2-Door PHEV

Srd2003

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc Canyon
Any idea if there are plans to include the Rubicon 2-door into the PHEV family?
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Doubtful, at least for now. They aren't even bringing out the Gladiator 4xe until 24.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I suspect that one of the reasons the 2-door doesn't get the 4xe, 392, diesel, or XR package is because of the wheelbase. Jeep's lawyers probably feel that a sub-300 horsepower Rubicon at it's current weight/height is enough. Adding horsepower, weight, and/or height wouldn't do good things to it's handling characteristics...

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T

Sponsored

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
I was just pointing out that they say they are going to produce it in 2023, and it had a manual transmission and was based off the Rubicon drivetrain. Performance a bit better than the V6, range on 70kw (prototype) should be about 200-250 miles. I'd expect them to be able to get that up to 80kw with better density on a production model, maybe more. I'm pretty sure they'll be pushing 250 miles plus to the public.

I'd buy it over a 4xE. Instant torque, manual trans, won't stall, should be an incredible crawler. No hybrid complexity and integration between two vastly different methods of propulsion.

Electrics are in my opinion a much better option vs. hybrids. But, they have challenges, charging and trips.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I was just pointing out that they say they are going to produce it in 2023, and it had a manual transmission and was based off the Rubicon drivetrain. Performance a bit better than the V6, range on 70kw (prototype) should be about 200-250 miles. I'd expect them to be able to get that up to 80kw with better density on a production model, maybe more. I'm pretty sure they'll be pushing 250 miles plus to the public.
Are you referring to this article from yesterday? That is a hell of a lot of speculation, and it includes exactly no new information.

It's unclear if the Wrangler EV will be offered in both two- and four-door body styles, but we anticipate...
Jeep hasn't said anything about pricing for the new Wrangler EV, but we can tell you...
Although we expect the Wrangler EV...
...it seems likely that a fully-electric version isn't far off

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

At EJS last year when the Magneto was introduced one of the Jeep Engineer / Product Planner Marketing Types said very clearly that the manual transmission-based electric drivetrain would *never* make it to production, that was a concept vehicle only drivetrain.

If the 4XE drivetrain makes it to the 2-Door the issue might be the physical size of the batteries taking up all the space in the back. Even in the 4-Door 4XE the back seat can't fold all the way down due to the size of the battery pack.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Theres an artcle that mentions some EVs with a 70kw battery can get about 250 miles. For reference, the Ford Mustang Mach E, standard battery is 70 kWh and has 224 miles of range, that's not even the one with AWD. And that Mach E is a lot more aerodynamic than a Wrangler. The Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6 each have about a 77kWh battery, and advertise a 303 mile range (for the RWD powertrain).

I would love a 2 door electric Wrangler, but it would be severely range limited using todays battery technology. If Jeep is coming out with an all electric vehicle, I doubt it will be based on the Wrangler.

Sponsored

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Are you referring to this article from yesterday? That is a hell of a lot of speculation, and it includes exactly no new information.

It's unclear if the Wrangler EV will be offered in both two- and four-door body styles, but we anticipate...
Jeep hasn't said anything about pricing for the new Wrangler EV, but we can tell you...
Although we expect the Wrangler EV...
...it seems likely that a fully-electric version isn't far off
The Magneto has actually been driven by several people, some of them on youtube, mostly well reviewed, and it looks like it could be built. FCA was telling people 2023, but I think 2024 is probably a better number, just from some of the industry scuttlebutt and knowing how long it takes to do all the final work to get a BEV to market.

I know from experience, and approx. 5000+ lb vehicle weight, that 70kw will get you over 200, but probably not 250 miles range. 80kw is possible in the space, I know that because that's where we're headed on the product line I work on, energy density and better range is coming soon. Our line is trying for over 80kw to give them average mileage over 250 miles (that they can advertise, they can merely suggest it's possible at 73kw right now).

I think the fact that they built it on the 2 door is notable, because that gives me an idea that they could well build it on BOTH wheelbases. That is speculation, not just me noticing it, but I'm not going to say anything other than it's my opinion on that.

Mind you, FCA could well be teasing the whole thing, but they have been saying it will be built.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I’d buy one as a second Jeep, 200 miles / 300km range isn’t bad and I’d rather have that than the antiseptic Tesla.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
I know from experience, and approx. 5000+ lb vehicle weight, that 70kw will get you over 200, but probably not 250 miles range
Not when it's shaped like a brick.

The 4xe is rated at 49 mpge, meaning that a 70kwh battery would get you just over 100 miles of range. A 2 door may do slightly better, but you're not doubling things. The aerodynamics are a cruel mistress.
Sponsored