2-month old JL Rubicon battery died, service dept. says it’s normal

IrishJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Rubicon
When I asked my dealership’s service department guy why my JL’s battery was completely dead after not driving it for just 2 days, he says “it happens, these new cars have more technology and electronics.”

Me: “So was it a weak/bad battery from the factory?”
Him: “No, there’s no such thing as a bad battery from the factory.”
Me: “But this Jeep is 2 months old. Was there no electrical or alternator issues?”
Him: “No, everything else is fine.”
Me: “I don’t get it, it just randomly drained? The tow truck guy said it was completely dead.”
Him: “There’s just no telling how long they will last.”
Me: “So you’re telling me this could happen every 2 months and I’ll be back to replace the battery regularly?”
Him: “Maybe, it’s possible. It could die tomorrow.”

:movember:
Sponsored

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
Main battery or aux?

OP
OP
IrishJeff

IrishJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Rubicon
Main battery or aux?
Main. Tow truck driver could not start it with his portable charger, he had to jump it with his truck.

I'm hesitant to let it sit for more than 2 days now.

MACjeeps

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Sting Gray, 3.6L | 2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Rhino | 1979 CJ5
Main. Tow truck driver could not start it with his portable charger, he had to jump it with his truck.

I'd be hesitant to go back to that dealership. Maybe try another dealership to have them evaluate the new battery to make sure it is not draining irregularly. You shouldn't have an issue if working correctly. I guess if that dealership replaces the battery enough times they will look deeper and figure it out if there is an issue.

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Batteries seem to be junk now and are totally unpredictable. I've started load testing (CA & CCA) all mine and keeping track of them in a spreadsheet to determine how fast they'll die. Decades ago I could tell when a battery was going to die based on it cranking slower or lights dimming when you used your blinker at night.

I seriously doubt they do anything at the factory other than install the battery. It could definitely be a bad battery from the vendor who won the contract based on lowest price.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
I would take it to another dealership and get it evaluated. The battery shouldn't drain after being left for a few days. I work from home and my V6 can sit there for 4-5 days sometimes between starts. I've never had an issue.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP.

Find another dealer. The guy you were talking to was either trying to blow you off or is just foolish.

What you should have asked him is if every single car that sits on the dealer lot ready for sale needs to be jump started every two days.......

Had you asked him that he probably would have said: ‘yep, maybe. You never know’.......

Then, you could have satisfied yourself that he was likely just lazy and wanted you gone.

Oh, and I would write to the General Manager of the dealership and copy FCA. I would include the name of the person you spoke to. I would tell them, politely, exactly what you wrote here and I would ask them if it’s normal for a Jeep”s battery to die after 2 days. Then, I would tell them both that you have no confidence in the dealership and their ability to diagnose a problem. I would further tell them that you will be looking for another dealer to maintain your Jeep and that you intend to tell everyone you can think of about your experience at this dealer.

If the battery wasn’t bad from the factory then there is another problem. Period.

TexRivers

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Hope they find the real problem. I had an Infinity that drained the battery every time I left it at the airport for 3-4 days. After 6-7 trips to the dealer in the first 12 months I sold it back to them.

Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Batteries are junk, they are the lowest cost batteries the mfg can get away with to get the vehicle sold. Do yourself a favor, and look to get that aux battery eliminated, and invest in a good main battery at some point when you're done dealing with the dealer's nonsense.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

I believe there is a special procedure to use the portable jump box on our two battery setups (assuming you have the 3.6)

RoadNomad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
What the dealer told you is actually insulting thinking you are an uneducated boob.

Perhaps when we have dealerships who are incompetent we should list them in our posts so that Jeep Cares (who do watch these threads) can get an idea of their problem dealerships!

Suggestion to the OP, replace the main battery, disconnect the aux negative battery cable, pull the F42 fuse and go enjoy your Jeep and don't worry about this happening again. Add the smart auto stop/start module and use ESS when you want or just shut it off and not have to worry about the button it will remember its last setting.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I skimmed the posts quickly, but don't think I saw anything about replacing both main and Aux batteries. If you just replace the main, the dead AUX battery will drain the main battery again.

I've been running with two batteries for 4+ years with no issues. However, you've got to pay attention to battery health and replace them as a set of two. I replaced my Aux battery through the passenger fender well. It's simple and quick.
Sponsored