Sponsored

2 Door Roof Rack Options

Deleted member 59098

Looks like a great setup!

That said... Suggest caution when attaching a rack to the freedom panels. The aerodynamic lifing forces on the freedom panels at highway speeds can be extreme. I doubt that the freedom panels were designed to support these loads since Jeep recommends putting the racks on the back portion of the roof.
I was a little worried about clamping to the freedom too rails. I try to keep the ski box pretty light. Chairs, tent and foam mats only. The whole setup dismantles off the Jeep in like 5 minutes, so I can go back to a normal roof pretty quickly.
Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Looks like a great setup!

That said... Suggest caution when attaching a rack to the freedom panels. The aerodynamic lifing forces on the freedom panels at highway speeds can be extreme. I doubt that the freedom panels were designed to support these loads since Jeep recommends putting the racks on the back portion of the roof.
I've been looking at roof racks for a long time (mostly getting demoralized because up until last weekend I only had a soft top, so my only choices were $1600+). But, even with the hardtop, quite a few leverage the gutters on the freedom tops, which as you said, is probably not a great idea.

My thought has been to get something long enough that I could get two pairs of legs on the back gutters and only one on the front.. in theory, putting much less stress on those freedom panels.

GoRhino! has a six-foot mounting kit for their SRM platforms, which "should" be ok using one pair on the freedom panels, even though they say "JLU only" on their materials, likely because they are a USA company and are covering their ass. I was looking at the SRM500 low profile platform, which would be about $730 for a 65" long rack w/ six feet.

I also found this (probably Chinese) listing on Amazon, which is very similar in size and function: https://www.amazon.com/ANTS-PART-Compatible-2018-2021-Wrangler/dp/B08P5G6P7X ... it's listed as 2DR-compatible (with photos) and includes six feet for $530. It's not quite as beefy looking as GoRhino!, but it's not just an EAG tube steel basket either.

I feel like using the longer side rails on the DeeZee 4-door rack and all four of the crossbars (three on the back and one on the front of the freedom panels) is a solid option too. but they're basically out of stock everywhere right now and/or the price is close to $700.

That's all I could really find for something that would have full roof coverage, no-drill, and somewhat affordable. I suppose the TrailFX exoskeleton qualifies as well, but that's a bit of a commitment with the hood cowl work required to install it.

Deleted member 59098

I've been looking at roof racks for a long time (mostly getting demoralized because up until last weekend I only had a soft top, so my only choices were $1600+). But, even with the hardtop, quite a few leverage the gutters on the freedom tops, which as you said, is probably not a great idea.

My thought has been to get something long enough that I could get two pairs of legs on the back gutters and only one on the front.. in theory, putting much less stress on those freedom panels.

GoRhino! has a six-foot mounting kit for their SRM platforms, which "should" be ok using one pair on the freedom panels, even though they say "JLU only" on their materials, likely because they are a USA company and are covering their ass. I was looking at the SRM500 low profile platform, which would be about $730 for a 65" long rack w/ six feet.

I also found this (probably Chinese) listing on Amazon, which is very similar in size and function: https://www.amazon.com/ANTS-PART-Compatible-2018-2021-Wrangler/dp/B08P5G6P7X ... it's listed as 2DR-compatible (with photos) and includes six feet for $530. It's not quite as beefy looking as GoRhino!, but it's not just an EAG tube steel basket either.

I feel like using the longer side rails on the DeeZee 4-door rack and all four of the crossbars (three on the back and one on the front of the freedom panels) is a solid option too. but they're basically out of stock everywhere right now and/or the price is close to $700.

That's all I could really find for something that would have full roof coverage, no-drill, and somewhat affordable. I suppose the TrailFX exoskeleton qualifies as well, but that's a bit of a commitment with the hood cowl work required to install it.
I’m thinking the rain gutter would be the first thing to break off if the rack was overloaded or hit something. I assume it’s just fiberglass, which is pretty brittle. I like your idea of a third rack on the back to distribute weight a little more evenly on the main roof. I can probably find some more old Thule rain gutter parts around town to make a 3rd.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
I’m thinking the rain gutter would be the first thing to break off if the rack was overloaded or hit something. I assume it’s just fiberglass, which is pretty brittle. I like your idea of a third rack on the back to distribute weight a little more evenly on the main roof. I can probably find some more old Thule rain gutter parts around town to make a 3rd.
Yeah, of the options I've been looking at, the DeeZee does have feet that would take the static load and transfer to the corners of the roof where it's more stout, but that's not going to do anything for dynamic/uplift stresses on the gutters. The GoRhino and "Ants Part" platforms look like they have T-channels on the crossbars on either the side or bottom (or both), so weight distribution feet could be cobbled together with those easy enough. I've seen a few platform racks that bolt behind the liftgate hinges in the back, but, again, that won't do much for uplift or sway in the front, though if those rear hinge brackets could be added to the side gutter feet, plus weight distribution feet, you're really getting to the point where it's spread around enough to nearly be a single unit.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I was a little worried about clamping to the freedom too rails. I try to keep the ski box pretty light. Chairs, tent and foam mats only. The whole setup dismantles off the Jeep in like 5 minutes, so I can go back to a normal roof pretty quickly.
Unfortunately, weight is not the problem. It's the aerodynamic lifting force that is the problem. A cargo box becomes an airfoil on these roof racks. If anything, putting heavy items in the front of the box helps to lower the upward force. (I'm a retired aeronautical engineer so this stuff is kinda cool to me.)

This is a great idea!

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
This is a great idea!
Hey, thanks for the reassurance from a retired aeronautical engineer. I generally overbuild rather than risk it, but.. there's just not much to hook onto at the front edge of the roof there. I have considered getting a set of those cowl/a-frame light bar brackets and tie into those to really eliminate uplift. I think if they made a more classic (retro?) style windshield light mount with tube steel, I'd be more likely to go that route. I'm not a huge fan of those angular plate steel accessories.

Deleted member 59098

Unfortunately, weight is not the problem. It's the aerodynamic lifting force that is the problem. A cargo box becomes an airfoil on these roof racks. If anything, putting heavy items in the front of the box helps to lower the upward force. (I'm a retired aeronautical engineer so this stuff is kinda cool to me.)

This is a great idea!
So the typical ski box shape causes it to uplift? The box has an aero shape and seems pretty streamlined according to the mileage and noise. Do you think there is a risk of damaging the freedom top or gutters? Maybe driving 90+ in strong winds?

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
So the typical ski box shape causes it to uplift? The box has an aero shape and seems pretty streamlined according to the mileage and noise. Do you think there is a risk of damaging the freedom top or gutters? Maybe driving 90+ in strong winds?
Unfortunately, yes, there is likely a good amount of lift at higher speeds. The aerodynamic shape is meant to reduce drag (for fuel ecomony) but doesn't do much to minimize lift. The gutters do seem pretty strong but only Mopar (or Webasto) engineers know how much load they can withstand. I'd be more concerned about the freedom top latches.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

Sponsored

laraza2k1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4X4 2019 2 Door
Just installed my Maximus-3 2 Door roof rack system a few days ago and could not be happier with the results. Not gonna lie, little anxiety drilling into your fiberglass roof but just follow directions and triple check all your measurements and everything lines up beautifully. With the 2 doors, options are limited but this is perhaps the best of the bunch. Way cool.

20210928_121549 (2).jpg

rhino_rack_back.jpg

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Just installed my Maximus-3 2 Door roof rack system a few days ago and could not be happier with the results. Not gonna lie, little anxiety drilling into your fiberglass roof but just follow directions and triple check all your measurements and everything lines up beautifully. With the 2 doors, options are limited but this is perhaps the best of the bunch. Way cool.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Roof Rack Options FB_IMG_1633122752138

Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Roof Rack Options FB_IMG_1633122752138
Alex, That is the nicest 2 door I have ever seen. Everything from tire size, suspension, lights, shackles, winch, rock rail steps, roof rack etc. It's the end of rig I would get for my wife and I.