Sponsored

2-door seat release handles - don't yank 'em too hard

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I solved the problem by getting front seat covers for a 4 door ; they don't have the cut- out access on the top outboard sides. Can't break it if you can't find it. Also, rear seat out, dogs are Agility Champions when it comes to loading, unloading...
Sponsored

metallicpea

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Just to report back from October. Both seat latches seem to be working fine so far. I guess there was an issue with the mechanism that releases the seat. They also replaced some parts that made the release require less force - must be a bulletin on this as they found it when it was in. It does seem to use less force than before which certainly helps put less stress on the handle.

Unfortunately, I had an issue with the sliding mechanism on the drivers seat. A month or two ago the drivers seat would not slide back and lock into vertical position after folding it forward to put something in the back seat. I have seen this issue mentioned elsewhere as well. Brought it in for them to replace the track and all is well. Certainly not very robust or well made seat mechanisms on these.

And finally, a 4 door Jeep is not for me, and yes I use the back seats for something other than a dog. Did it for nearly 10 years with my TJ and small kids and never had a single issue. These seats should do the job they are sold to do and have done properly in past models.

Atco1703

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler jl 2 door
Hi, I’m from Dubai have same issue but still my jl under dealer warranty. Do you think they will fix mine under warranty? What if they refused?

thanks
Ali

AndyB1097

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys 2-door
Just to report back from October. Both seat latches seem to be working fine so far. I guess there was an issue with the mechanism that releases the seat. They also replaced some parts that made the release require less force - must be a bulletin on this as they found it when it was in. It does seem to use less force than before which certainly helps put less stress on the handle.

Unfortunately, I had an issue with the sliding mechanism on the drivers seat. A month or two ago the drivers seat would not slide back and lock into vertical position after folding it forward to put something in the back seat. I have seen this issue mentioned elsewhere as well. Brought it in for them to replace the track and all is well. Certainly not very robust or well made seat mechanisms on these.

And finally, a 4 door Jeep is not for me, and yes I use the back seats for something other than a dog. Did it for nearly 10 years with my TJ and small kids and never had a single issue. These seats should do the job they are sold to do and have done properly in past models.
So while not on a trail, we were 250 miles from home, vacationing in the Eastern Sierra Nevada’s at about 9000 feet above sea level in a fairly remote area, when the driver’s seat had this exact problem, cheap plastic on the seat rail broke, making our 2 month old 2-door Wrangler Willys unable to be driven. FCA roadside assistance sent a tow who really went to bat for us, causing FCA to understand that going through the mountains was a much worse option than getting it to a dealer in Lancaster, CA. Whew. Hopefully they engineered a more robust fix than how it came from the factory.

517F980F-7DC2-4924-A6A1-7DD0FE2384A4.jpeg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
So while not on a trail, we were 250 miles from home, vacationing in the Eastern Sierra Nevada’s at about 9000 feet above sea level in a fairly remote area, when the driver’s seat had this exact problem, cheap plastic on the seat rail broke, making our 2 month old 2-door Wrangler Willys unable to be driven. FCA roadside assistance sent a tow who really went to bat for us, causing FCA to understand that going through the mountains was a much worse option than getting it to a dealer in Lancaster, CA. Whew. Hopefully they engineered a more robust fix than how it came from the factory.

517F980F-7DC2-4924-A6A1-7DD0FE2384A4.jpeg
@AndyB1097

Your JL's issue was the plastic piece that resides in the seat rail closest to the door. Not the same issue as talked about in this thread..

Unfortunately, dealer will repair your broken piece with the same fragile plastic part. Read here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/drivers-side-seat-won’t-fold-back.27061/

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6

Jeep Wrangler JL 2-door seat release handles - don't yank 'em too hard 517F980F-7DC2-4924-A6A1-7DD0FE2384A4
Man, I always wondered what would happen if anything went wrong needing warranty/dealer assistance up in the Sierras. I was up there a few weeks ago and noticed that the entire region has no FCA presence.

AndyB1097

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys 2-door
Man, I always wondered what would happen if anything went wrong needing warranty/dealer assistance up in the Sierras. I was up there a few weeks ago and noticed that the entire region has no FCA presence.
Yes, there’s nothing anywhere near here. The tow driver says he makes the drive from the Bishop area to the Chrysler Jeep dealer in Lancaster quite often, including for CHP-owned Dodge products from around Bishop/Mammoth Lakes.

FishtownPride

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door

Jeep Wrangler JL 2-door seat release handles - don't yank 'em too hard 517F980F-7DC2-4924-A6A1-7DD0FE2384A4
I had the same thing happen to me on Saturday. Seat folded forward, would not go back. The cheap plastic piece was broken, so I had Chrysler tow it to the nearest dealer. yesterday they got the broken cheap plastic part ordered. Today I get a call saying now that the seat mechanism on the side(the trumpet buttons??) were malfunctioning, and they had to order a whole new seat bracket. Looking at maybe Tuesday of next week to get her back. Thinking of trying to get out of this least with all these issues.....

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Almost 2 years ago, guys/gas started posting on the forum in regard to the driver's side seat leaned forward and stuck issue and other seat related issues..

After reading then, I took a 3" socket extension and placed it in my JL's onboard tool pouch.....
Figured someday, I would be faced with the, lean forward issue and at least with the 3" extension, I may be able to keep myself from being in a real pickle lets say...

No, haven't used the extension yet. I am very careful and go very easy when working with/moving the seats and working any and all of the seat releases.

Even being careful, going easy may not be enough....

I also am very careful with the sunvisors, put a drop of Gorilla glue on the center console release mechanism, part that is known to come loose and .........

Sponsored

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
"... at least with the 3" extension, I may be able to keep myself from being in a real pickle..."

When the time came, I couldn't get this to work, I tried but couldn't figure it out. Maybe mine broke in a different kind of way because they had to replace the entire seat frame but I don't know. I was stuck for a day 700 miles away from home because of this. A big/busy dealership named Schottenkirk in GA squoze me in to their schedule and seemed to take care of it as fast as they could for me.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
I searched the forum but could not find what I am looking for, so I am reviving an old thread here.

the release handle on my 2-door passenger seat broke i.e. the handle you use to fold the seat forward for passengers to get into the back seat.

One of the two plastic foot pieces of the handle snapped in half so the handle still works but because the one foot piece of the handle broke, the spring that returns the handle to its original position does not have leverage to return the handle to the flat position.

I want to fix this myself but I am not sure how to remove the bezel (If it can be removed) so that I can get the handle mechanism out, use a strong glue and fix the handle foot piece.

Anyone have some advice or perhaps a video of how to get the handle mechanism out? Do you unhook the cable, remove the bezel and remove the handle from the top?

I would highly appreciate some advice.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Just bumping this thread, hopefully someone can advise how to remove and replace the release handles?
I haven't messed with the handle itself but have you tried going in thru the seat back? The Molle panel is secured by two screws on the very bottom underneath the elastic flap (there's two elastic pieces that go from the bottom of the molle panel and clip in under the seat, pull these out and the flap will move forward), unscrew these and then the whole panel will slide down and unclip outwards giving you access to the internals of the seat where you should be able to see the handle mechanism and housing from the inside. You might have to pull pretty hard to get the clips to disengage once the panel slides down a little, but they're durable.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
I haven't messed with the handle itself but have you tried going in thru the seat back? The Molle panel is secured by two screws on the very bottom underneath the elastic flap (there's two elastic pieces that go from the bottom of the molle panel and clip in under the seat, pull these out and the flap will move forward), unscrew these and then the whole panel will slide down and unclip outwards giving you access to the internals of the seat where you should be able to see the handle mechanism and housing from the inside. You might have to pull pretty hard to get the clips to disengage once the panel slides down a little, but they're durable.
Tha

Thank you, I appreciate your response. I will give it a try.
Sponsored