2 Door Roof Rack Options

Boutch76

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL 2D Manual
Man how do you guys afford to buy anything haha.

I seen that smittybilt cage referenced in this chat. Is there a projected date on when that supposed to come out?
With covid It's hard right now to find any good deals.
I don't know when the smittybilt 2 doors rack is coming.
Sponsored

ShawnaTally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR Tuscadero, '21 JLR Hydro Blue
So I'm currently putting together a wish list while I eagerly and impatiently wait for my built-to-order Jeep to arrive.

Looking for a good rack/RTT mount setup and it appears the general consensus is that gutter mounted systems or hardtop only supported racks are not strong enough to support the full load.

With that said, are these currently the 3 best and possibly only options out there currently?

https://www.gobiracks.com/product/jeep-jl-2door-stealth-rack-40-led-setup/

https://www.quadratec.com/p/garvin/adventure-rack-wrangler-jl-2-door-20092

https://maximus-3.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-roof-rack/maximus-3-jl-2-door-roof-rack-system
These are the same 3 I've found. I like the cage-type like my JK had, but not really sold on these 3. The Maximus requires drilling, the Garvin doesn't come with crossbars, and the Gobi is stacked but SO spendy. The Dee Zee rack is seductively affordable, just wondering if my no-name kayak cradles would fit on it 🤔. Probably don't need the full cage rack, but I do like the way they look.

ModMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Willy’s
I just ordered the Maximus. Anyone have a production unit installed? If so what are your impressions?

ModMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Willy’s
Yep!
2000+$ for us Canadians.
Not with today’s exchange rate!

Anyways, the point I actually wanted to make was: Have you compared the price to a Rhino Rack back bone? Don’t forget the Maximus 3 comes with a Rhino Rack Pioneer roof rack.

I also thought the price was steep until I started looking around. All in it cost me around $1900 Cad landed. I did have to pick it up at the halfway house freight forwarder though.

Sponsored

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Update on the Frontrunner rack. They are now on their website in both the extreme (full length) and half rack versions. I ordered mine last night and got free shipping as well.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
TrailFX (Warn) has a product page for a 2dr rack (exoskeleton style), which looks to be designed for no top or hardtop. Based on the install guide, it might take some persuasion to work with a soft top due to the rear tub corner brackets :(

It's likely that it would work in soft top safari if there's enough clearance below the rack. I sent an email asking for measurements, but haven't heard back.

https://www.trailfx.com/trailfx/pro...-Rack-1822-Wrangler-2-Doors-JL014T--TLFJL014T

Sponsored

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
Update on the Frontrunner rack. They are now on their website in both the extreme (full length) and half rack versions. I ordered mine last night and got free shipping as well.
I will say that the full length rack is amazing. A lot of room. Honestly, it's the only way to go. I had it completely loaded up and was able to stand on it too (distributing weight safely) .

Having the predrilled holes for ditch lights is a plus as well.

Boutch76

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL 2D Manual
Man how do you guys afford to buy anything haha.

I seen that smittybilt cage referenced in this chat. Is there a projected date on when that supposed to come out?
I have no idea when the 2 doors rack from Smittybilt comes out.

Deleted member 59098

I’ve settled on some Thule square bars with gutter mounts and an old Yakima ski box. I just ran the Rubicon with this setup and it worked great. The box keeps everything dry and out of the dust, plus vagrants in the city can’t easily see what looks good to steal.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Roof Rack Options F86A0CE8-96DF-4931-B633-DACBDEC4C0F1

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I’ve settled on some Thule square bars with gutter mounts and an old Yakima ski box. I just ran the Rubicon with this setup and it worked great. The box keeps everything dry and out of the dust, plus vagrants in the city can’t easily see what looks good to steal.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Roof Rack Options F86A0CE8-96DF-4931-B633-DACBDEC4C0F1
Looks like a great setup!

That said... Suggest caution when attaching a rack to the freedom panels. The aerodynamic lifing forces on the freedom panels at highway speeds can be extreme. I doubt that the freedom panels were designed to support these loads since Jeep recommends putting the racks on the back portion of the roof.
Sponsored