Sponsored

2 door sunshade for 2018 JL

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I know this is an old thread but I had my 1st plastic clip fail this weekend and I can't find anything suitable or similar online to replace it. I ended up using a small ziptie in combination with the broken clip to get it back together but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the rest fail. Does anyone know what size of bungee balls to use for the front portion? I see they are dirt cheap on Amazon but want to order the right length to maintain the proper tension.
@Friday2322
As Tarheel said..... Just use the bungee without the plastic clip. Many have/are doing that... Works great.
Sponsored

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
@Friday2322
As Tarheel said..... Just use the bungee without the plastic clip. Many have/are doing that... Works great.
And what a stupid design flaw the vendor made there. They solved for a problem that didn't exist and added a problem (flimsy plastic clips that easily break).

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
@Friday2322 Here's how the Shadeidea front is installed (7 secs in). You can also just lower the windshield. I leave my front bungees in when I remove the shade. I like it open as possible when it's not too hot.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
@Friday2322 Here's how the Shadeidea front is installed (7 secs in). You can also just lower the windshield. I leave my front bungees in when I remove the shade. I like it open as possible when it's not too hot.

I like that idea but the front bungees aren't near long enough to loop back to the T. When I pull them through to attach the plastic clip only about 2-3 inches is sticking out while I'm tugging like hell, I'd need another 6 inches to get back to the T.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like that idea but the front bungees aren't near long enough to loop back to the T. When I pull them through to attach the plastic clip only about 2-3 inches is sticking out while I'm tugging like hell, I'd need another 6 inches to get back to the T.
@Friday2322

Guys have used the bungee without the clips.... Anyway, just order some 10" black bungees on Amazon. They are readily available and cheap cheap.. But the 10" as you can easily shorten them as desired..... Daaaaah.... obviously if you buy 8" and they are too short you are chitt out of luck..

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
I looked at that one I like it, but iirc it does not work with a soft top. I think I discovered that watching their video.
Apologies - I should have mentioned that I have the three piece hard top 👍🏼

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Friday2322

First off, I apologize for past posts here saying the front T bungee (4) could still be used if the plastic clip broke/bent thanks to the heat or whatever... I had been lead to believe that by other posts here a year or so ago...

Today, I took a close looksee and no way could you use the Alien supplied front T bungees that have the plastic clip fail if you do not have a replacement plastic clip.. The T bungees are a few inches to short to wrap around the support.. 8-(

For someone that just does not want to try to fix with bungees found on Amazon, I just looked through my JL related storage tote and I have twelve (12) brand new, never used plastic clips. They are the ones Alien sends out with the sunshade. I also have 4 brand new front bungees with the T that also come with the Alien Sunshade..

If anyone is interested in them, PM me and we can work out something....

Last edited:

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
If you don’t mind spending more for exceptionally high quality, US made top with no bungee cords…look at Jtops. The fit and finish are second to none with a magnet, military grade strap system.
Sponsored