Sponsored

2 door JL subwoofer - possible to relocate/remove to gain storage?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I've been bitten by the Jeep bug as a friend just picked up a JLU and we hit a few trails together here in socal. I'm currently going down the rabbit hole of swapping my Audi S5 for a 2 door JLR but am a bit hung up on a few things before I go all-in on the 2-door.

My main concern is (surprise surprise) storage space - has anyone relocated the sub so that you can gain back the under-floor storage cubby? I've done some searching and saw a couple JKs with a sub mounted under the front driver and/or passenger seats, but I'm not sure how the JL differs in this area or how difficult that install would be. Alternatively, has anyone run the system with the subwoofer deleted entirely? I'd imagine it'd sound like crap, I listen to music a lot in the car but I'm also not exactly looking to pump club music through the system. The Alpine speakers seem to be fairly large cones but maybe I'm being a bit unrealistic to assume they'll have enough low end punch on their own to get me by.

I'm looking at the 2 Door JLR for both cost and fun reasons - I've always driven 2-door performance coupes and I feel like the agility will be appreciated when making the shift from an S5 to a Jeep. Also considering a few of the trails we've been on already, I could see how I could avoid a few bumps and scrapes with a smaller rig - but also, these things are hella expensive and as I don't usually load up my cars with 4+ passengers I'd rather cut the corner here than drop the Rubi or packages like the LED lighting group, body color fenders/roof, etc. Seems I can also get by with 33s or 35s and a mild lift whereas the JLU in my eyes needs beefier tires and a bigger lift to look right - 33s look so tiny on the 4-door.
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
someone with chime in on this., keep in mind that the driver and passanger seat slides up and tilt forward to access the back seat.
i believe that the jl seats sits lower than the jk. it could be a change of the seat bracket from the jk and jl. also there might be a sub woofer cabinet that fits off to the side of the cargo area.

just my views, i have a jl sport with the basic stereo and xm radio. the speaker that came with it is good enough for me. not crappy and i'm happy with the sound quality.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
My main concern is (surprise surprise) storage space - has anyone relocated the sub so that you can gain back the under-floor storage cubby? I've done some searching and saw a couple JKs with a sub mounted under the front driver and/or passenger seats, but I'm not sure how the JL differs in this area or how difficult that install would be. Alternatively, has anyone run the system with the subwoofer deleted entirely? I'd imagine it'd sound like crap, I listen to music a lot in the car but I'm also not exactly looking to pump club music through the system. The Alpine speakers seem to be fairly large cones but maybe I'm being a bit unrealistic to assume they'll have enough low end punch on their own to get me by.
I'm not sure about relocating the subwoofer, but wanted to make sure you know that the only way you get the subwoofer is with the Alpine system. The base system does not include the subwoofer, and the storage space would be available.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Don't get the sub-woofer. The stock sound system is outstanding, the upgrade doesn't do that much to it. Also are you worried about the jeep "looking right" or performing off-road? nothing wrong with the first one, but it helps to set priorities. Keep in mind if you are buying and want to make your jeep "look right" you can cut a lot of the costs on the sport instead of rubi and spend that on mods and make it look like a beast :jk:

Also, I am with you on the 2-D that's what a real jeep is. 4-D is more convenient, but you'll love your 2-D. feels and looks sportier, and taking the back seat takes 1 min and you'll have plenty of space.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I too like OP's reasoning for a 2 door - they really are less expensive and if you don't need the 4 door, why pay more.

No help on the stereo, though. My Rubi has the 7" and no sub and it's fine with me.

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Don't get the sub-woofer. The stock sound system is outstanding, the upgrade doesn't do that much to it. Also are you worried about the jeep "looking right" or performing off-road? nothing wrong with the first one, but it helps to set priorities. Keep in mind if you are buying and want to make your jeep "look right" you can cut a lot of the costs on the sport instead of rubi and spend that on mods and make it look like a beast :jk:

Also, I am with you on the 2-D that's what a real jeep is. 4-D is more convenient, but you'll love your 2-D. feels and looks sportier, and taking the back seat takes 1 min and you'll have plenty of space.
Interesting - I did plan on getting the Alpine system but will definitely try and listen to the stock setup before I pull the trigger. Maybe I can then add a small sub under one of the seats. As for looking right vs performance, it's a bit of both. After wheeling my buddy's stock JLU Sahara up Miller Jeep Trail / Lockwood here in socal and a few other routes here in socal I know that I want the D44s and OEM lockers right off the bat - we've just got so many great trails so close by that I want to be able to take on those scenarios with a bit more confidence.

Forgive me for any ignorance here as this will be my first Wrangler but at least generally this is the conclusion I'm coming to: With the 4dr JLUR I just feel for both performance and aesthetics on the longer wheelbase I'd want at least 37s or larger, which at that point to feel 100% comfortable wheeling it hard I would look into building the axles or going to D60s as well as a regear. I just am not at that point in my life where I can go that deep with a build financially, so on the flip side from what I've seen the 2dr JLR needs a bit less to look great and perform well enough for what I want to do. 35s and a mild lift will likely get me the performance I'm looking for while staying comfortably within the "break less stuff" threshold of the D44s..

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think most people buy Jeeps with concerns about storage. Aside from priorities & depending on what you're wanting to haul, the 2-dr has sufficient storage when you remove the rear seat. I'm a member of the remove-rear-seat-for-good crowd & I take frequent beach trips with my Chick, loading up with plenty. Two large coolers, beach umbrella, chairs, bags for clothing, the golf bag, etc. for each trip. With my Jeep gear... compressor, tools...everything but a partridge in a pear tree. Stuffed the entire cargo area with room to see out the rear window and managing to keep clear of the sub.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Another vote here for ditching the rear bench and keeping the thump.

And welcome to the new addiction from a fellow noob!

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I concur with your reasoning for a 2 door. However, coming from a built RS5, even the Alpine doesnā€™t compare with the Audi B&O system.
I went with a 4 door Rubi so I could take more people along and, if we go out with friends, I now hear ā€œ letā€™s take the Jeep.ā€ I wanted the versatility, but you are right about it needing bigger tires to look right.
From a former 4 rings guy to another, just do it and welcome to the Jeep family.

Sponsored

kwtester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Black and Tan
Interesting - I did plan on getting the Alpine system but will definitely try and listen to the stock setup before I pull the trigger. Maybe I can then add a small sub under one of the seats. As for looking right vs performance, it's a bit of both. After wheeling my buddy's stock JLU Sahara up Miller Jeep Trail / Lockwood here in socal and a few other routes here in socal I know that I want the D44s and OEM lockers right off the bat - we've just got so many great trails so close by that I want to be able to take on those scenarios with a bit more confidence.

Forgive me for any ignorance here as this will be my first Wrangler but at least generally this is the conclusion I'm coming to: With the 4dr JLUR I just feel for both performance and aesthetics on the longer wheelbase I'd want at least 37s or larger, which at that point to feel 100% comfortable wheeling it hard I would look into building the axles or going to D60s as well as a regear. I just am not at that point in my life where I can go that deep with a build financially, so on the flip side from what I've seen the 2dr JLR needs a bit less to look great and perform well enough for what I want to do. 35s and a mild lift will likely get me the performance I'm looking for while staying comfortably within the "break less stuff" threshold of the D44s..
Alpine sells a aftermarket audio upgrade for JL Wranglers. It is made specifically for JLU, but somebody has posted that they have successfully installed on a 2 door. It comes with a sub, amp, and tweeter replacements. The sub and amp have are attached to a custom bracket that installs under the passenger seat. I've seen mixed reviews, and it's around $1,200. Always an option if you want the storage space though.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Anyone think a kicker l7 would fit back there or even 2. Iā€™ve been looking at there box for 2 and I think because of the bulge on the tailgate it doesnā€™t fit 2. But Iā€™m sure one will fit if you park inside they make a truck box for a 12 the l7t. If your looking at 10ā€™s and have the cash I fit my fathers 2/10ā€™s from jl audio bass wedge and an amp in my cubby installed onto the cubby flap. Couldnā€™t steal it unless you cut it in half. I bought one bass wedge and one was enough for the stock system. Iā€™m now looking to upgrade to a l7 or 2 if I can fit it or get a custom box for them. As Iā€™ll be running the American bass soundbar whenever they release it with ds18 8ā€™ mids with tweeters and 2 bullet tweers. All in a 2 door. So options are available for price I say get the truck l7 for one 12 and try that. Itā€™s double jl audio and half the price. Plus never heard someone say buy jl audio over a l7 just not something you see anywhere.

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
The Alpine system in my 2020 Rubi 2 door is outstanding. If sound quality is of importance then definitely consider this option. As for subwoofer placement in the back.. it can be covered with some form of cargo liner( WeatherTech/ Quadratec are good brands. ). Remember, low frequency sounds go through just about anything. So, covering the speaker grill will likely do little to prevent a bass effect. I store my rear cargo liner in the back. If I need it I lay it down, if not it gets thrown in the back seat.

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
One thing going with the alpine upgrade is the built in navigation. I know there are plenty of options, and most people use their phone, but I like a build in navigation. I am old and set in my way's. So that is what I am going to get. But I also do not like the subwoofer in the floor. After seeing the Alpine aftermarket upgrade system for the JL that does not have Alpine premium audio, it got me thinking why can't the subwoofer be moved to under the passenger seat so that the cargo tub liner option could be installed. I am ordering a new JL rubi soon, and was also wondering how easy it would be to do this. I don't think a dealership would let me look into taking out the subwoofer on a floor model, just to settle my curiosity.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Similar question, but different reason, Iā€™m fine with the stock audio in the JL, but Iā€™m looking at getting a JLR, and now itā€™s stock with the sub in the storage area. Has anyone removed it completely to gain the storage space back? I was just going to go check out a 2 door Rubi and see if itā€™s possible, but ā€˜22 - ā€˜23 are harder to just find at a dealer.
Sponsored