2-door JL seat question

rubicon18

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Query for my fellow 2-door owners out there. There is a lever on the back of each seat, when pulled will pull the seatback forward. On the passenger side, it also releases the slide so the seat slides forward as well. Not so on the driver side, you must pull the lever under the driver seat to allow it to slide forward. Dealer says that how it was designed. I doubt it, but the manual is silent on that. Can anyone confirm that?
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Query for my fellow 2-door owners out there. There is a lever on the back of each seat, when pulled will pull the seatback forward. On the passenger side, it also releases the slide so the seat slides forward as well. Not so on the driver side, you must pull the lever under the driver seat to allow it to slide forward. Dealer says that how it was designed. I doubt it, but the manual is silent on that. Can anyone confirm that?
BS. Both of my seats work the same way.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
You got me thinking I was smoking some crack, I had to go out and check.

On the driver side pull the handle that is near where your left shoulder would be when you're sitting in it. Back folds forward and (with a bit of a push) the seat slides forward. Only one lever to pull.

2019 2 door Rubicon with heated cloth seats. Maybe I paid extra for this feature?

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
I have a 2018 JLR and both seats slide forward when you pull on the handle; they function exactly the same.

I do not have heated seats.

OP
OP

rubicon18

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
You got me thinking I was smoking some crack, I had to go out and check.

On the driver side pull the handle that is near where your left shoulder would be when you're sitting in it. Back folds forward and (with a bit of a push) the seat slides forward. Only one lever to pull.

2019 2 door Rubicon with heated cloth seats. Maybe I paid extra for this feature?
Thanks for checking! I don't see why it would be designed differently from the passenger seat, and you have confirmed that. I have has the upper leather replaced (it was separating at the seams), and the tech broke the slide underneath. Then the lever on the seat broke so the dealer "fixed" both but now the seat wont slide forward unless I release the lever under the seat. Three problems with a freakin seat. Back to the dealer.

Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
And the part that I like is it should return the seat to it's previous settings before being tilted and moved forward.

Gummiente62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gummiente62.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 97 C5 Corvette, 03 HD FXD
Occupation
Retired
The lever under the seat is for setting it at your preferred distance from the steering wheel and pedals and leaving it there. The lever on top is for easy and quick access for rear passengers without needing to reset the distance. It will return to the proper distance and seatback angle every time. Your dvr side seat needs to be adjusted/repared, it should function the same as the passenger seat.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Thanks for checking! I don't see why it would be designed differently from the passenger seat, and you have confirmed that. I have has the upper leather replaced (it was separating at the seams), and the tech broke the slide underneath. Then the lever on the seat broke so the dealer "fixed" both but now the seat wont slide forward unless I release the lever under the seat. Three problems with a freakin seat. Back to the dealer.
Yep, definitely repaired incorrectly. My '18 Sport driver seat will slide forward - of course, not as much as the passenger side due to the steering wheel being in the way, but it does slide. I usually have rear seat passengers climb in from the passenger side.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
In (some) fairness to the dealer, on the JK 2 door, the driver seat functioned different from the passenger one. You did have to use the under-seat bar to slide it forward.

But yeah, on the JL? Both seats work the same.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Mine used to work that way, but then the tilt and slide mechanism broke- it actually got jammed so badly and was up against the steering wheel so that it was undrivable and had to be towed to the dealer. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ailure-for-me-thanks-jeep.62187/#post-1325954

When I got it back, it no longer did the tilt and slide, but I actually like it that way- I now don't have the risk of the cheesy plastic mechanism that makes the tilt and slide work breaking again and screwing up the seat out on the trail. I was really lucky the seat broke and jammed while parked in the garage! We rarely have anyone in the backseat anyway, and they can just get in from the passsenger side, which still works as designed (and I now carry a couple spares for the passenger mechanism, just in case).

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I had a '19 JLR and both seats worked the same. I don't recall on my JK? On my TJ only the passenger seat had the tip or tilt-up function. The passenger seat popped up and tilted forward and up out of the way so passengers had more room to get into the back seats. The driver seat did not have that function on the TJ. Maybe that was what was confusing for the dealer? Or they were just flat out incompetent. lol.
Sponsored