JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON JL 4 DOOR
Occupation
QA Aircraft Inspector
Vehicle Showcase
So I have a question. I have owed only 2 door Jeeps JK's Sport. I've always loved the look of the 2 door vs the 4 door Jeeps. So we went out and bought a 4 door Unlimited Rubicon. My first Rubicon. Besides the room that the 4 door Jeeps have how is it for wheeling? It has a longer wheel base then a 2 door which make it harder to get into tighter places.
I have never been a fan of 4 door Jeeps, because to me they are just a medium size SUV, not like a real 2 door Jeep. I do like how much room they have, but is it Really a Jeep?
I just want to bring this topic up to see what the Jeep community has to say about it. Thanks everybody for your thoughts on this topic. John
Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
So I have a question. I have owed only 2 door Jeeps JK's Sport. I've always loved the look of the 2 door vs the 4 door Jeeps. So we went out and bought a 4 door Unlimited Rubicon. My first Rubicon. Besides the room that the 4 door Jeeps have how is it for wheeling? It has a longer wheel base then a 2 door which make it harder to get into tighter places.
I have never been a fan of 4 door Jeeps, because to me they are just a medium size SUV, not like a real 2 door Jeep. I do like how much room they have, but is it Really a Jeep?
I just want to bring this topic up to see what the Jeep community has to say about it. Thanks everybody for your thoughts on this topic. John
There are pros and cons to both. I think the 4-door has the advantage on steep/large step ups/downs. It's probably also more stable at high speed desert type stuff. The 2-door definitely has a better turning radius and better break over angle. Just watch some of the videos of the 4-door in action. It's plenty capable.

OP
OP
mrmarco21

mrmarco21

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
QA Aircraft Inspector
Vehicle Showcase
There are pros and cons to both. I think the 4-door has the advantage on steep/large step ups/downs. It's probably also more stable at high speed desert type stuff. The 2-door definitely has a better turning radius and better break over angle. Just watch some of the videos of the 4-door in action. It's plenty capable.
Thanks I have been watching videos of the 4 Doors. Just have a hard time with a 4 door Jeep for some reason. Not sure why.

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
I think that you can simply say that you prefer one or the other without calling into question the real-ness/authenticity of either. 80% of wranglers sold are four-door. If the majority of any given group no longer shares a defining initial characteristic of that group, who’s to say which version is authentic? Where along the evolutionary path does authenticity reside?

Regarding the off-road prowess of 2 vs 4 door, you’re in a unique position to evaluate things and to report back because you’ve own(ed) both. I’m guessing you’ll be happy.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Or you could up with tires and lift until the break over angle is the same as a 2dr - Problem solved!

Sponsored

Nubby

First Name
Ma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
In my opinion if you’re inquiring about the 4 x 4 capability, I lived in Utah for 15 years went to Moab multiple times a year. The two door and the four-door have their own unique strong points for different trails. I would never be able to compare one as better than the other. It just depends on what your needs are. I had an FJ 40 for years until I had three kids. At that point a 100 series LC for the bill. I had a two door Jeep when I was first married and loved every minute of it!

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Or you could up with tires and lift until the break over angle is the same as a 2dr - Problem solved!
I’m thinking it’s more fair to compare both vehicles at the same height with the same size tires. Of course you could lift a four-door to have a break over angle of the two door but you could also lift the two door and so on and on , You could also shorten the four-door , you could also lengthen the two door , so we have to compare them stock to stock not modified to be fair.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I’m thinking it’s more fair to compare both vehicles at the same height with the same size tires. Of course you could lift a four-door to have a break over angle of the two door but you could also lift the two door and so on and on , You could also shorten the four-door , you could also lengthen the two door , so we have to compare them stock to stock not modified to be fair.
Stock to stock the 2 door breakover will kill the 4 door. If you want the same capability you need bigger tires/lift to offset the disadvantages so advantage 2 door.

As stated previously the 4 door with its longer wheel base will be better at climbing and descending.

Turning radius and maneuverability is a 2 door Plus

More fun is a 2 door thing. But not by much

Looks, I think its another win for the 2 door. At least with top off and especially with doors off

If your into hard core most think the sweet spot of a good wheeling rig wheelbase is about 110 and the new wrangler 4d is 116 so it's a bit long, but the 2 door at 96 is very short.

I've had both. I like the 2 door since it is more REAL jeep but having a 4 door now I would never go back to a 2 door. It's just too dang versatile, for what I and most everyone does with a jeep now, hard core, moderate wheeling, mall crawling.

OP
OP
mrmarco21

mrmarco21

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
QA Aircraft Inspector
Vehicle Showcase
So I have a stock JK with 35" and I have a stock JL with 35" with no lift. Both are awesome in there own way. The 4 door is much long almost 24" long. Does that make it harder to wheel with in tighter spots because it's longer? I had no problem wheeling with my JK at all. But I'm not sure about the JL being longer. It wont have any wheeling issues, but because it's longer will it be harder to get out of tighter spots then wheeling with my JK 2 door?

OP
OP
mrmarco21

mrmarco21

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
QA Aircraft Inspector
Vehicle Showcase
Stock to stock the 2 door breakover will kill the 4 door. If you want the same capability you need bigger tires/lift to offset the disadvantages so advantage 2 door.

As stated previously the 4 door with its longer wheel base will be better at climbing and descending.

Turning radius and maneuverability is a 2 door Plus

More fun is a 2 door thing. But not by much

Looks, I think its another win for the 2 door. At least with top off and especially with doors off

If your into hard core most think the sweet spot of a good wheeling rig wheelbase is about 110 and the new wrangler 4d is 116 so it's a bit long, but the 2 door at 96 is very short.

I've had both. I like the 2 door since it is more REAL jeep but having a 4 door now I would never go back to a 2 door. It's just too dang versatile, for what I and most everyone does with a jeep now, hard core, moderate wheeling, mall crawling.
Now that's what I was thinking. Thank you

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
If they had made a long wheelbase 2dr like they used to, it would have have gotten my money. I like cargo space. As it is, my rear seat stays folded so I just use the rear doors as cargo access points.
I also think the longer wheelbase flows better now . The 2dr seems a little long in the nose. But neither of those reasons have anything to do with capabilities.

chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase
type "lite brite" in youtube. This couple is either amazing or half crazy with the wheeling they do in their brand new JLUR

OP
OP
mrmarco21

mrmarco21

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
QA Aircraft Inspector
Vehicle Showcase
type "lite brite" in youtube. This couple is either amazing or half crazy with the wheeling they do in their brand new JLUR
I will Thanks

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
If they had made a long wheelbase 2dr like they used to, it would have have gotten my money. I like cargo space. As it is, my rear seat stays folded so I just use the rear doors as cargo access points.
I also think the longer wheelbase flows better now . The 2dr seems a little long in the nose. But neither of those reasons have anything to do with capabilities.
I agree. If the rubicon LJ had a 3.6 motor and decent tranny, I'd be in it vs the JL. I like the 4 doors but it's not a deal killer so long as I have room in the back.