Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Manual Magnuson JLR, '16 Manual Cayman GT4
Very nice!

Any pics of what the cargo bay looks like in its finished form (with subs installed)? Any mods to sound bar?
Thanks! I'll grab some and post them soon. It basically looks like the shot with the sub box in the trunk, just without wires and masking tape. Currently, I have the Heigh10 faded all the way to the front. Don't want the rears messing with the stereo imaging!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Anu2g

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow great work. I really love the finished look of the A-pillar speakers. I have the soft top so that sub setup wouldn't work 🥺 sacrifices of a two door
Thank you. Yea, @toneloc2 really nailed those. I love getting in my car every morning and seeing them. Then...getting to listen to them! I basically just pulled my pillars off and shipped them to him, and the rest is history!

Why do you say the sub box wouldn't work in a 2-door soft top? My Jeep is a 2-door soft top...it fits perfectly, and I can even fit my backpack to the left of the box!

OP
OP
Anu2g

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One question - why not JL Audio VX series amps as it has the direct TOSlink input and built in DSP? Seems like a more compact way to get the same functionality?
I actually just installed a VX1000/5i in my older brother's JLUR. I still have to finish a couple things, but I'll post that build up in the near future too. It's a really convenient solution.

I went with the MiniDSP 8x12 with Dirac Live primarily because of Dirac Live. It does a better job than I could ever do at acoustic corrections, and the 2-door soft top Jeep could really use some acoustic correction!

Last edited:

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Thank you. Yea, @toneloc2 really nailed those. I love getting in my car every morning and seeing them. Then...getting to listen to them! I basically just pulled my pillars off and shipped them to him, and the rest is history!

Why do you say the sub box wouldn't work in a 2-door soft top? My Jeep is a 2-door soft top...it fits perfectly, and I can even fit my backpack to the left of the box!
How do you out the top down and lock the top? Doesn't look like there would be enough room

Sponsored

OP
OP
Anu2g

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do you out the top down and lock the top? Doesn't look like there would be enough room
Hey Jimmy, I've put my top down since installing the box, but it's possible I didn't lock the arms all the way down. Weather is looking pretty good tomorrow, so I'll test it out and post up a pic for ya.

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Jimmy, I've put my top down since installing the box, but it's possible I didn't lock the arms all the way down. Weather is looking pretty good tomorrow, so I'll test it out and post up a pic for ya.
Thanks! Looking forward to it!

OP
OP
Anu2g

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! Looking forward to it!
Hey Jimmy, I had the wife's car on Saturday, and it was pouring on Sunday so I didn't get around to it. But I didn't forget about you. Will let you know soon, with pics.

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Jimmy, I had the wife's car on Saturday, and it was pouring on Sunday so I didn't get around to it. But I didn't forget about you. Will let you know soon, with pics.
Thanks!!!

Jhint77

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon Sting Gray
Occupation
A&P Mechanic
Top notch fab work! Very impressive!

Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Hey folks,

I wanted to share an audio project I've been working on on my '21 2-door JLR. The build consisted of the following gear:

1. Head unit: Stinger Heigh10 + PAC SRK-JW18EH
  2. DSP: MiniDSP 8x12 with Dirac Live
  3. Amps: JL Audio XD800/8 + JL Audio XD1000/1
  4. Speakers: Hertz Mille Legend 3-ways (ML280.3, ML700.3, ML1650.3)
  5. Sub: JL Audio 10W7AE-3
  6. Wires: KnuKonceptz for power; Stinger 8000 for signal
Additionally, my build included a couple custom-fabricated parts that are beyond my own abilities:
  1. Custom-fabricated A-pillars by fellow forum member @toneloc2
  2. Custom-fabricated ported enclosure for the 10W7AE-3, designed to fit in the 2-door wrangler's trunk and be removable, without taking up the cargo tub
I've got a lot of pics to post, so I'm going to make one post per "stage" of the build. For now, I'll start with a pic of the gear:

PXL_20201209_191159649.jpg

Note: my build drew a ton of inspiration from @DavidRam 's build detailed here.
I can’t wait to read this build. Just seeing you are using the mini dsp I’m assuming due to Dirac live which is the go to for calibration on higher end home theatres these days.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
I actually just installed a VX1000/5i in my older brother's JLUR. I still have to finish a couple things, but I'll post that build up in the near future too. It's a really convenient solution.

I went with the MiniDSP 8x12 with Dirac Live primarily because of Dirac Live. It does a better job than I could ever do at acoustic corrections, and the 2-door soft top Jeep could really use some acoustic correction!
I figured you used it cause of Dirac. It’s simply the best out there right now.

Awesome build! Very clean. A lot of custom work and time going on in there.

OP
OP
Anu2g

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Jimmy, apologies on the delay here. So the left side locks down with some pressure, but the right side doesn't. I never really noticed because I usually drive in safari mode (all windows out), or pop the top all the way back, but without putting into the final position.

OP
OP
Anu2g

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Top notch fab work! Very impressive!
Thank you. The pillars were all @toneloc2 . He's become an expert in JL Wrangler audio fab. He built custom mid-bass door pods for his JL...and he's building some for mine now too :)

I figured you used it cause of Dirac. It’s simply the best out there right now.

Awesome build! Very clean. A lot of custom work and time going on in there.
Thank you! Dirac definitely makes things way easier. I also use Dirac in my HT setup. Though, honestly, it's more useful in my car, because HT is relatively straightforward.

jeeptrailrunner

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ JLR 6MT
Great setup! It’s always nice to get an entire project done from beginning to end. You problem solved many situations by taking the time to make your own parts.

And the woodworker in me likes the nice job you did with the sub boxđź‘Ť
Sponsored