at the door sill, so I started at 21-3/4" and now at 27-1/4". That's a total of 5-1/2" from a 2" lift and 35" tires.
As far as the ride, it seems a little "twitchy". Again I don't have a lot of experience with the jeep ride since I haven't owned one in many years. I'm
going to take it trailing this weekend to check clearances!

Anybody ever just mounted a 35" spare directly to the factory tailgate? Do you "have" to buy the whole re-enforcement and relocation kit or is that just more money they try to sucker us out of? :)

SPECS:

Method MR305 NV
BF Goodrich 35" T/A KO2
2" Mopar Lift

Cheers!!

Close up of clearance.jpg
Height.jpg
Side view.jpg
To my eye your Jeep looks like it is leaning backward but didn't look that way with the factory tires. Does it look level to you in person? Maybe you need a winch now to level it out. :) Also, I realize you have a Sport, but that is quite a lot of lift out of a 2" kit.

Lift kit stoc 3.jpg
Side view.jpg

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
So here's the wheels and tires. Still gonna get a front bumper and some steps. Measures 27-1/4" at the door sill, so I started at 21-3/4" and now at 27-1/4". That's a total of 5-1/2" from a 2" lift and 35" tires.
As far as the ride, it seems a little "twitchy". Again I don't have a lot of experience with the jeep ride since I haven't owned one in many years. I'm
going to take it trailing this weekend to check clearances!

SPECS:

Method MR305 NV
BF Goodrich 35" T/A KO2
2" Mopar Lift

Cheers!!

Close up of clearance.jpg
Height.jpg
Side view.jpg
Looks great !!!!

I have my 35" mounted on tailgate with zero issue . There's also a Youtube out with the engineer / designer that says the JL tailgates are made to hold a 35" tire & wheel

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
Before and after.
@FrankieFJL The slight 2-door lean back is exaggerated from the heavy spare levering down the back. Mine levels out nice when I take off the spare. The springs on the lift seem to lessen the backwards rake, to my eyes
IMG_0272 (1).jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

silversgrfx

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
The diameter of the 35" BFG tires is 34.5". The stock carrier is suppose to be able to fit up to 35" with the adjustable 3rd brake light. at 35" and up on the stock carrier weight would be a concern.

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
The tailgate reinforcing plate is supposed to be used on anything other than the stock tire I was told. Although a 35 inch tire will fit physically it’s still heavier than the stock 33 inch tire or metric equivalent 32.5 inch tall tires. I think anything other than stock requires the Mopar tailgate reinforcement. Of course all these jeeps are brand new now so I wouldn’t expect any failures yet it’ll take a few years of bouncing around to see the true facts of the heavy tire back there

OP
OP
G Man

G Man

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport 2 Door
Well I tried to mount my 35 on the stock spare holder. No luck. The tire rubbed all over the bumper. I could physically force it on, but when I open and close the tailgate it definitely created some resistance. I ordered a Rough Country relocation bracket. I'll make a call on the tailgate reinforcement once I get the spare mounted.
After researching many opinions online I believe the tail gate will support the weight of the spare and wheel. I guess time will tell, I'm leaning to no added support.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
When I lift and put 37’s on my new Rubicon I’m going to keep the factory size spare tire and wheel why? Because it doesn’t matter , what that’s crazy ! This is my logic.

It’s the perfect weight for the tailgate , easier to install if I have a flat. Less Likely to get stolen.
But if I have a flat Don’t both size tires have to be the same size? Yes and no
The Rubicon has open differentials front and rear factory no clutches meaning as long as the differential is unlocked tire size left and right does not matter. So if I have a flat on the front no problem if I have a flat on the rear I could put a front tire on the rear , spare on the front so my rears match or I could put the spare on the rear and just not lock the rear differential no problem. Think about how many times you actually got a flat and changed a tire not many I bet . 99% of the jeeps I see around their spares are all brand new with the stickers still on the tires. Of course this is just for me I don’t do constant hard-core offloading if I did nothing but offloading I would have a full size spare because I would need the locker more to get home but for occasional off roading and normal people driving the factory spare is fine.

gone2trackin

First Name
Eva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
When I lift and put 37’s on my new Rubicon I’m going to keep the factory size spare tire and wheel why? Because it doesn’t matter , what that’s crazy ! This is my logic.

It’s the perfect weight for the tailgate , easier to install if I have a flat. Less Likely to get stolen.
The Rubicon has open differentials front and rear factory no clutches meaning as long as the differential is unlocked tire size left and right does not matter. So if I have a flat on the front no problem if I have a flat on the rear I could put a front tire on the rear , spare on the front so my rears match or I could put the spare on the rear and just not lock the rear differential no problem. Think about how many times you actually got a flat and changed a tire not many I bet . 99% of the jeeps I see around their spares are all brand new with the stickers still on the tires. Of course this is just for me I don’t do constant hard-core offloading if I did nothing but offloading I would have a full size spare because I would need the locker more to get home but for occasional off roading and normal people driving the factory spare is fine.
I agree about the spare. I just keep a tire cover over my stock spare and call it good.

44035537_10217794565804108_2825474356279246848_n.jpg

pcpopcorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Firecracker Red

Great Idea and probably saves about $2 Grand
Sponsored