Sponsored

2-door vs. 4-door -- All the Things Discussion

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
It would be great on the two door to have optionality to remove one of the rear seats only. When they are both out there is a LOT of room back there. Bench seats in the rear would add a unique option IMO.
Sponsored

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
Who remembers the 2-door Unlimited?

OP
OP
_thewick

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Well y’all I really appreciate the discussion and sharing of ideas. I pulled the trigger.

B6619D23-4B27-4090-BF6F-8BA366D85123.jpeg

37BF1338-4B2F-4A1D-A366-7785C897646D.jpeg

B270034D-B280-4824-83E8-A41506F35D45.jpeg

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
There are days like today where I wish I had more room to fit my 6 year old’s bike in the back, but I still wouldn’t sacrifice my love for the 2-door. It’s a passion / purity thing I guess. :)
you saved money on the 2D. just buy a damn bike rack lol.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I had a 2018 JL which I lost to an accident. When I looked for a replacement, I almost got a JLU. I looked at it, and didn't really look much like a jeep to me. I think they need 35s and a 3in lift to start looking like jeeps, but they are so much more practical. I test drove the JLU, did not feel like a jeep. Went back home to sleep on it. Next day I went straight and bought a 2 door again. The difference is huge, it looks like a jeep, drives like a jeep, and when you take the top off you get that retro jeep look you just cant get with the 4 door.

Yeah space is an issue, but it isnt that bad. It has been fun figuring out ways to deal with the space issues, all solvable.

The JLU feels and looks like a hybrid between a jeep and an average SUV, or more like a van. But hey they do perform like a jeep anyway.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
It always boggles my mind how this community is so hot and ready to divide itself over something so dumb. This forum is by far the most mild when it comes to the 2-door/4-door thing; most people around here are chill and embrace whatever, but the community at large has been doing this "not a real jeep" crud since the 4-door debuted. I saw it in-person when local jeep groups literally wouldn't allow 4-doors to join, and sometimes would go out of their way to ridicule people who bought one. It's even worse online at some other forums.

I just don't get why a community that professes freedom and the go anywhere, you-do-you attitude is so eager to set purity tests over a foot and a half of vehicle on the same exact platform.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It always boggles my mind how this community is so hot and ready to divide itself over something so dumb. This forum is by far the most mild when it comes to the 2-door/4-door thing; most people around here are chill and embrace whatever, but the community at large has been doing this "not a real jeep" crud since the 4-door debuted. I saw it in-person when local jeep groups literally wouldn't allow 4-doors to join, and sometimes would go out of their way to ridicule people who bought one. It's even worse online at some other forums.

I just don't get why a community that professes freedom and the go anywhere, you-do-you attitude is so eager to set purity tests over a foot and a half of vehicle on the same exact platform.
I think you’re picking up a hotness over this ‘divide’ that doesn’t exist. And if you think this is somehow acrimonious I ought to chaperone you to observe the rest of the internet.

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Totally disagree. The 2 door is a perfect day to day commuter and better off road. Why do you think they are heavily discounting the Gladiators? People don't want vehicles that are so long.
"and better off road" is totally subjective and situational.

OP
OP
_thewick

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Congrats! Walk us thru the final thought process.
2018 White JLU sport AT

To be honest it was a little sad saying goodbye to the Subi but I've always had emotional attachments to vehicles, and it felt pretty good driving home in the Jeep :)

I ultimately decided to go with the 4-door for space / convenience reasons. I'm planning a 4x4 camping trip with my father and brother this summer and although the back seats are still not the most comfortable the additional room will help a lot. And I'd like to be able to take friends in the future too. Also, it's the one that made my wife happiest, so anything that get's her more on my side about the purchase is better. Funny enough one of the biggest complaints she had about the 2-door is the passenger seat didn't recline very far (it really doesn't btw), but in the 4-door the passenger seat reclines basically flat. This seems very strange to me given there's about the same amount of room behind the fronts seats in both, but anyway she was very pleased with that when I brought it home and she found out. I had looked into aftermarket seat for reclining but now I don't have to.

Also, after driving both of them, I was pleasantly surprised how nimble the JLU felt and how easy parking it was, its footprint is not actually that much larger that the Crosstrek. This helped assuage some of the size concerns I had. And it felt very "Jeepy" while I was driving it.

PLUS, this thing is loaded and I got a good deal on it...
Okay, maybe you guys can help me with this because it actually seems a little strange to me. Now granted I was looking at new 2-door options when I was looking at building one, BUT this thing is a sport, not sport s, so it has the crappy steel wheels with plastic covers (which will be promptly changed, thinking about this combo but with different tires maybe) but it also has: power everything, upgraded screen and speakers, winter package (all heated stuff), remote start, trailer tow package with aux buttons, hard top with tinted windows.

I didn't think you could get all those options on the basic sport - obviously you can.
Sponsored