2 door sunshade for 2018 JL

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
I was leaning toward the JTops bikini for my JLs. The thing that gets me is one is a hardtop and one is a soft top, and I really want to be able to easily remove the shades. Soft top no problem, but my better half has the hard top, and wants to be able to see the stars at night, and have some shade in the day with the freedom panels off.

So maybe the soft top gets the Jtop and the hardtop gets a spiderweb? Anybody have experience with either as far as ease of installation?
Sponsored

OP
OP
JLRubiGirl

JLRubiGirl

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr 2018 Rubicon JL
After many suggestions, I did it. I installed my sunshade for a more semi-permanent use. It took some cussing and fussing- but its in and YES I DO LOVE IT. :clap:

Thanks to everyone to helped me think thru this in this thread. Ya'll are the best.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door sunshade for 2018 JL sunshade

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@JLRubiGirl

Just leave the shade on year round..... 8-)

Your JL 2dr. looks good.... Now consider buying a Bestop Sunrider for JL. I promise you that you will say that is your favorite add on after you install and use. In NC, you can leave it on year round....

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLRubiGirl

JLRubiGirl

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr 2018 Rubicon JL
Oh yes, the flapping and buzzing has already started! LOL. This is very helpful and I will most def look into this!

Thank you!!!!

OP
OP
JLRubiGirl

JLRubiGirl

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr 2018 Rubicon JL
Hey @Rhinebeck01 -------- mildly off topic, but I have a question about fender flares and the stuff that gets between them and the body of the Jeep. Does one have to take the fenders off to get this out? Looking to do that rubber tubing mod between the fender and the quarter panels to prevent this, but was not sure if there is a simple hack to get these pine needles and little stuff out of these crevices.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh yes, the flapping and buzzing has already started! LOL. This is very helpful and I will most def look into this!

Thank you!!!!
That black felt mentioned in the link I gave you is quality stuff. Matches the JL's plastic so well, you can hardly see it when it is placed. Can be used elsewhere in the JL to prevent rubbing, etc.. Also, lots of uses around the house. Easily cut and applied.

Totally knocked out tthe front seat belt flapping, buzzing....

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @Rhinebeck01 -------- mildly off topic, but I have a question about fender flares and the stuff that gets between them and the body of the Jeep. Does one have to take the fenders off to get this out? Looking to do that rubber tubing mod between the fender and the quarter panels to prevent this, but was not sure if there is a simple hack to get these pine needles and little stuff out of these crevices.
Yes, stuff does get in there.... inserting rubber tubing does help to remedy the issue. Black tubing would not show up on your color JL. It's easy to place. Push down and lay it in the gap..

I do not have the tubing.. I just keep up with house cleaning there. You can press downward firmly on the fender flare and then use compressed air (I have a small compressor in the garage) to blow out the crapola. You can also use a little pic or plastic spudger to pic out pebbles and such.

Don't be afraid to push down on the fender flare to take pressure lets say off of what is in the gap, so you can get it out.

Oh my .... NC does have lots of pine...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JLRubiGirl

Curious, do you have your rear seat in your 2dr. or is it out. You will experience a whole new world, lets say, driving a 2dr with the seat out... On my 2 drs. rear seat comes out on day one. My JL's has been in a storage bag now for over 2 years and never been out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLRubiGirl

JLRubiGirl

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr 2018 Rubicon JL
@Rhinebeck01

I do still have my rear seat, but almost on a daily basis I look at it and contemplate taking it out. No one has ever sat back there, nor do I ever see that happening. Storage is a bit of an issue for me, and honestly that is the only reason I haven't taken it out.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
@Tar Heel Wrangler

The plastic clips have been the Achilles heel so to speak in regard to the Alien Sunshade for the JL.

Last Summer a handful of guys / gals, complained that the plastic clips "straightened" in the Summer heat and no longer would work.. Alien sent out replacements to those wanting them.

A lot of guys/gals opted to forget using the clips and just put the bungee all the way around the front support. All that did this said that way was aok and was a good way to go. Yes, the windshield has to be freed and leaned forward so you can get the bungee around the support. Get a helper to hold the windshield while it is freed/leaning, while you place the bungees.

The Alien, black bungees are nothing special... just plain ole bungees. You can get the same bungee in black and different colors... in the same size or bigger or whatever on eBAY. A bag of them runs say $10.00+- for 6+ bungees. The Alien Sunshade is well made and is really resistant to fading. It will last and last but undoubtedly, bungee replacement may be necessary after a few years..

Alien Sunshade may be back in business someday... time will tell.... 8-)
I know this is an old thread but I had my 1st plastic clip fail this weekend and I can't find anything suitable or similar online to replace it. I ended up using a small ziptie in combination with the broken clip to get it back together but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the rest fail. Does anyone know what size of bungee balls to use for the front portion? I see they are dirt cheap on Amazon but want to order the right length to maintain the proper tension.

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
I know this is an old thread but I had my 1st plastic clip fail this weekend and I can't find anything suitable or similar online to replace it. I ended up using a small ziptie in combination with the broken clip to get it back together but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the rest fail. Does anyone know what size of bungee balls to use for the front portion? I see they are dirt cheap on Amazon but want to order the right length to maintain the proper tension.
You should be able to use your current T-bungees. Shadeidea comes with the same bungees and a folded up piece of paper (folded several times) to help put the bungee through without the need for a plastic clip. The paper will rip at some point so find something better that is flexible.

I think there's a video. I'll try to find it.

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
Totally late to the party - but for future information, The XG Cargo Magne - Lok sunshade is an excellent fit and goes on once and stays on, hard top or not.

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
Totally late to the party - but for future information, The XG Cargo Magne - Lok sunshade is an excellent fit and goes on once and stays on, hard top or not.
I looked at that one I like it, but iirc it does not work with a soft top. I think I discovered that watching their video.
Sponsored