Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My 2 door is my DD and I wouldn’t own a 4 door if it cost 6% *less* than the 2 door. Do I need to stop driving it to work mon-fri because you’ve determined it’s a weekend toy?
No need to get defensive.

I am talking about "the average buyer." Whatever you want to do with your 2 door has little impact on how the overall market behaves.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The average buyer looking to spend $45,000 is going to look at that and, at some level of consciousness
There are a few threads on site about "should i buy a 2 or 4 door?" But tbh i think it's a small group, most are pretty firm in their wants & needs not wavering between the two. The price difference & possible value had nothing to do with my purchase but ymmv :)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There are a few threads on site about "should i buy a 2 or 4 door?" But tbh i think it's a small group, most are pretty firm in their wants & needs not wavering between the two. The price difference & possible value had nothing to do with my purchase but ymmv :)
"Value" is always present on every purchase.

Even if you prefer the 2-door over the 4-door for your own personal reasons, you factor those reasons into the value you receive from your purchase.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
"Value" is always present on every purchase.

Even if you happen to value the 2-door over the 4-door for your own personal reasons, you factor those reasons into your purchase.
The only value i weighed was to order or look for a 2dr on the lot. Never considered a 4dr or compared pricing because i didn't want one.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The only value i weighed was to order or look for a 2dr on the lot. Never considered a 4dr or compared pricing because i didn't want one.
That is my point. Owning a 2-door Wrangler clearly carries more value to you.

My guess is most of that value was emotional --e.g.,you prefer the look of the 2-door, or you don't view 4-door Wrangler as a "real" Jeep, or whatever it is that makes you more willing to pay for a 2-door.

For the majority of buyers, though, rational reasons take precedence over emotional ones.

From a rational perspective, the 4-door is more practical, and more comfortable, and they need a vehicle that can fulfill multiple roles in the household; that is why the 4-door is easier to sell.

From the research we do, we know that roughly 2/3 of the weight influencing a vehicle purchase are rational reasons (e.g., durability, safety, etc.); 1/3 are emotional reasons (e.g., styling, brand image, performance and capability, etc.). As purchases becomes less about need and more about want, that balance moves closer to 50/50 between rational and emotional.

My guess is the 4-door is a less emotional purchase than the 2-door, so it becomes easier to justify in large numbers.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I think using the 4 door platform/ chassis and having a Scrambler type would make sense. Scrambler came with Roadster hard tops, full hard tops ; they had bulkheads separating the rear section, or you could leave that space open. This combines many preferences on one platform, true versatility. If the 2 door was delegated to Special Order only, the longer wheelbase would be very popular due to its flexible configuration.

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
Wouldn’t own a JL if I had to buy a 4 door as it would defeat the reasons I bought a JL. The smaller size, ease of parking, higher departure angles and tighter turning radius are all prime reasons for my choice. I will admit I actually crawled into the rear door of a JLU and sat in the seat. Useless for any other than small children.
The back seat of my JL was removed the day after I drove home from the dealership.
Not faulting anyone’s choice for a 4 door. Just isn’t needed for us.

It’s your money, spend it as you want. After all you worked for it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn’t own a JL if I had to buy a 4 door as it would defeat the reasons I bought a JL. The smaller size, ease of parking, higher departure angles and tighter turning radius are all prime reasons for my choice. I will admit I actually crawled into the rear door of a JLU and sat in the seat. Useless for any other than small children.
The back seat of my JL was removed the day after I drove home from the dealership.
Not faulting anyone’s choice for a 4 door. Just isn’t needed for us.

It’s your money, spend it as you want. After all you worked for it.
I think a 2-door Scrambler built on the JLU would look kickass, and would give buyers something they can’t get on Gladiator: a 6-ft bed.

Unfortunately, the 2-door pickup has an uphill battle at this point. Even Tacoma, the sales king of midsize pickups, is seeing the share of the 2-door ext. cab dwindle.

Having said that, given that JL is body-on-frame, and chassis development is already paid for, instead of dreaming up new fenders and grilles for JL and JT, I’d have a little more imagination and maximize the number of body types available. Including a 2-door LJ and a 2-door Scrambler, both sharing JLU’s chassis.

That’s what AMC would be doing.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My guess is most of that value was emotional --e.g.,you prefer the look of the 2-door, or you don't view 4-door Wrangler as a "real" Jeep, or whatever it is that makes you more willing to pay for a 2-door.
Nope, no emotion involved in my decision, didn't want or need a 4dr, and wouldn't consider owning one for our current time in life.

If I needed more room, and was possibly at a point where a 4dr would make sense for me then it's possible emotion could enter my thought process for the transaction.

Now color choices, that was emotional, luckily it was something my wife & I agreed on :)

Sponsored

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently not everyone sees the "value" of a 4door wagon. But it is apparent that JEEP sees the value of the soccer moms/dads, as sales show longer is better for that city life style. Here in the mountains I see more 2 door Wranglers and more 4 doors in cities.

I guess it depends where you live and jeep. Most 4 doors won't see trails as much as 2 door will.
PLUS these new JL 2 Doors are great daily driver & freeway rockets. So those "value" arguments are dead.

My main reason for trading my 4dr JKwagon for a 2dr JLR is purely because I hated the hassle of removing the extra heavy hardtop and having to remove 4 doors instead of 2 (looks weird with 2 off & 2 on with no top). SO I wanted to simplify the topless/naked Jeep experience and the 4 door was getting to be a hassle. I also no longer saw the "value" of driving an extra long and heavy vehicle, as an empty nester. So even the back seat is gone (no value to keep it in)... people may say that's not a good enough reason but when all your kids move out and you gotta take the top & doors on and off, it become a heavy chore and NOT practical 🤔

SO Now a got a perfectly nimble and responsive 2-seater sportscar that can go over/up anything as well as go anywhere fast/slow and quickly get naked 😉 That's VALUABLE! 👍

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, no emotion involved in my decision, didn't want or need a 4dr, and wouldn't consider owning one for our current time in life.

If I needed more room, and was possibly at a point where a 4dr would make sense for me then it's possible emotion could enter my thought process for the transaction.

Now color choices, that was emotional, luckily it was something my wife & I agreed on :)
You keep saying you didn't want the 4-door.

But why did you buy a 2-door Wrangler...? You just had nothing better to do?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently not everyone see the "value" of a 4door wagon.
True, not everyone does. But a good 200,000 buyers do every year.

You can call 4-door Wranglers wagons for soccer moms. But if it weren’t for them, you wouldn’t be driving a 2-door Wrangler with a wide array of engines, transmissions and comfort features.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
A 4 door, for my needs, is like putting 4 sinks in my kitchen. It'd actually be a negative for me as they'd just be in the way.

Again, I'm NOT ripping on the 4 door
🙄 This guy nailed it... case closed 💯
If they are in the way and unnecessary, how can they be valuable and practical 🤔

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You keep saying you didn't want the 4-door.

But why did you buy a 2-door Wrangler...? You just had nothing better to do?
Had 2 previous Jeeps (74 CJ5 & CJ7), just the wife & dog, and time to do it again. No need to look into this any further, I truly understand what you're saying though :)
Sponsored