2 door vs. 4 door sales

InTooJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '07 Trailblazer
Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but didn't anyone remember when the JL first came out and Fred from Dirt Ever Day turned a brand new JLU into a two door with 40s? I'd take one of those instead of a 4 door any day.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door vs. 4 door sales 1616592629593
Sponsored

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@MattT69
Oh, don't mind me. I don't want to get involved. I'm just a 4-door peasant who can't possibly be doing fun things with my family "wagon." Please, look away. I don't want my doors to offend you.
HEHE... I get it, My wife loves the 4 door, so I'm not mad...
I understand the appeal of the 4 door SUV (more stuff, better taxi, sleeping option, more comfy) I get it. That's why they sell 10 to 1.

Since this post is about sales, it would be an interesting survey to see how many women buy 2 doors vs 4 doors??? I bet 99% of women buy the 4 door wagon aka the "Unlimited". And there are more women in general... HOW can I be mad about that!!! So have FUN, you are in the majority. Leave us 2 door outcasts alone :) CHEERS!!!

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
HEHE... I get it, My wife loves the 4 door, so I'm not mad...
I understand the appeal of the 4 door SUV (more stuff, better taxi, sleeping option, more comfy) I get it. That's why they sell 10 to 1.

Since this post is about sales, it would be an interesting survey to see how many women buy 2 doors vs 4 doors??? I bet 99% of women buy the 4 door wagon aka the "Unlimited". And there are more women in general... HOW can I be mad about that!!! So have FUN, you are in the majority. Leave us 2 door outcasts alone :) CHEERS!!!
The few ladies that I know own 2 door Wranglers. Although, they are either young and have no children or have grown children.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The few ladies that I know own 2 door Wranglers. Although, they are either young and have no children or have grown children.
I work at a University and every single girl student that I see in a Wrangler is a 4 door...

Sponsored

OP
OP
LarryB

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but didn't anyone remember when the JL first came out and Fred from Dirt Ever Day turned a brand new JLU into a two door with 40s? I'd take one of those instead of a 4 door any day.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door vs. 4 door sales 1616592629593
i see a TJ Unlimited when I take my kids to practice. I think if you offered that size to many 4 door owners, many would go for it. But, Jeep has no motivation to do so.

Ravens100

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S4, Maz CX-5, 80th Anniv JL 2-Dr (ordered)
Just completed a search for a 2 door, looking at JL's both used and new. I didn't keep numbers but looked at dozens of dealer inventories and I guess 8 or 9 out of 10 wranglers (new and used) on lots are 4-doors. In some cases dealers might have 10-12 vehicle all 4 doors. I was also looking for a soft top, which further reduced my selection to the point I ended up ordering new (oh well, I'll suffer w- a new Wrangler;)). I sold my last Wrangler in 2014 but since returning to the "club" my impression is 2 doors are much rarer than before, AND that Hard Tops are MUCH more common than 10 years ago. I attribute both to efforts to make wranglers more "civil", attracting a new group of buyers who want a family SUV as noted above. I appreciate many of the updates so not a complaint at all just an observation.

Last edited:

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Had a 2013 2-door (Sahara, manual), and loved it. Had both tops, hard tops for Ohio winters and soft top for everything else. I didn't like the 4-door so much, but the more I saw them, they grew on me. I eventually traded in for a 2017 4-door (Rubicon Hard Rock, auto because I was tired of having to pull my foot back in to shift). It made sense for me because it was my dd, and I have to haul people sometimes. I also haul things now and then and the 4-door has more space for that. When I see 2-doors now, they seem out of proportion to me with a hardtop on. I do agree they look good naked. I'd actually love to have one of each, but my wife would kill me.

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
The 2 door sells about as well as it did when the 4 door didn't exist, especially when you factor in the cannibalization from 4 door sales.

The 4 door just open up the market to a lot more people that could not use the 2 door as a one car family vehicle, or just because of the very many 2 door limitations.

I for one always had a Wrangler YJ, TJ, 2Dr JK, however, I would have had to give up owning a Wrangler when the kids came along.

I'll always prefer the 2 dr, however my family situation prevents me from owning a 2dr, I should not even own a 4 door because I drive about 200km a month, I mostly drive just for the sake of driving, because the Wrangler is fun to drive, even for 2 km round trips, I ride my bicycle a lot more than I drive my Wrangler, but I really like the Wrangler, so I'll always try to have one.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Not exactly the same. TJ sold about 50,000 units/year. JK sold roughly 50,000 2-doors and 150,000 4-doors.

With JL, 2-door is now selling barely 25,000 units/year; the rest is 4-door.

FCA appears to be purposely making it harder to get a 2-door by excluding Sahara, and by keeping 2-door inventories tight.

2-door Wranglers were readily available when I shopped for JL in 2019; there are hardly any out there now.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
If they only made 2-doors i would have a 2-door and my family would just have to deal with it. But since they make a 4-door i drive a 4-door. A 2-door soft top with half doors looks perfect. But the 4-door is much more functional.

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
I love my JLUR. It has so much more rear cargo space. Great for going up to my cabin and will be taking it to my aunt’s cabin in Tahoe this summer.

Have owned (2) 2 doors. A lot of fun, but lacks extra storage for my needs.
The 2 door Wrangler do offer a different driving experience.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Lets see how the 2 door bronco does. It is much more practical having higher payload capacity and towing. It has a decent amount of cargo and a slightly longer wheelbase. You can get it with 35s from the factory.

Maybe the next wrangler 2 door will be a bit more practical.
I think they'd sell a crapload more 2 doors if they made the wheel base similar to the LJ and improved the body lines slightly. Long live the two door.
Sponsored