2 door vs. 4 door sales

AgentWolf

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2 door is a must for tight trails and is more capable out of the box then the 4 door. The break over angle makes such a difference in off-roading. I’d hate to see it get longer, though I’m a fan of the size of Suzuki Jimnys. Two doors are certainly outnumbered as most people don’t offroad and would rather have the extra storage space or carry passengers around(I sold my rear seats asap, gear is more important to me). The two door I got was sitting on the lot at I got a great deal on it for end of year clearance. My two cents is that more and more drastic features (like the diesel) will go into the 4 door over time and slim out the two door landscape even more. It’s what makes the money after all and mall crawlers pay for high end features. I’m praying the two door bronco thrives to Jeep will continue to innovate on the two door.
Sponsored

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
2 door is a must for tight trails and is more capable out of the box then the 4 door. The break over angle makes such a difference in off-roading. I’d hate to see it get longer, though I’m a fan of the size of Suzuki Jimnys. Two doors are certainly outnumbered as most people don’t offroad and would rather have the extra storage space or carry passengers around(I sold my rear seats asap, gear is more important to me). The two door I got was sitting on the lot at I got a great deal on it for end of year clearance. My two cents is that more and more drastic features (like the diesel) will go into the 4 door over time and slim out the two door landscape even more. It’s what makes the money after all and mall crawlers pay for high end features. I’m praying the two door bronco thrives to Jeep will continue to innovate on the two door.
I must admit that I love watching Jimny videos.... from what I heard they might be doing a Wrangler “lightweight”.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Back in the day (1970's & 1980's) when I first got into 4-wheeling, they probably sold as many Jeep CJ's as they sell 2-door Jeep Wranglers now.
Sadly no. Until TJ, the last generation of the 2-door only, Wrangler sold about 50,000 units/year.

Under JK, sales varied over the years, but overall remained relatively steady at 50,000 2-door/150,000 4-door.

With JL, sales of 2-door have caved in, unfortunately. At launch, 2-door Wrangler sales represented about 15% of total JL sales, or about 34,000 units. And in subsequent years, 2-door has continued to decline in proportion of JL sales. To the point that they are now nearly impossible to find.

IMO, this is all the result of FCA’s fixation with margins, as they can make more money on the 4-door.

Killing Sahara has hurt 2-door sales, and has formed a huge gap in the middle of the 2-door lineup.

FCA displayed a similar behavior between Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger, by which they limited availability of engines and options, and curtailed marketing budget, treating 300 like the step child. When 300 sales collapsed, it turned around and blamed lack of consumer demand.

Hopefully, Stellantis appreciates the iconic role the 2-door has played in Wrangler’s long life, and injects some life back into it.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Sadly no. Until TJ, the last generation of the 2-door only, Wrangler sold about 50,000 units/year.

Under JK, sales varied over the years, but overall remained relatively steady at 50,000 2-door/150,000 4-door.

With JL, sales of 2-door have caved, unfortunately. At launch, 2-door Wrangler sales represented about 15% of total JL sales, or about 34,000 units. And in subsequent years, 2-door has continued to decline in proportion of JL sales. To the point that they are now nearly impossible to find.

IMO, this is all the result of FCA’s fixation with margins, as they can make more money on the 4-door.

For instance, FCA showed a somewhat similar m.o. between Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger, by which they limited availability of engines and options, and curtailed marketing budget, treating 300 like the step child. When 300 sales collapsed, it turned around and blamed lack of consumer demand.

Hopefully, Stellantis appreciates the iconic role the 2-door has played in Wrangler’s long life, and injects some life back into it.
Not to disrespect any 4 door owners which I love but what is in this commercial?

Reseg

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I just looked at the dealership by my house, where I purchased (Nyle Maxwell). They have on the lot:
8, 2 door Wranglers, ave price $56,982
47, 4 door Wranglers, ave price $54,477

So, for whatever reason, the 2 doors on their lot happen to be more loaded/higher trim, by an amount around $6k, considering the difference in base price. I'm not concluding anything from this, just found it interesting. It would make sense if margins aren't as good on a 2 door that they'd push more loaded ones. It'd also make sense that people buying 2 doors have a lower budget and therefor the lower MSRP ones sold off the lot already, I dunno...

Of course more 4 doors are sold, as most have families and/or need the space of the 4 door. It's not practical (or affordable, to many) to buy a ~$50k vehicle just for trails and then need another vehicle to daily drive and haul the family. Most can only justify/afford to put that into something that does everything they need.

Then there's me, single dad with older kids who drive themselves. I'm anti-social and people can eff off who need a ride, other than my dogs lol. My backseat was immediately yanked out and put in storage when I brought it home.

I love the shorter wheelbase and would be turned off to making it longer. The very tight turning radius and center clearance angle is awesome, as well as the ease of parking and extra head space in my garage. I love that I can get naked easier (only 2 doors and a smaller/lighter top), and a bonus of better performance (acceleration and MPG for the same motor). Yeah I'd love the option of a 392, but not worth having a huge 4-door, to me. I'll wait for the supercharger kit to come out for the 3.6 eTorque. I'm by no means against the 4 door though, just my preference!

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Not to disrespect any 4 door owners which I love but what is in this commercial?
That’s FCA’s hypocrisy right there. They love to milk 2-door by showing it everywhere as Easter eggs and on commercials, but at the same time making them nearly impossible to find and buy.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
That’s FCA’s hypocrisy right there. They love to milk 2-door by showing it everywhere as Easter eggs and on commercials, but at the same time making them nearly impossible to find and buy.
Are they making them hard to find or are dealers? I was glad when Jeep made the 4 door. Kept the dream alive.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I just looked at the dealership by my house, where I purchased (Nyle Maxwell). They have on the lot:
8, 2 door Wranglers, ave price $56,982
47, 4 door Wranglers, ave price $54,477

So, for whatever reason, the 2 doors on their lot happen to be more loaded/higher trim, by an amount around $6k, considering the difference in base price. I'm not concluding anything from this, just found it interesting. It would make sense if margins aren't as good on a 2 door that they'd push more loaded ones. It'd also make sense that people buying 2 doors have a lower budget and therefor the lower MSRP ones sold off the lot already, I dunno...
Part of that discrepancy is due to (1) scarcity, and (2) the fact that 2-door cannot be ordered in the middle trim level any more.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Are they making them hard to find or are dealers?
I remember reading on here that buyers were told by their dealer that the only way to get their hands on a 2-door was through a factory order.

Production restrictions result in fewer dealers ordering them.

Shit rolls downhill.

Sponsored

RubiGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
@LarryB

Hi Larry,

I am from Calgary too. I have a 4 door Rubicon.

Not much to add, but Calgary’s demographic has a lot of young families, and since we are so close to the mountains and have access to so many outdoor activities and camping ... combined that with tons of young families ... Not surprised the 4 door outsells the 2 door by a huge margin.

The Wrangler JL’s upgraded comfort and creatures comforts have turning it into an option for families looking for an SUV but with the adventure factor.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
But for me, the 4-door will never be a real "Jeep".
Oh please, not this again.

I’d rip you a new one and make you feel like “not-a-real-person”, but I just woke up and don’t feel like being an asshole so early in the morning.

So, g’day!:LOL:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Agree w/ most all of your posts, but must say I think the 2 door still has plenty of life injected into it as-is!

Sure there are things that would improve sales but probably wouldn't make sense to the bean counters at corporate. I would love to see a Gladiator 2 dr, a V8 2dr, and a few other carry-overs from the 4dr lineup (especially the larger 21 gallon gas tank). But if you're willing to special order your 2dr there's still plenty you can get w/ your 2dr, unfortunately the aftermarket support for the 2dr is lacking quite a bit though :(

And FWIW, that 2dr Bronco is going to blow up, it's the only Bronco that looks proper (and potentially badass). Unlike the Jeep 4dr which still looks pretty damn good vs. my admittedly biased 2dr opinion, the 4dr Bronco looks like ass vs. their 2dr.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I had heard the sales ratio here of 4 doors vs 2 doors was 9 to 1, but I see an awful lot of 2 doors on the road.
You’re probably in the wrong part of the neighborhood, where I live there are zero 2 doors.

also if you go into large city centers, there are 90% 4 doors, and these people accounts for 90% of all wrangler sales.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Agree w/ most all of your posts, but must say I think the 2 door still has plenty of life injected into it as-is!

Sure there are things that would improve sales but probably wouldn't make sense to the bean counters at corporate. I would love to see a Gladiator 2 dr, a V8 2dr, and a few other carry-overs from the 4dr lineup (especially the larger 21 gallon gas tank). But if you're willing to special order your 2dr there's still plenty you can get w/ your 2dr, unfortunately the aftermarket support for the 2dr is lacking quite a bit though :(

And FWIW, that 2dr Bronco is going to blow up, it's the only Bronco that looks proper (and potentially badass). Unlike the Jeep 4dr which still looks pretty damn good vs. my admittedly biased 2dr opinion, the 4dr Bronco looks like ass vs. their 2dr.
I can’t even begin on the Bronco day 1 complaints.... How do I get my tire out of the fender?
Sponsored