Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Hey Everyone - first, I'm sorry because I'm sure this has been discussed multiple times in some form or another, but searching through the threads I couldn't seem to find a detailed discussion on "this vs. that", just questions like "anyone have 2-door regret?"

So I'm soliciting advice, hoping to get people who have owned both and to have a serious conversation about pros and cons (mostly just pros) of owning both. I'm new here; planning on pulling the trigger on a used (new for me) JL, probably in the next 5 days, and trying to decide between 2-door and 4-door.

My heart leans 2-door but my mind raises its finger in the air to make a point and says, "eh hem, 4-door practicality, sir".

Some points and questions I've been considering:
  • I love the look of the 2-door. Pretty subjective I know, but the more I stare at 4-doors the more I like them. Could I put 33's or 35's on it, even out the proportions, and learn to love it?
  • Space, the elephant in the room (or final frontier). Mostly just my wife and I, we do a lot of car camping and some hike-in camping. I currently have a Subaru Crosstrek which on paper says there is more cargo space the 2-door JL. For car camping I wouldn't say there's barely enough room for our stuff but the car is pretty packed, and we've gotten pretty efficient with our kit.
    • Anybody with experience downsizing to a 2-door?
    • Could I do a roof rack to make up for lost space? Like this one?
    • There are times when I'd like to be able to bring a third person along (father or brother), again with the roof rack is that enough (I'm guessing no)?
    • 2-door + trailer setup just for when you have more than 2 people?
  • Also, wife and I do a lot road tripping - Bay Area to Oregon, Southern California, Arizona, etc. Is the 4-door really more comfortable/stable on-road, or is that a myth?
  • Size. Couple of points/questions here too and somewhat concerned about "capability".
    • I live in a urban environment in the Bay Area and the parkability/maneuverability of the 2-door is appealing.
    • I've heard/read that the turning radius of the JL has been improved for 4-door. My Crosstrek is actually longer than a JL and about a foot shorter than a JLU. Obviously the rear-cam is a huge boon to parking. Anybody experience maneuverability issues on-road or off with JLU?
    • I know the angles/dimensions on paper but anyone experience real-world trail limitations on JLU? Obviously I'll be less limited than I am now in a Crosstrek, I'm a JLU could take me 98% of the places I want to go.
  • Comfort of 2-door vs. 4-door for passengers? Again, I may occasionally want to bring a third person along. I've sat in both, and although I'm a shorter guy, aside from having to crawl into the backseat, I thought the back seat of the 2-door was actually pretty comfortable (surprisingly).
  • OK final point (and perhaps most important), wife likes added "practicality" of 4-door and that is her preference and I'm trying to compromise (hence going used). Is the extra space of the JLU worth the extra cost?
If you're still with me here I really appreciate it. I'm excited to get the Jeep and get out there either way! Also, by the way, Jeep will be my daily. Selling the Subi, sad to see it go (has a really great layer of mud on it right now) but can only afford one.

CHEERS!
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Had JKUS for 8 years. More room although pain getting in back seat for adults (new one has little more room). More space behind seat. Big turning radius, big size in tight spots.

Now JLR 18 months. Took back seat out right away, plenty of room. Grandkids mostly grown with own cars so we don't transport them much. Getting in back seat of 2 door real pain for adults. Tight turning radius, small size, I think looks better. Little faster, better mpg because less weight. No space, practically, behind rear seat.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
The 2-door is just fine on the interstate. Have driven it to and from GA-TX twice.

traded an outback for my 2-door. It’s less space but I am happy finding workarounds instead of having the 4-door wagon (JLU). Also had a JKU before that.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Jeeps aren't practical vehicles for most people, get what makes you happy.

If it's just the two of you and it's what you like, go for a two door, you can always compensate for space with things like roof racks and hitch carriers. Is it a little more effort to get into the back seat of the two door? Sure, but I wouldn't get something you don't want just to make an occasional occurrence more convenient for someone that isn't paying for the Jeep.

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU North Edition
I've had three two drs over the years and LOVE them. Like others, I take out the back seats as soon as I get it and have plenty of room for hauling stuff. Also, if you live in an urban area, they're get to get in & out of small spaces. That being said, I now own a 2020 JLU. The main reason was not all options on the 4dr are available on the 2dr. The main one is the upgraded sound system with the larger display is for some reason only available on the 2dr rubi. Unfortunately I didn't want a rubi. Anyway, just my 2 cents... hopefully that helps.

Sponsored

OP
OP
_thewick

_thewick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Love my 2 door JLR on the highway. I often drive my buddy's JLU as well and notice almost no difference in stability. IMO, the 2 door feels more agile in every situation I've had them both in, including long road trips and pretty heavy trail use. Turning radius on the 2 door is ridiculously tight, and you definitely feel like you're dragging your rear end wide on the 4 door by comparison. It's by no means bad on the 4 door, but the 2 door can absolutely avoid many multipoint turns that the 4 has to maneuver.

Space-wise, if it's two of you there's plenty of room in the back for gear. If you're trying to go camping with three people and the 2 door JL as your only vehicle , it's gonna be tough, but for two I'd say it's just fine. The 4 door is for sure more practical and has a lot of space, but I fully agree with your proportionality thought. The 2 door just looks right and does so on smaller tires. Performance dollar-for-dollar is better too. 35s on a 2 door look and perform like 37s on a 4 door.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Not all the things but a few of my favorite things (cue Coltrane)

My wife is a visual artist, mostly sculpture. She always wanted a Jeep. And to her that is the 2-door with the top off (the Jeep, not hers - yes, I reuse jokes). 4-doors is not a Jeep to her. I will admit that I prefer the look of the 2-door to the 4-door. Others have a different opinion as evidenced by the large number of JLUs sold.

Room - when I saw how easy it was to remove the back seat, that was the final straw pushing me over the Jeep ledge. I removed the rear seat as soon as I got home from the dealer and I"m staring at it now, sitting in a corner of a spare bedroom. We've been slowly moving over the past few months and the 2-door hauls a lot of stuff with the back seat out.

Handling - I've done 150 mile runs (almost all freeway) and have no issues. It requires a bit more attention than my GTI does, but shorter wheelbase and higher profile will do that. As others have noted, the turning radius and ability to get in and out of tight spaces is full win.

Gestalt - this gets to the wife's point. The 2-door reads Jeep - meaning when you see it in profile, you know exactly what it is. Same with the front grill and lights. The 4-door is more ambiguous in profile - Mercedes, old Isuzu Trooper, mini Unimog - not as instantly iconic.

For a lot of folks I can see the 2-door being a no-go. If I was hauling kids or friends often in the back seat, I'd probably want 4-doors. But I'm not, and with the back seat out it hauls all my music gear and then some. And when I was cleaning out the garage I found a leftover sticker from about 15 years ago when I had a track car. Required patience, but I was able to install the decal so the Jeep is now officially nostatic.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2-door vs. 4-door -- All the Things Discussion nsjeep - 1

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
It's ok, gets a bit cluttered around here but fresh threads can bring some fresh takes on things.

If you don't need the extra room the 2dr would be my choice, loved all the 2dr Jeeps we've had and the current JL w/ that awesome 8AT really moves! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 4dr, but we've never needed that extra space since we have other vehicles if space were to become a problem (although it really never has :) )

There's going to be cases off road where the longer wheelbase works better, and many cases where driving the shorty works best. I think the shorter wheelbase provides a bit more fun for the driver as it just seems more a part of you if that makes sense.

Only real time I wish I had the 4dr is in heavy crosswinds, the 2dr can be a SOB in that scenario, although no JL will be a joy there :)

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I originally wanted a 2 door and I think it looks better. But I went with the 4 door based on cost not being much more and the additional space. It's just the two of us but I can haul a lot of crap in the 4 door which also prevents me from driving the spouse's SUV with a top and doors.

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
6th Wrangler...1 of them was a four door JK(because I thought I needed the extra space) grew bored of it real fast...traded it out for another 2 door. Some people just like the feel of the 2 door, myself included!

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Hey Everyone - first, I'm sorry because I'm sure this has been discussed multiple times in some form or another, but searching through the threads I couldn't seem to find a detailed discussion on "this vs. that", just questions like "anyone have 2-door regret?"

So I'm soliciting advice, hoping to get people who have owned both and to have a serious conversation about pros and cons (mostly just pros) of owning both. I'm new here; planning on pulling the trigger on a used (new for me) JL, probably in the next 5 days, and trying to decide between 2-door and 4-door.

My heart leans 2-door but my mind raises its finger in the air to make a point and says, "eh hem, 4-door practicality, sir".

Some points and questions I've been considering:
  • I love the look of the 2-door. Pretty subjective I know, but the more I stare at 4-doors the more I like them. Could I put 33's or 35's on it, even out the proportions, and learn to love it?
  • Space, the elephant in the room (or final frontier). Mostly just my wife and I, we do a lot of car camping and some hike-in camping. I currently have a Subaru Crosstrek which on paper says there is more cargo space the 2-door JL. For car camping I wouldn't say there's barely enough room for our stuff but the car is pretty packed, and we've gotten pretty efficient with our kit.
    • Anybody with experience downsizing to a 2-door?
    • Could I do a roof rack to make up for lost space? Like this one?
    • There are times when I'd like to be able to bring a third person along (father or brother), again with the roof rack is that enough (I'm guessing no)?
    • 2-door + trailer setup just for when you have more than 2 people?
  • Also, wife and I do a lot road tripping - Bay Area to Oregon, Southern California, Arizona, etc. Is the 4-door really more comfortable/stable on-road, or is that a myth?
  • Size. Couple of points/questions here too and somewhat concerned about "capability".
    • I live in a urban environment in the Bay Area and the parkability/maneuverability of the 2-door is appealing.
    • I've heard/read that the turning radius of the JL has been improved for 4-door. My Crosstrek is actually longer than a JL and about a foot shorter than a JLU. Obviously the rear-cam is a huge boon to parking. Anybody experience maneuverability issues on-road or off with JLU?
    • I know the angles/dimensions on paper but anyone experience real-world trail limitations on JLU? Obviously I'll be less limited than I am now in a Crosstrek, I'm a JLU could take me 98% of the places I want to go.
  • Comfort of 2-door vs. 4-door for passengers? Again, I may occasionally want to bring a third person along. I've sat in both, and although I'm a shorter guy, aside from having to crawl into the backseat, I thought the back seat of the 2-door was actually pretty comfortable (surprisingly).
  • OK final point (and perhaps most important), wife likes added "practicality" of 4-door and that is her preference and I'm trying to compromise (hence going used). Is the extra space of the JLU worth the extra cost?
If you're still with me here I really appreciate it. I'm excited to get the Jeep and get out there either way! Also, by the way, Jeep will be my daily. Selling the Subi, sad to see it go (has a really great layer of mud on it right now) but can only afford one.

CHEERS!
If you're doing what you want to do with a Subaru, a JLU wouldn't have problems doing those. Maybe you'll have people come and ask you about the Jeep :LOL:

I think a JLU is the way to go. In a way a Wrangler will introduce some compromises over a road-optimized vehicle so you want it to have an edge and the space you get in a JLU can be it.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I have had both in JL Rubicon form. They are both terrific. We don’t have any passengers so I removed the seat. Plenty of room and both feel plenty stable in all circumstances. I just like the 2 door better. Looks and all. You really can’t go wrong but if you’re longing for the two door already, I think you’ll continue to do so if you buy a 4 door.
Sponsored