Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Manual Magnuson JLR, '16 Manual Cayman GT4
Hey folks,

I wanted to share an audio project I've been working on on my '21 2-door JLR. The build consisted of the following gear:

1. Head unit: Stinger Heigh10 + PAC SRK-JW18EH
  2. DSP: MiniDSP 8x12 with Dirac Live
  3. Amps: JL Audio XD800/8 + JL Audio XD1000/1
  4. Speakers: Hertz Mille Legend 3-ways (ML280.3, ML700.3, ML1650.3)
  5. Sub: JL Audio 10W7AE-3
  6. Wires: KnuKonceptz for power; Stinger 8000 for signal
Additionally, my build included a couple custom-fabricated parts that are beyond my own abilities:
  1. Custom-fabricated A-pillars by fellow forum member @toneloc2
  2. Custom-fabricated ported enclosure for the 10W7AE-3, designed to fit in the 2-door wrangler's trunk and be removable, without taking up the cargo tub
I've got a lot of pics to post, so I'm going to make one post per "stage" of the build. For now, I'll start with a pic of the gear:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) PXL_20201209_191159649

Note: my build drew a ton of inspiration from @DavidRam 's build detailed here.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anu2g

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Next, I'll post about the amps. I ran a 1/0 gauge power wire from the battery, dropping down, along the frame, and then into the cargo tub. I mounted my amps and DSP in there. Built a small shelf for the top amp and DSP. All channels are running active, so I ran a Toslink Optical cable from the Heigh10 to the MiniDSP 8x12 DL, and then 8 RCAs out. 6 of those go into the XD800/8, to power the 6 speakers, and 2 go to the XD1000/1 to power the sub. The XD800/8 was bridged to 6 channels (4x75 to the tweets and mids, and 2x200 to the mid-basses).

Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 1
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 2

OP
OP
Anu2g

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Pillars from @toneloc2 . He's tried out several different A Pillar styles/angles in his own Jeep, so he's mastered the art of building these for Jeepers. Yes, I lost my grab handles, but the Mrs will adjust accordingly.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 01
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 2
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 3
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 4
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 5
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 6
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 7
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 8
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 9

Sponsored

OP
OP
Anu2g

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last, but certainly not least, the sub enclosure. 1.5 cubes net, ported @ 30Hz. Built out of birch ply. Carpeted to match the Jeep, with the inner legs painted in a texture coat. Fits perfectly. The window was CNC machined to have a 3D JL logo, backlit with white LEDs. The picture makes them look blue, but they're definitely actually white.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 1
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 3
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 4
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 5
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 6
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 7
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 8
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 9
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 10
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 11
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 12
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 13
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-Door JLR Audio Build (Custom Pillars/Box, Stinger, JL Audio, Hertz, MiniDSP) 14

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Very nice!

Any pics of what the cargo bay looks like in its finished form (with subs installed)? Any mods to sound bar?

Sponsored

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Very Impressive!

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Great work with this! Lovin’ the results!

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Wow great work. I really love the finished look of the A-pillar speakers. I have the soft top so that sub setup wouldn't work 🥺 sacrifices of a two door

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
One question - why not JL Audio VX series amps as it has the direct TOSlink input and built in DSP? Seems like a more compact way to get the same functionality?
Sponsored