2-door Storage ideas.

borntostun

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Hi all. 2-door Rubicon here. I've been searching endlessly for some creative storage ideas, specifically for the wheel well areas in the rear seating area. I've seen the Fishbone Wheelwell bins, but I keep hoping to find something that would be more contained and 'closeable'. I like the idea of not losing visibility with the wheelwell vs. saddlebag idea.

Any other ideas? Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP

borntostun

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Nice work.

I really am looking for something that would still allow a rear passenger. Something as simple as an arm-rest type storage unit that sits in the wheel well on each side . . . kind of surprised this doesn't exist. lol.

The fishbone one is the right idea . . . just need a lid. An open tray isn't really ideal for me.

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.53.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 8.53.28 AM.png

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I like the Fishbone design but want a locking lid. If anyone as seen a wheel well storage bin like that for the JL please post.

Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Watching this thread also. I haven’t had much luck. Was really hoping someone would make trunk enclosure with the rear seats in place like they made for the JK.

I’ve got the Tuffy Tailgate lock box on the way for now until I can figure out something better.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I've been tempted to remove the Alpine sub and drop a smaller sub under one of the front seats. Not having that under-floor storage cubby has been the biggest disappointment so far in 10,000 miles - honestly they should have been able to find another location for it.

Been thinking of doing this for awhile now but just seems like a lot of money to spend for a new (worse/smaller) sub and rewiring when I'm needing tires soon.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
These are the two best/nicest rear seat storage options that I've found so for a 2 door JL.

Sherpa Saddle Bags for JL 2 Door at $240.00 USD for the pair

and

XG Cargo Recon Bags at $199.95 USD for the pair

I haven't actually come across anyone who has either of these installed yet, so I can't say how good or bad either is.

I'm leaning towards the Sherpa Saddle Bags as they don't block any of the passenger side rear window like the XG Cargo Bags do.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Watching this thread also. I haven’t had much luck. Was really hoping someone would make trunk enclosure with the rear seats in place like they made for the JK.

I’ve got the Tuffy Tailgate lock box on the way for now until I can figure out something better.
I've got a Tuffy Security Products Tailgate Enclosure from my old 2 door JK sitting in the basement. I may have to pull it out and see if it's possible to adapt it to fit the rear of the JL.

Pipewench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU & 1947 Willys CJ2A, now eagerly awaiting my 2020 JL
Occupation
Plumber
I've got a Tuffy Security Products Tailgate Enclosure from my old 2 door JK sitting in the basement. I may have to pull it out and see if it's possible to adapt it to fit the rear of the JL.
I'd be very curious to know if this works out.

Sponsored

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd be very curious to know if this works out.
I gave it a try yesterday and it was a no go :(

The top lid of the JK version of the Tuffy Security Products Tailgate Enclosure is about 1" too long from front to back to fit between the rollbar and the tailgate on the JL. It's also not the correct shape so there would be gaps on both sides if I somehow managed to wedge it in there.

The front panel of the enclosure is also about 1/2" too wide to fit between the wheel wells on the JL. The front panel might have fit if I took off the weatherstrip on both sides, but it still would have been a very tight fit and I didn't want to scratch the hell out of inside of the Jeep.

The search for storage solutions for the 2 door JL continues.

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get the saddle bags? I'm liking them bc they are low profile and close.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you get the saddle bags? I'm liking them bc they are low profile and close.
I sent an e-mail to Overland Outfitters about the availability and shipping of their 2 Door JL saddle bags but haven't heard back from them yet.

It looks like Quadratec sells the Sherpa saddle bags for $40.00 less than Overland Outfitters, but they show as being pre-order only with no availability date.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I’m almost to the point of just removing the rear seat and getting the Tuffy enclosure. But there are those very rare occasions where it’s nice to have two extra seats.

My previous vehicle was a 2015 convertible Mustang which had a pretty much un-usable rear seat anyway. So not a huge loss I guess.
Sponsored