Sponsored

2 DR JL - next phase… 35s or 37s… thoughts???

CalPolyDM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I’m looking for thoughts on the next phase of my 2 door JL build…

I originally installed the Mopar 2” lift on my sport s 2 door as well as 34” BF KO2 tires (10.5 wide)… mainly because I wanted to keep mileage, was concerned about rubbing, also about impact on the axles…

Well, times have changed and I recently picked up some Rubicon axles and plan to swap. I had previously picked up the big break kit and will be doing this too. I’ve installed the Synergy track bars, drag link, tie rod, and full control arm kit… so the only remaining parts from the Mopar lift are the shocks and springs. I also picked up some OEM half doors. So, thinking of going to 35” or 37” tires… prob will keep the KO2’s since I’m on road and use this to/from work. I really liked the look of the DCD Jeep 2 door with the half doors… just with a different color and interior.

So, looking for thoughts… 35s or 37s? Also, I have stock Rubicon wheels… will these still work or do I need to swap? I would prefer not to run spacers. Anything else?

Thanks

Here’s the current look…

Jeep Wrangler JL 2 DR JL - next phase… 35s or 37s… thoughts??? DB1EF159-07A8-442B-94B7-DF591A3E63A6
Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
Out of curiosity and so you'll get more specific responses, which trans and what is the current gearing?

OP
OP
CalPolyDM

CalPolyDM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The crate axles have 4.10 gears, I have the 3.6L w/ auto trans…

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
CalPolyDM

CalPolyDM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the aftermarket Alpine X409, has control for 8 aux items, appreciate the offer though!

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

I originally installed the Mopar 2” lift on my sport s 2 door as well as 34” BF KO2 tires (10.5 wide)… mainly because I wanted to keep mileage, was concerned about rubbing, also about impact on the axles…

Well, times have changed and I recently picked up some Rubicon axles and plan to swap. I had previously picked up the big break kit and will be doing this too. I’ve installed the Synergy track bars, drag link, tie rod, and full control arm kit… so the only remaining parts from the Mopar lift are the shocks and springs. I also picked up some OEM half doors. So, thinking of going to 35” or 37” tires… prob will keep the KO2’s since I’m on road and use this to/from work. I really liked the look of the DCD Jeep 2 door with the half doors… just with a different color and interior.

So, looking for thoughts… 35s or 37s? Also, I have stock Rubicon wheels… will these still work or do I need to swap? I would prefer not to run spacers. Anything else?

Thanks

Here’s the current look…

DB1EF159-07A8-442B-94B7-DF591A3E63A6.jpeg
Good looking Jeep!

I'd go with 315 KO2's to start, as you can always sell them later to go to 37's worst case. Unless you plan on doing any serious wheeling -- in that case, I'd probably go with a KM3 instead given you're in southern OH. My KM3's are actually great on the highway! I was shocked. They're on the smaller side and weigh a bit less than other options.

If you can find XR axles that would be even better.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Lot of opinions on whether or not factory rubicon axles are really strong enough for 37’s, but the consensus seems to be that if you aren’t abusive to your Jeep, you will be fine.

If you feel like you really like the way the 34’s perform, then 35’s will be a small upgrade with similar all around performance you’ll be happy with. That said, I have my eyes on 37’s down the line and am trying to skip 35’s after my 33’s wear out. I fully expect to regear at this time, and if you don’t want to swap out the 4.10’s, 35’s are supposed to be very comfortable at that ratio.

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
@CalPolyDM did you get the Rubicon transfer case to go w/ the axles?
If not I'd only run 35s if you plan to off road the Jeep, that 2.7:1 Lo range wouldn't fare too well w/ 37s. If you got the 4:1 from the Rubi then 37s would be easier to manage on the trail IMO.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero

Thanks

Here’s the current look…

Jeep Wrangler JL 2 DR JL - next phase… 35s or 37s… thoughts??? PXL_20220422_210909193
I like it just the way it is. Just swap the axles and see what you think. The 4.10s should do well with the 34s.

But if you must have 35s, I suggest 315 BFGs in load range C. In my opinion 37s are best for trail use aired way down for maximum traction. 35s on a 2 door is a great combination.

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
I felt 35” were too small with 3.5 lift, now with 37s it’s a little tighter but I think it looks good. I’m still on sport axles but am ready to do the rubi swap once they break. Also I went with KM3 which measures a little short of 37”.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
You don't mention what kind of terrain you wheel, so the responses will be a dart thrown at a board where the bullseye is a guess. Based on what you've posted I think 35" or 37" is a coin toss. Call it.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2 DR JL - next phase… 35s or 37s… thoughts??? 1653345549549
Sponsored