Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I have a love-hate relationship with my 2 door Jeep.

I hate it because for what I use it the most, which is camping and off road camping is inconvenient. For driving around town, and shopping and all that, even with the seats on is fine. For two people with the backseat out it is also fine. You have to get creative with the space and use all possibilities, trust me with a 2 Door Jeep you are going to make use of all that you have at hand to make it "practical".

If I am going camping on dirt roads I use an over-sized hitch rack, fixes the space issue. If I am going off-road camping I need to take the backseat out, so it wouldn't work with a kid. I do have a kid coming and I am planning to keep my 2D, so I just installed exposed racks on the hardtop and will be installing roof rack platform, so I can load as much as 300lbs up there. That, with the 13 cubit feet of trunk space should be enough to go camping for 3 with a tent. I will also buy a hiker camper for easy off road camping, and that fixes all space issues as well.

Why I love my 2 door? it feels sportier, I like how it drives better than the 4 door, the turning radius is insane, and it looks like a Jeep, specially when you take the top off.

Getting out of the back? I have no issues. Neither does my 68 year old mother in law. But some people might be a bit out of shape and it can be difficult.

If you like the 2 door. just buy the 2 door, but know that you will spend some money to fix the space issues. And even then you have to organize your cargo pretty well. That's the main thing to keep in mind, you might spend almost as much as you saved from the 4 door and you will still have a less practical vehicle. Be aware of that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I have two - both are powered by a 911 flat six. The black car is a 1971 fitted with a 3.2 Six from a mid 80’s 911 SC, and the blue car is a 1970 fitted with a built twin plug 2.7, and now being restored. They are wonderful to drive. For a long time the 914 was unloved but the past five years they have been in high demand by Porsche drivers, with staggering prices.

5BE41BAA-5CDF-43EE-B893-49E10DF9128C.jpeg

F228806E-CB24-4016-886E-7C92F4114DAA.jpeg

4D9EF2DB-30EC-4A93-802C-4332F9722CE7.jpeg

092864BC-38D5-4B24-9231-98EFCD5BD4C6.jpeg

3EC4383F-856B-477F-9822-9CD9D5D3AC04.jpeg

6926B9DC-FEC4-47C1-8F79-6BED7CAAA2D2.jpeg
I am partial to 4 door Jeeps, but If I got a two door vehicle, this is what I would get........

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Only real time I wish I had the 4dr is in heavy crosswinds, the 2dr can be a SOB in that scenario, although no JL will be a joy there :)
True, but a bit less puckering than an R1200GS 2-up in crosswinds. Especially with gusts.
I have two - both are powered by a 911 flat six. The black car is a 1971 fitted with a 3.2 Six from a mid 80’s 911 SC, and the blue car is a 1970 fitted with a built twin plug 2.7, and now being restored. They are wonderful to drive. For a long time the 914 was unloved but the past five years they have been in high demand by Porsche drivers, with staggering prices.

5BE41BAA-5CDF-43EE-B893-49E10DF9128C.jpeg

F228806E-CB24-4016-886E-7C92F4114DAA.jpeg

4D9EF2DB-30EC-4A93-802C-4332F9722CE7.jpeg

092864BC-38D5-4B24-9231-98EFCD5BD4C6.jpeg

3EC4383F-856B-477F-9822-9CD9D5D3AC04.jpeg

6926B9DC-FEC4-47C1-8F79-6BED7CAAA2D2.jpeg
I'd say longer than 5 years for the interest and increased valuation of teeners. I sold my '79 SC back in early 2008 and have been out of the scene since (I club raced that car for a number of years) but even then clean 914s were hard to come by and pricey - particularly original 914/6 cars. The Boxster was supposed to "replace" the 914, and while Boxster Spec Class got very popular, just like the long-nose 911s, the 914s remained iconic and sought after. If you go further back 914s were less loved, though never quite the redheaded step child that the 924/944 were (*cough* Audi ;-).

I was in high school during the late 70s, and a couple of the coaches at school had 914s. I always loved the model - well, and 911 as well. Luckily I had a great (though expensive) run with my SC. Never did get a teener, but you can't have everything. Nice rides you have there.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Only a few niggles with the 2 door:

- not as much aftermarket internal gear as the 4 door. Things like shelfs, locking trunks, storage bags.
- shorter range given the smaller tank. So far hasn’t been a concern.
- space for two is ok for lugging camp gear but no real ability to do a roof top tent or interior mattress. Also, payload can be a real challenge if you are hauling lots of heavy gear - you’ll need a lift to keep from hitting bump stops if you are loaded up.
- can’t get a diesel
- hauling passengers is fine for short hops around town but cramped for anything longer
- tow capacity is really low, like 1500 lbs, so hauling a travel trailer or even a teardrop is not really an option
But otherwise I prefer the 2 dr, and living in SF, the two door gets you into parking spaces no four door could. I would not get a 4 door - too big for my taste
I've never had issues with 2 people in the back, there's plenty of space for 2. tow capacity is rated at 2000 lbs, you can easily pull a teardrop. It was initially reported it could tow 3500lbs but they dropped it to 2000lbs. They did this possibly to cover themselves to lawsuits due to the short wheel base. I would not tow anything over 2k lbs on a 2 door jeep, although some people do it. But it should be safe and not feel bad to tow up to 2k.

DrJoeSchmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR and a 2015 JK
As someone with all three vehicles you mentioned, I feel compelled to chime in here. I currently own a 2 door JK, a JLUR, and my wife has the Crosstrek.

1. If you're stuffing a Crosstreck, you are not very efficient with your camp setup IMO, and you'll have a hell of a time in a 2 door (even with the seats out).
2. If you plan on bringing a third passenger camping, a 2 door is a no-go.
3. The JLU is less fun, but it's still fun. And I like the extra room and convenience of it.

I will probably always have a 2 door Jeep because I think they are the most fun and the best looking. Now that I have a kid and a dog, I'll always need something larger, but that might not always be a 4 door Jeep.

From what you've mentioned, I think the 4 door is the right choice for you.

Sponsored

DrJoeSchmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR and a 2015 JK
in my opinion, it is doable, just not optimal. I wouldn't say "no-go". I've done it.
I agree. It's totally doable. I'm just basing my assumption off how full he's saying the Crosstreck is (I may be assuming too much).

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I agree. It's totally doable. I'm just basing my assumption off how full he's saying the Crosstreck is (I may be assuming too much).
It can be too much of a hassle I agree with you. and if the crosstreck is already being an issue I can't imagine the 2-D Jeep lol.

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
4 doors is my preference, just because of the extra room, I had a 2 seater car in my younger days, never again.

OP
OP
_thewick

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
2 door-v-4 door has been beaten to death. There is NO right or wrong, which one fits you is only up to you. The 2 door people love their Jeeps and the 4 door people love their Jeeps. I will say that Jeeps bold move to make the 4 door paid off huge financially for the company.
Seems on the nose here... reading through another thread about "fun factor", which I guess is the simplest way to boil down my concern for getting a 4-door over 2-door, I realize everyone loves their Jeep, no one really regrets getting one over the other. Both seem to provide equal amounts of enjoyment off road for their owners. Top off doors off blasting down a dirt road overlooking the ocean, I'm probably not going to be thinking about how many doors it has (or lack there of in that scenario).

But the parking...... :puke:

Sponsored

OP
OP
_thewick

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
My other vehicle is a 2-door
1595527473521.jpeg

1595527341504.jpeg

1595527552271.jpeg
THIS
dude actually for real this would be my ideal setup (Jeep + little sports car). Now I just need to convince my wife to trade her car for a hard-top Miata, I think it might be my sprit animal.

OP
OP
_thewick

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
For us, the 2dr soft top was the only “Jeep”. Had a 2010 then 2013 as my wife’s DD. My DD (Ford Escape and then BMW X1) was always our “trip” car. She went to a Mini Countryman for a few years but we missed the Jeep and bought a 2018 JK (then a 2018 JL) as our weekend “fun” vehicle. She later needed a more comfortable DD but the JL wasn’t practical as her DD, so traded the Mini and JL for a 2020 JLUS hardtop for her DD. Couldn’t be happier, but one day she said out of the blue that our next Jeep needed to be a Rubicon. I loved her JLUS, so we traded my BMW for her new 2020 JLUR hardtop. Now a 2 JLU hard top family. The set up works absolutely perfectly for the both of us.

TL;DR. Had 4 two door JK/JLs and now 2 JLUs, and love the 4 doors the best. Great practicality and fun factor for both of us.
Damn man, you go through a lot of cars. Gotta tell my wife "see at least I'm not that bad" :). Great perspective though, thanks!

OP
OP
_thewick

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I would probably choose a 2 door if it was a dedicated trail rig, unless that included steep inclines, where I think the 4 door would be more stable. A 4 door with a small lift and 35's will get you in and out of more places then not.

The 4 door for longer trips will be more comfortable with the longer wheelbase and additional weight. The larger fuel tank is a bonus in this as well. It is nice having the extra 2 doors in a practical sense. Going from a 2 door JK Willys to a 4 door JLUR, you quickly realize how often the rear doors are utilized.

Personally, I love them both and would be happy with either. If you can can throw the practical side of the 4 door out the window, the 2 door is there to be had.

Best of luck with your decision, it really is a win no matter what you choose.
Thanks for the validation, this is helpful. Sometimes it feels like there's no love for the 4-door or people say it's "not as fun" and I start questioning my decision. Still love the 2-door though...

OP
OP
_thewick

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
LOL, from your description, you need to buy two 2-door Jeeps. Solves every problem
you listed.
YES! I totally agree. Good luck passing that bill through the administration though....

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I love my Rubi 2-door! Looks awesome, handles fine on the highway and maneuverability off road is crazy. As for looking out of proportion with larger tires-I have a two inch lift with 35's and they do not look out of proportion at all, maybe I am getting used to it but if anything they look on the small side! As for roominess, right now it is just me, girlfriend and sometimes girlfriend's dog and we have plenty of space.
I am not even sure if I would have bought a JL if they only offered 4-door models...

Jeep Wrangler JL 2-door vs. 4-door -- All the Things Discussion Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 1.30.12 PM
Sponsored

Last edited: