Sponsored

2-door vs. 4-door -- All the Things Discussion

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
on topic... I test drove the 4 door 2.0, 6 cyl thinking a 4 door would be a nice change from the 2 drs I had been accustomed to. The 4 door had a lot of a appeal from a storage perspective but that’s where the benefit ended for me. In driving both, the maneuverability of the 2 dr and the more sporty feel was simply too much to sway me. It should be noted that my kids are grown. Had I have had a very young family.. 4 door for sure.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
I needed a 4 for the space and convenience. I came from a dual cab Tacoma and I'll probably never give up 4 doors so long as they continue to meet my needs.

I also think they look better, but that's highly and wildly subjective lol.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
I would have liked the 4 door to have no center post. no door frames, full sized rear suicide doors with a total cab surround roll bar. The Cruiser got the door orientation right but fell short on full sized rear doors and of course, no convertible.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
but that's highly and wildly subjective lol.
I think it depends what Jeeps roamed the Earth when you started w/ them. For me (being 58) the 4drs always looked too long, not that they don't look badass, just not the true Jeeps of "my history".

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it depends what Jeeps roamed the Earth when you started w/ them. For me (being 58) the 4drs always looked too long, not that they don't look badass, just not the true Jeeps of "my history".
I'm old enough to remember how...repulsive...the JKU was to a lot of folks. And I get it, there's something to be said about sticking with what's worked. But proportionally and dimensionally, for me, I think the 4 door looks best.

My opinion is inverse for the new Bronco, FWIW--I think the 4 door looks way, way worse than the 2 door.

Sponsored

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
6th Wrangler...1 of them was a four door JK(because I thought I needed the extra space) grew bored of it real fast...traded it out for another 2 door. Some people just like the feel of the 2 door, myself included!
Completely agree with you. I test drove a 4 door not too long ago to see if I liked it. When I order a JL I will be keeping it a 2dr.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
My opinion is inverse for the new Bronco, FWIW--I think the 4 door looks way, way worse than the 2 door.
Now that we can agree!~ :)

Kizzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler
Totally disagree. The 2 door is a perfect day to day commuter and better off road. Why do you think they are heavily discounting the Gladiators? People don't want vehicles that are so long.
Gladiators are being discounted due to them being highly overpriced and its also odd looking as well. Not a good combination.

I actually don’t disagree with you. I think the 2 door is a perfect commuter vehicle, but the sales split tells a different story. Americans will always prefer larger vehicles.

The 2 door is a classic and will always be a better off-road vehicle due to its wheelbase. I’m glad FCA still sells them. Although I have a 4 door, I also think the 2 door looks much better as well. Same with the Bronco.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
There are days like today where I wish I had more room to fit my 6 year old’s bike in the back, but I still wouldn’t sacrifice my love for the 2-door. It’s a passion / purity thing I guess. :)

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
But proportionally and dimensionally, for me, I think the 4 door looks best.
I'm the same. I feel like the JL 2-door looks stubby. I don't know if it's any shorter than the JK or previous gens actually, but it just doesn't look right to me. I know I'm in the minority on this board, but I think the 4-door looks better this gen.

And I also agree that if I ever go bronco, it's gotta be a 2-door. They nailed the proportions on that one.

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
I like the 4 door as well as the 2 door. We got the 2 door because it was a better fit for us, rarely have passengers, don't carry big stuff very often. Our off-roading will be mostly beach driving while fishing and mild trails searching for something interesting to photograph. Plenty of room inside for our fishing gear/photography stuff, chairs, cooler etc. Fishing poles go on the roof. We are really liking our 2 door Sport.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm the same. I feel like the JL 2-door looks stubby. I don't know if it's any shorter than the JK or previous gens actually, but it just doesn't look right to me. I know I'm in the minority on this board, but I think the 4-door looks better this gen.

And I also agree that if I ever go bronco, it's gotta be a 2-door. They nailed the proportions on that one.
Yup, exactly.
Sponsored