• Total voters

Orly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Tacoma, 04 Sienna, 06 Suzuki Boulevard
Occupation
Healthcare
So what is everyone thinking between the 2 dr. Rubicon or Sport S?
I think it's still a question of how deep are your pockets and what do you need out of your jeep?

For myself it's a combo of both. I'm not wealthy and I don't rock crawl.
Sponsored

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Watch this video. I don’t see any Rubicon’s, lift kits, 100 inch tires, etc, etc, etc

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for that video! its neat and funny but we gotta remember that back then, the trails weren't as worn out or used, however people wanna say it, as they are now with the increased popularity. Not bashing at all as I've never been there and have limited off roading experience; I'm just assuming. If a Sport (which i ordered) can make it through with no lift and big o tires, it just makes me happy as I'll be more confident on taking on bigger challenges. This will be my first Wrangler but I've always wanted one (2dr soft top) since I was a little kid and now that I'm an adult and can afford it, I decided to join in the club. I didn't see the need for a Rubicon and honestly that extra $$ could go on the trips I'll be taking it and some 33s :giggle:

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
So what is everyone thinking between the 2 dr. Rubicon or Sport S?
I am still on the fence. Rubi has more than I will ever need, but the Sport S does not have enough.

I need a 2 dr Sahara!

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I am still on the fence. Rubi has more than I will ever need, but the Sport S does not have enough.

I need a 2 dr Sahara!
I see tons of 2 door JK Saharas around. There's no way jeep discontinued that due to demand.

They discontinued it to slowly get people to stop buying the cheaper, lower profit margin 2 doors. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 door gets dumbed down and cheated more in the coming years. And discontinued in the next ten.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
True, but besides cost, some don’t like the look or features of the Rubicon.

I think it's still a question of how deep are your pockets and what do you need out of your jeep?

For myself it's a combo of both. I'm not wealthy and I don't rock crawl.

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Don’t see them ever discontinuing the 2 door, that’s like discontinuing the Jeep Wrangler...that’s the true classic Wrangler that Jeep will always hold onto even if it’s one trim level.

I see tons of 2 door JK Saharas around. There's no way jeep discontinued that due to demand.

They discontinued it to slowly get people to stop buying the cheaper, lower profit margin 2 doors. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 door gets dumbed down and cheated more in the coming years. And discontinued in the next ten.

LEO95

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep Wrangler Jk hardtop
I am replying to my own post to apologize for my overly confident post as I am stuffing crow down my throat!

I went to Hilltop Jeep in Richmond Ca today on a whim. My wife and I looked at a Sport, a Sahara, and a Rubicon.

We drove all three.

I am now wavering!!!!!! Jeep did an outstanding job on this JLU Rubicon!

If you are on the fence, please don’t look at all three of the above while they are parked next to one another. The high fenders and aggressive stance of the Rubicon put it miles above the other models.

Back to the drawing board. I am going to strip it down to the bare essentials on the website and see how much it is.

Don’t bash me too hard, just being honest!!!

Lee

I am a careful spender, but I have the budget for either model. However, I only need a Jeep with ac, 4dr, power locks, automatic, and power windows. I have always had sports and they perform well on snow, sand, dirt road, fire trails and moderately difficult trails. My first car was a 73 FJ40 in Arkansas and there was no where I couldn’t go for me.

I pull my Jeep behind my RV and every # counts. I will get the Sport S JLU. I don’t want to spend the extra $6500 for Rubicon upgrades I will never use. I also don’t need the extra 238# of weight, or more of if you get the steel bumpers.

There is nothing worse that seeing a dirty old rubicon driven in the City by a soccer mom who has never taken it off road. Just get a renegade or a Honda, or something else.

Watch this video. I don’t see any Rubicon’s, lift kits, 100 inch tires, etc, etc, etc

Lastly, you can load 1000 pounds of cargo in the Sport S, around 820 for the Rubi. That leaves me more weight for over landing.

My 2 cents.

This is what I want

AAB7E64E-2D02-4685-AB6D-B0487E0F4D16.png

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
There’s no right or wrong answer....many will agree with your initial thoughts, others will pay the extra $6,500.

I am replying to my own post to apologize for my overly confident post as I am stuffing crow down my throat!

I went to Hilltop Jeep in Richmond Ca today on a whim. My wife and I looked at a Sport, a Sahara, and a Rubicon.

We drove all three.

If you are on the fence, please don’t look at all three of the above while they are parked next to one another. The high fenders and aggressive stance of the Rubicon put it miles above the other models.

Back to the drawing board. I am going to strip it down to the bare essentials on the website and see how much it is.

Lee

Orly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare

We drove all three.

Lee
I bet the Rubi is a looker. The $5200 dollar difference in my case will go towards a boat. That would go much farther for our fun-factor.

I'm just going to have to go see the Jeeps for myself at some point to test my resolve.

Sponsored

Orly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Of course it is, but then again when your having to pay an additional $8,900 more which is the case when I price the Sport S to Rubicon, I expect it to be not only a far better looker, but performer too.
I know it's been a long time since I last bought a new car but overall new car prices seem way to high IMO, along with home prices. In a few years I'll be priced out of the Wranglers I think and probably other vehicles too. My wages increase slightly every year but they just don't keep up, haven't for a long time. That's why leasing is do popular and used car market getting flooded with them.

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
Welcome to the forum!

... but we gotta remember that back then, the trails weren't as worn out or used ...:giggle:
I thought the trails were for cars!?

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel

Yup, I can drive to the dealer tomorrow and buy a new 2018 2 dr Sahara JK sitting in the dealers lot. Looking at the latest sales figures, looks like the 2 dr Sahara out sells the 2 dr Rubi consistently.

Then why no Jl 2 dr Sahara available? I may just wait a bit longer to buy and drive the BMW convertible a bit longer.
Sponsored