Sponsored

2-door JL verses 2-door Bronco. Which has more configurable options for 2-door buyers?

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I think it's gonna happen, and it may be their chance to introduce the 4xe hybrid to the 2-door.
The extra size would help open doors to design challenges for other drive train options for the 2-door. Just a larger gas tank would be nice.
Sponsored

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a good write-up and in the photos, that Base Bronco looks really good. But good enough to wait 12-18 months for delivery? Not in my book, which is why I'm driving a Wrangler.
That's the issue. There is another 2-door off road vehicle with removable top now as a option now but it really is not a choice. Yet.... Lol. The demand for the Bronco 2-door might be like the JL. Not as popular as the 4-door so maybe the 2-door Bronco will be available sooner? I think more 2-door Wrangler owners might give it more thought when the Bronco is more available.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Regarding configurations for my needs/wants, having already a basically fully loaded JLUR I think I’d look at getting a 2dr Bronco as more of a basic fun toy, in which case all I’d really want in it is a manual transmission, bigger tires and upgraded sound system.
From playing with the build function it seems if i want 35s i need the sasquatch package and that would delete manual transmission and that to upgrade to premium sound i need to move to a higher trim.
The FORD marketing team is no different than the JEEP team. They force you to take more options with certain packages or options. I sold my '19 JLR and was just going to replace it with a 2022 JLR. The Willys was not available when I ordered my '19 JLR. Now the Willys is available. I built a Willys and they force you to buy the Dual Door Group if you want the Proximity Locks.

Last edited:

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
The storage space in the tailgate is almost as big as the JLU by comparison to ours. That alone would make me consider - but ultimately I just want Jeep to also make a longer 2 door. That’s the ultimate setup for me.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I like the extra 9" of cargo space, BUT, the looks of the vehicle do nothing for me. On the " function " side, the lack of a lever handbrake, and that weird rotary dial shift on the center console is an absolute deal breaker.
Enough people will like, and buy, and that should see the 2 door JL finally get some upgrades. I'm hoping removeable side windows in the hard top, split rear seat, individually removeable ; Bedlined interior , inside locking hood release, AC standard, no increase in base price.

Sponsored

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope to see the Bronco in person next week. Hopefully Ford does not screw up and shows the 2-door Bronco.

The Chicago Auto Show starts next week. Both the JL and Bronco are supposed to be there. Both are supposed to have test drives or rides on a off road course to compare the two.

Jeep should have or could have set up a course to show how much more articulation the Rubicon has over the IFS of the Bronco.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2-door JL verses 2-door Bronco. Which has more configurable options for 2-door buyers? Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 10.28.17 AM

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
The FORD marketing team is no different than the JEEP team. They force you to take more options with certain packages or options. I sold my '19 JLR and was just going to replace it with a 2022 JLR. The Willys was not available when I bought ordered my '19 JLR. Now the Willys is available. I built a Willys and they force you to buy the Dual Door Group if you want the Proximity Locks.
Yea, some of the packaging they require are really f’ed up. To have to get dual doors if you want proximity locks on a Willys is just messed up.

as for the Bronco, looks like you cannot even get upgraded radio with a manual. The first trim level where i can select the 10 speaker B&O system is in the Outer Banks by selecting the lux package but the OB doesn’t even come in manual at all.

so if all i want is a fun buggy with manual transmission and upgraded system it doesn’t appear I can get a Bronco.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, some of the packaging they require are really f’ed up. To have to get dual doors if you want proximity locks on a Willys is just messed up.

as for the Bronco, looks like you cannot even get upgraded radio with a manual. The first trim level where i can select the 10 speaker B&O system is in the Outer Banks by selecting the lux package but the OB doesn’t even come in manual at all.

so if all i want is a fun buggy with manual transmission and upgraded system it doesn’t appear I can get a Bronco.
In the old days going aftermarket for better stereo sound was easy. Not so much today with can bus and stupid dealers. Dealers are so damn picky today and always looking for a excuse to deny warranty. Cutting or splicing into the factory wiring harness would be too easy for the dealer or FCA to blame the owner for what ever issue needed warranty.

I wish it were not like that because I would love to get rid of the problematic Uconnect 4.

I also can't blame the dealer on occasion. I know someone who took his new Porsche for some upgrades at a top electronics installer. He was having a radar detector/jammer installed discreetly. He started having problems right after the work. He took it to the dealer. The dealer blamed the wired in aftermarket electronics. The shop insisted it was not due to their work. No one took blame on a $200K car. The dealer was able to diagnose the issue and locate exactly where the damage was. They documented everything. The shop accidentally nicked one of the wires in the harness. I think maybe it was a fiber-optic line or something? It was not repairable. The entire wiring harness had to be replaced. Porsche had to make one. It cost the electronics shop $11K plus additional damages to replace the entire wiring harness.

Last edited:

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
So LOTs of assumptions there... Wanting 6 cylinders instead of 4 had NOTHING to do with the power level because honestly the 3.6 has more than enough power for my wife. It is sound and feel, the V6 is much more refined than either the 2.3 ecoboost or the 2.0 Jeep turbo.

Can you simply fit 35" tires to the Bronco? They both come with 33's but on the Rubi the only change needed is buying the tires and having them mounted. I do not know if that is the case with the Bronco mostly because nobody has one to try it on.

Rubber seats, especially in the dark color offered are a huge issue for me. I had to order a cover for the center console of the Jeep because that black plastic gets way too hot. My boats have always had white vinyl for a reason, even that is hotter than cloth but cloth is impractical on a boat, the Jeep has a folding soft top should it rain.

I do not know what you ordered on your Rubicon, ours was $43k, my STX is $52k so however you ordered YOUR vehicles might have been the problem.
The badlands can fit 35 and even 37(but would not recommend).
For me I can’t stand the look of the soft top down. Looks weird like a vw cab. Top to me should be all on or all off.
4 or 6 they both have lousy sound. I would na v8 2dr stick. But no one makes them.

Rubi was $53k msrp dealer offered $2.5k off even though it was advertising $8k of JL’s. Walked across the street order my 250 Tremor. Paid $54k.

Where is this 2dr all electric 2021 JL?

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Regarding configurations for my needs/wants, having already a basically fully loaded JLUR I think I’d look at getting a 2dr Bronco as more of a basic fun toy, in which case all I’d really want in it is a manual transmission, bigger tires and upgraded sound system.
From playing with the build function it seems if i want 35s i need the sasquatch package and that would delete manual transmission and that to upgrade to premium sound i need to move to a higher trim.
They did say manual sasquatch was coming, so, it's not an intentional exclusion... Sounded like either a production delay or maybe just still getting the kinks worked out/certifications, etc.

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
For me I can’t stand the look of the soft top down. Looks weird like a vw cab. Top to me should be all on or all off.
I agree completely. The 'convertible' tops look like a VW Thing to me. Safari isn't terrible, but it sticks out beyond the roll bar and looks a bit like an awning...it needs a c-pillar or something to give it the box shape back. Some steel MOLLE panels on the sides that bolt to the tub to replace the windows would do the trick. At least the soft top is easy to remove.

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
I like the extra 9" of cargo space, BUT, the looks of the vehicle do nothing for me. On the " function " side, the lack of a lever handbrake, and that weird rotary dial shift on the center console is an absolute deal breaker.
Enough people will like, and buy, and that should see the 2 door JL finally get some upgrades. I'm hoping removeable side windows in the hard top, split rear seat, individually removeable ; Bedlined interior , inside locking hood release, AC standard, no increase in base price.
Although you’d still have to look at it there is no need to touch that rotary dial for the life of the vehicle if you don’t want to. All the lockers and such are on the dash and the transfer case controls are buttons inside the dial.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
That extra space comes at a cost, though. The Bronco is huge. I think the two door Bronco looks decent and has great proportions until I see a picture of it with an actual human in it- at which point it looks awkwardly large. Like it makes the human look comically small next to it.

This looks great:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2-door JL verses 2-door Bronco. Which has more configurable options for 2-door buyers? Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 10.28.17 AM

This is comical:

Strangely, this phenomenon reminds me of Rolls Royce. You see pictures of them and they just look like beautiful sedans. Then you see one in person... holy shit that car’s huge!
That’s just wrong….size is WAY too big

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The badlands can fit 35 and even 37(but would not recommend).
4 or 6 they both have lousy sound. I would na v8 2dr stick. But no one makes them.

Rubi was $53k msrp dealer offered $2.5k off even though it was advertising $8k of JL’s. Walked across the street order my 250 Tremor. Paid $54k.

Where is this 2dr all electric 2021 JL?
Jeep used a commercial for it as a teaser of what's to come. Not happening until 2025 or something?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Jeep used a commercial for it as a teaser of what's to come. Not happening until 2025 or something?

He missed the point. By the time Ford gets all their issues sorted out and you can get the 2 door Bronco you want, you will be able to get the electric wrangler.
Sponsored