Sponsored

2 Door JLR vs 4Door JLUR Offroad Capabilities

Instaurare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0 turbo
A friend of mine is considering a 4 door due to the usual family considerations. What do you reckon he would need to do to make his ride equally capable on most trails to a stock 2 door JLR? Would he need to go to 315 tires or a Mopar lift in order to bring it to the same level of offroad capability?
Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
A friend of mine is considering a 4 door due to the usual family considerations. What do you reckon he would need to do to make his ride equally capable on most trails to a stock 2 door JLR? Would he need to go to 315 tires or a Mopar lift in order to bring it to the same level of offroad capability?
My JLUR has 35x12.5 KM3’s and a 2.5” AEV DualSport lift (I believe it’s more like 3.5” since I’m not loaded up on gear). I feel very confident off-road. Way more so than my 4” lifted 2 door YJ with 33’s. Granted the JL is a much different beast in and of itself than the YJ. 😉

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I think you are pretty much spot on with your assessment. I've owned both 2 door and 4 door JK's, and now 2 door and 4 door JL's. My experience has been that a 4 door needs tires that are about 2" taller (and the suspension lift needed to clear those tires) to be reasonably equal to a similarly equipped 2 door off road. The 2 door will still be easier to maneuver in tight areas and the 4 door will be better on near vertical ledges. But in general, a 2 door with 33s equals a 4 door with 35s, or a 2 door with 35s equals a 4 door with 37s, and so on.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
315 is the width of the tire, the height is what makes the difference. Like everyone has said the 2 door will always be more maneuverable.

OP
OP

Instaurare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0 turbo
315 is the width of the tire, the height is what makes the difference. Like everyone has said the 2 door will always be more maneuverable.
True about width; most owners, when they upgrade to 35s, choose 315 tires, many of which end up being 34.4" diameter, not actual 35". So it seems to me that if you add 34" tires (285x75) to a JLR with no added lift, you would be pretty close to a lifted JLUR with 35s.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Along w/ the awesome turning radius you also get the non-awesome 17 gallon tank, sure the 2 door is a blast to drive but having to gas up 80 to 100 miles sooner is a bit of a pooper :(

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Along w/ the awesome turning radius you also get the non-awesome 17 gallon tank, sure the 2 door is a blast to drive but having to gas up 80 to 100 miles sooner is a bit of a pooper :(
Everything has a tradeoff unfortunately. But I agree, the range is a bit of a bummer.
The theoretical range on the diesel has been appealing to me for awhile, but the two door just seems more fun.

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 JCW, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I think you are pretty much spot on with your assessment. I've owned both 2 door and 4 door JK's, and now 2 door and 4 door JL's. My experience has been that a 4 door needs tires that are about 2" taller (and the suspension lift needed to clear those tires) to be reasonably equal to a similarly equipped 2 door off road. The 2 door will still be easier to maneuver in tight areas and the 4 door will be better on near vertical ledges. But in general, a 2 door with 33s equals a 4 door with 35s, or a 2 door with 35s equals a 4 door with 37s, and so on.
This is my experience too. I have a JLR and a JKUR. I was high centered all the time when the JKUR was on 35s. Never had issues with the JLR on 35s. Put the JKUR on 37s and getting up and over things was easier.

I think the 2 door is better for east coast wheeling since there are more trees and tighter spaces. The maneuverability really shines.

Both are capable, just depends on how you will use it and where you want it to take you.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The Unlimited to me has a crazy turn radius could not imagine the 2dr.
Scott, you need to image it, take one for a drive, you will smile!!

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
If you post this in a non-2door section the answers will be completely different on how the JLU is SO much more stable and climbs SO much better and really doesn't need anything extra and already wheels as good or actually better than the JL.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Regarding gas mileage, wheeled for 5 days last Spring break with my friends on San Rafael Swell. Their two JKUs and my JL.

Granted, they were carrying more weight with other humans and dogs and 37s versus just me and 33s. I went through a 5 gallon Jerry can and they each went through two. I still managed to have more gas in my smaller tank at the end when we refueled in Green River. Dune JKU was on fumes and my low fuel light had not come on yet.

Completely unscientific, but my smaller tank didn’t bother me after this experience.

https://jeeptourscolorado.com/jeep-blog/san-rafael-swell/