2 DOOR JL build/order discussions master thread

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
I did Jeep Beach last year and it was good but I want to try another this year. I am thinking about the Smokey Mountains and Blueridge Parkway, maybe the Jeep Jam
Awesome area. I loved Kentucky and the people were awesome!
Sponsored

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
Got my new to me wheels and 37’s installed yesterday. I will get some better pics later

8F194FEE-AE5C-427F-9DF5-3718AD8FF228.jpeg

21FB2CDA-DCC1-4944-B529-FDB424C8EA69.jpeg
37's? You did a lift as well? Hows the braking and gas mileage? Hows 8th gear? Doc is looking good!

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
and here i am to remind you guys that i am breaking axle shafts front and back on 35's. the taller you go the higher your probabilities of breaking.
And I will ask how do you wheel, where do you wheel, how loaded is it when you wheel? There is a lot that would need to be looked at. In the NE area it is mostly slow trails and rocks, both are usually slippery. I haven’t been but I am told that areas like Moab are tough on drive trains cause of the natural traction. A loaded or overloaded Jeep wheeled could play a role also. I also use mine at least 90% of the time on the blacktop

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
37's? You did a lift as well? Hows the braking and gas mileage? Hows 8th gear? Doc is looking good!
I just got the wheels on last night so I don’t have any real info as of yet. As far as the lift goes, it drives night and day different. The biggest part of the package is the ability to adjust the caster. I used to drive down the highway like a drunken sailor without any crosswinds, now I can take my hands off the wheel and still track straight. I will post back after some miles but I only drive it on weekends really

Sponsored

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Fred, I know you asked Billy, but FWIW my Mopar 2" lift and 37's only lost me about 1mpg. She drives every bit as good as she did stock and no squirrelly steering issues. I did add a Fox steering damper as part of the lift install. She feels very solid on the pavement.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
And I will ask how do you wheel, where do you wheel, how loaded is it when you wheel? There is a lot that would need to be looked at. In the NE area it is mostly slow trails and rocks, both are usually slippery. I haven’t been but I am told that areas like Moab are tough on drive trains cause of the natural traction. A loaded or overloaded Jeep wheeled could play a role also. I also use mine at least 90% of the time on the blacktop
all valid points, i was empty, base camp had been made. it is definitely important to build for what you will encounter most and also if it is a daily driver is a huge consideration. but in spite of all those truths. in my experience i can say that tire size greatly effects a great many other parts, mostly to the other parts detriment. you cannot enlarge one component and expect those designed for a lessor load to perform the same. as you stretch the margins you greatly reduce the lifespan of your existing parts. and the only reason you would not know how i drive is because you dont care to look. the majority of my jeep driving is offroad, it is not a dd and 90% of it is in evidence for all to see on you tube, including when we broke.

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
all valid points, i was empty, base camp had been made. it is definitely important to build for what you will encounter most and also if it is a daily driver is a huge consideration. but in spite of all those truths. in my experience i can say that tire size greatly effects a great many other parts, mostly to the other parts detriment. you cannot enlarge one component and expect those designed for a lessor load to perform the same. as you stretch the margins you greatly reduce the lifespan of your existing parts. and the only reason you would not know how i drive is because you dont care to look. the majority of my jeep driving is offroad, it is not a dd and 90% of it is in evidence for all to see on you tube, including when we broke.
I have seen your vids and that is why I asked the questions of how you wheel, how often and how loaded down are you. Have a great night

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen your vids and that is why I asked the questions of how you wheel, how often and how loaded down are you. Have a great night
well then you have seen that there are 252 videos uploaded, the great majority of them uploaded after 2016. so being as there are only 52 weekends a year id say the math would tell how often we wheel. not trying to be rude at all and sorry if i am coming off that way. have a good evening.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I got my rig back finally from the whole heater core fiasco, 22 days in the shop.. Went to go install my 67designs phone mount in the parking lot and the two dash screws were missing in the top bin, a sign of a job well done by the dealer :headbang: I had them find the screws and replace them on the spot.

Made them put it back, drove off and smelled coolant again, probably residue from the original leak I thought, but let's check the reservoir anyways. Pop the hood, and the coolant reservoir was bone ****ing dry. Rushed it back, they did a leak down test for an hour and chalked it up to an improper fill/air bubble and the level didn't get rechecked after test drive. Not to mention the little pry marks I now have on various pieces of my dash where they went in. I'm taking pictures of these and sending them to my Jeep Wave case manager - I couldn't bear being at or dealing with the dealer any longer.

Naturally I went straight to the forest and climbed a quick mountain, nothing too challenging (Rowher 4x4 to bouquet), but one of my favorite scenic trails within 45 minutes of my house. On this trail I realized my 67designs phone mount works great as a rig to shoot video too - if anyone's lusting after some Jeeping here's a video of my descent from yesterday evening from the summit of Rowher backwards down towards the staging areas, across all the ridges, with just the sounds of nature, the purr of the 3.6, and a random open comms radio channel from who knows where. I pick up super long range stuff when I'm up this high:

Oh, and in the hour I sat at the dealer during the leak test I ended up buying the MOPAR bar for the steel bumper. A little small I think but looks cool for now. I just had to wrench on something now that it's back.
IMG_0643.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG

Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
I got my rig back finally from the whole heater core fiasco, 22 days in the shop.. Went to go install my 67designs phone mount in the parking lot and the two dash screws were missing in the top bin, a sign of a job well done by the dealer :headbang: I had them find the screws and replace them on the spot.

Made them put it back, drove off and smelled coolant again, probably residue from the original leak I thought, but let's check the reservoir anyways. Pop the hood, and the coolant reservoir was bone ****ing dry. Rushed it back, they did a leak down test for an hour and chalked it up to an improper fill/air bubble and the level didn't get rechecked after test drive. Not to mention the little pry marks I now have on various pieces of my dash where they went in. I'm taking pictures of these and sending them to my Jeep Wave case manager - I couldn't bear being at or dealing with the dealer any longer.

Naturally I went straight to the forest and climbed a quick mountain, nothing too challenging (Rowher 4x4 to bouquet), but one of my favorite scenic trails within 45 minutes of my house. On this trail I realized my 67designs phone mount works great as a rig to shoot video too - if anyone's lusting after some Jeeping here's a video of my descent from yesterday evening from the summit of Rowher backwards down towards the staging areas, across all the ridges, with just the sounds of nature, the purr of the 3.6, and a random open comms radio channel from who knows where. I pick up super long range stuff when I'm up this high:

Oh, and in the hour I sat at the dealer during the leak test I ended up buying the MOPAR bar for the steel bumper. A little small I think but looks cool for now. I just had to wrench on something now that it's back.
IMG_0643.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG
They certainly can try your patience, dealer asked why i wouldn't go with mopar upgraded shafts and keep my warranty in tact, i said because the warranty isnt worth sh*t! Lol

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
The sweet smell is back through the heater vents tonight. I hope it’s just residue, but it didn’t blast any sweet smell at me the last 36 hours so I’m suspicious that all of a sudden it’s back. Not seeing any leaks visible.

I swear if this thing has to go back in I’m gonna flip. Trying to wheel the piss out of it as they say this weekend.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
The sweet smell is back through the heater vents tonight. I hope it’s just residue, but it didn’t blast any sweet smell at me the last 36 hours so I’m suspicious that all of a sudden it’s back. Not seeing any leaks visible.

I swear if this thing has to go back in I’m gonna flip. Trying to wheel the piss out of it as they say this weekend.
Can't like your post. That sucks, man. Hope you get it figured out.

gabeguy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Rubi (SOLD) , 2007 FJ Cruiser, 1954 Willys
I am a new iPhone user, I just paired but it doesn’t allow messages does anyone else have this issue
Billy, I thought you were mistaken when I read this yesterday, so I tried it last nite on the way home (without plugging my iPhone in) and sent a spoken text using the Siri button on the steering wheel and it worked great! If you've never done a spoken text, just say "Siri, send a message ( or text) to Joe Blow" and she'll ask you want you want to say. Hope this helps!

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Billy, I thought you were mistaken when I read this yesterday, so I tried it last nite on the way home (without plugging my iPhone in) and sent a spoken text using the Siri button on the steering wheel and it worked great! If you've never done a spoken text, just say "Siri, send a message ( or text) to Joe Blow" and she'll ask you want you want to say. Hope this helps!
My issue is not getting notifications thru the radio when one comes in or being able to have the radio read it back to me. My android would through the radio announce the text from “joe blow” and give me the option to have it read on the screen of the radio. Even if I just get the announcement I would be happy.
Sponsored