Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I really hope that they redesign the Freedom Panels in the future. They're *ginormous* and don't fit cleanly in the Jeep when you take them off. Sure, there's that bag, but it's MASSIVE and blocks your entire rear view when it's got the panels in there, plus takes up ~12inches of cargo space. I'd love to see the Freedom Panels resized/redesigned to slide into slots on either side of the cargo area. They'd have to shorten them, obviously, but I think that would be a much more logical/clean storage area.

Or resize the storage tub underneath the cargo bay to store them.

Or a roof-rack type solution where they clip onto the back part of the hard top, or maybe lift up and slide back, etc.
I had this idea a while ago, sort of a lift up and slide back type of design. @Gee-pah was attempting a prototype, but I'm not sure how much progress was made.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-for-manufacturers.16236/page-12#post-1105903

iris-copy-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Or resize the storage tub underneath the cargo bay to store them.

Or a roof-rack type solution where they clip onto the back part of the hard top, or maybe lift up and slide back, etc.
Here's another idea I had for storing the panels upright and behind the driver (to minimize blind spots). The 2-door with the rear seat out gives enough space, not sure about the 4-door (probably would need to fold the seat down). Also the 2-door bracket could have quick a disconnecting mechanism that is held in place by the rear seat mounting loops. I think if they were designed properly, you could still have access to the floor storage (would probably need to remove inner panel from storage though).

Edit: fixed link https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-for-manufacturers.16236/page-13#post-1139063

Jeep Wrangler JL 2-door JL Orange Peelz Concept showcases removable hard top windows @ Chicago Auto Show r-cars-inline-2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-cargo-2-18-

Last edited:

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Here's another idea I had for storing the panels upright and behind the driver (to minimize blind spots). The 2-door with the rear seat out gives enough space, not sure about the 4-door (probably would need to fold the seat down). Also the 2-door bracket could have quick a disconnecting mechanism that is held in place by the rear seat mounting loops. I think if they were designed properly, you could still have access to the floor storage (would probably need to remove inner panel from storage though).

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-cargo-2-18-png.327598/

Jeep Wrangler JL 2-door JL Orange Peelz Concept showcases removable hard top windows @ Chicago Auto Show r-cars-inline-2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-cargo-2-18-
That's how I was hoping to be able to store them before I learned how you actually have to store them. I think there's *almost* enough room, but to accomplish that (in future models), FCA would need to both redesign the Freedom Panels themselves AND make some adjustments to the interior.

Having them both on that side (vs my suggestion of one on each side) is also better, because they don't block the subwoofer and they'd be easier to get out with the tailgate (which would possibly block the one stored on the passenger side)

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I had this idea a while ago, sort of a lift up and slide back type of design. @Gee-pah was attempting a prototype, but I'm not sure how much progress was made.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-for-manufacturers.16236/page-12#post-1105903

@Gee-pah could NOT get it to work.

Although I had connected steel bar between each panel at the point where the factory screws held in the tie wodn clamps (replacing the factory screw swith longer ones), the two connected panels would not rise and lower well as a single unit...sagging in the middle.

This design works when both panels act as one.

Then again, that was my implementation, YMMV.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
That's how I was hoping to be able to store them before I learned how you actually have to store them. I think there's *almost* enough room, but to accomplish that (in future models), FCA would need to both redesign the Freedom Panels themselves AND make some adjustments to the interior.
I don't think a redesign is needed, just some sort of simple bracket for them to sit on and get strapped to the roll bar. Maybe something like this
335065_p_t_640x480_image10-jpg.jpg

Having them both on that side (vs my suggestion of one on each side) is also better, because they don't block the subwoofer and they'd be easier to get out with the tailgate (which would possibly block the one stored on the passenger side)
Plus the driver's visibility is better, and you would only have to fold down the smaller rear seat in the 4-door (leaving more space for the lonely back seat passanger).

I was originally thinking 2-sideed storage also, but I think it's definitely better stacking to the drivers side.

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Link to official info on Orange Peelz Concept:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-including-magneto-wrangler-ev-concept.67708/

Is Jeep tossing a bone to 2-door owners? Looks like Jeep is teasing 2-door owners again? Jeep showed a Orange Peel colored 2-door hard top with half doors.. The VERY cool thing about this hard top was the windows or lack of them. The windows were removable! I would LOVE to see removable hard top windows as a production option in the future!!!

I WANT!!!!!:involve:

image2-2.jpeg
image0-2.jpeg

Admin edit:

Added couple more pics of the Orange Peelz concept by @869 KPH at sister-site Jeepgladiatorforum.com.

img_6788-jpg.jpg

img_6789-jpg.jpg
Daddy likey

N75

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
If they can do it on the Sky One Touch, why can't they do it on the regular hard top?.....
I had a Sahara with Sky One Touch for a little over two years. One thing to note is the removable back windows squeak and need to have the rubber seals lubricated every month or two to avoid the styrofoam rubbing together sound over bumps. Removable hard windows are cool, and I do like this concept top as someone that favors hard tops (have one now on my 2dr) but the more independent parts, the more things move, rattle, and squeak.

CMF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 2021 SAHARA (that my wife lets me drive on the weekends..sometimes.)
I had a Sahara with Sky One Touch for a little over two years. One thing to note is the removable back windows squeak and need to have the rubber seals lubricated every month or two to avoid the styrofoam rubbing together sound over bumps. Removable hard windows are cool, and I do like this concept top as someone that favors hard tops (have one now on my 2dr) but the more independent parts, the more things move, rattle, and squeak.
I get that. We have a Sky One Touch roof on my wife's Sahara and a panoramic moonroof on my F150, and yeah, they need some attention, but to me, it's worth it .

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I've been scouring craigslist for the last few months for a 2dr hard top with no glass (at a fair price) with the intention of just running with it glassless as a summer top... maybe securing some cargo nets over the openings (or some steel molle panels??). It makes for a cleaner platform for a roof rack than the exoskeleton types available for us soft top owners.

This top with a sunroof freedom panel and removable side/back glass would be absolute perfection for me. I only ever really want to run the soft top in safari mode or all closed up. A hardtop pseudo-safari is the best of all worlds, especially with a window on top too. Wallet open, take my money Jeep, take it!

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I really hope Jeep offers removable hard top windows for the 2-door.

"PAGING" Jeep Cares! Come on Jeep, bring the removable hard top windows and sock it to the Bronco before they do it!

They are almost there...

Yes, exactly. They make them removable on the Sky Touch, why not do it on all the hard tops...make a 2 person job into 1.

Glovetown

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
I've been scouring craigslist for the last few months for a 2dr hard top with no glass (at a fair price) with the intention of just running with it glassless as a summer top... maybe securing some cargo nets over the openings (or some steel molle panels??). It makes for a cleaner platform for a roof rack than the exoskeleton types available for us soft top owners.

This top with a sunroof freedom panel and removable side/back glass would be absolute perfection for me. I only ever really want to run the soft top in safari mode or all closed up. A hardtop pseudo-safari is the best of all worlds, especially with a window on top too. Wallet open, take my money Jeep, take it!
2 door sky touch and removable side windows is on my list

Beebe Senior

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I have brought this up many times. Now someone could remove the glass one panel at a time, then easily remove the hardtop by themself with no equipment required. A broken piece of glass could easily be replaced with no concern of damaging the hardtop or it’s finish.

interesting though, there is no place for hinges on the back of the top. This is probably just for show.

I like the late 60s/early 70s Jeep emblem on the front fender. Too bad it wasn’t installed straight.
Mine already has this but it is b/c it is on the one touch top. I really like taking the rear windows out.
Sponsored