2 DOOR JL build/order discussions master thread

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
I'm hoping to regear at some point. Being pulled to 5.13's but I think 4.88's would be the best choice. Gotta read more reviews with others that have them and a 6 speed.
The 4.88 brought me back close to stock. There are plenty of charts out there to show gears, rpms and tire choice plus I found a math formula that Ian used on 4x4 extreme. Stock tire size, stock gear ratio and the new tire size will give you the gear ratio to bring the new tire size back to stock performance. It was something like 4.57, which you can’t get so I went 4.88. This puts me close to stock again plus gives a little more torque. I am back up to 19 mpg in the limited amount of miles I have put on and I get 7th and 8th gear back when on highway
Sponsored

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
The 4.88 brought me back close to stock. There are plenty of charts out there to show gears, rpms and tire choice plus I found a math formula that Ian used on 4x4 extreme. Stock tire size, stock gear ratio and the new tire size will give you the gear ratio to bring the new tire size back to stock performance. It was something like 4.57, which you can’t get so I went 4.88. This puts me close to stock again plus gives a little more torque. I am back up to 19 mpg in the limited amount of miles I have put on and I get 7th and 8th gear back when on highway
Some good info. Thanks Billy.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I was looking at 4.88's because my calculations for getting back to stock were about the same. I know it does wonders for the auto, but will it be the same for the manual? I "think" it should be deep enough to help out on the trails as well. :movember:

I have time to mull it over. Taxes will not be kind this year. :time::piggybank:

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Gary I don’t know what it will do for a standard but so far I like it

Sponsored

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
In other news, I put winter boots on Wrikki. A little chicken leggy but not horrible. She's now part Gladiator!
B1352CDC-40E2-41B9-8CAF-816839248320_1_105_c.jpeg

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Hey fellow 2 door Jeepers! Looks like I will be road tripping with my daughter to Arizona in March (her spring break). Will be in Tucson for a day or 2 then a few days in Phoenix. Would like to hit some trails while there. Looking for some recommendations or better yet if there is someone in that area that would like to go out with us. Always better have a guide familiar with the area.

IMBlu

First Name
Cristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door ocean blue jl
Hey fellow 2 door Jeepers! Looks like I will be road tripping with my daughter to Arizona in March (her spring break). Will be in Tucson for a day or 2 then a few days in Phoenix. Would like to hit some trails while there. Looking for some recommendations or better yet if there is someone in that area that would like to go out with us. Always better have a guide familiar with the area.
I haven’t moved to Arizona, Chad, but envy your determination to hit all states with your daughter!

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
I haven’t moved to Arizona, Chad, but envy your determination to hit all states with your daughter!
Hey Cristina, it has been fun. After this summers trip up to the Dakotas, Wyoming and Montana we will have been to all of the lower 48. Mostly in the past 3 years.

Sponsored

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
That’s what I want to do when I grow up! :)
Please don't wait too long. Who knows what tomorrow brings.

Edit: Gary's signature line says it all......

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
Just got home from picking Doc up. I dropped him last Saturday to get the gears done. I went to 4.88 cause with the 37’s I wasn’t getting into 8th ever and seldom 7th on the highway. Mileage was down to 15-16 but it is back up to 19-20 now. I have to give it some miles to break in before I try it out off the line as well as in the woods. So far I am stoked
Do you know the difference in engine speed in 8th ? Also did you get bigger breaks and if not how is the breaking?

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Do you know the difference in engine speed in 8th ? Also did you get bigger breaks and if not how is the breaking?
I can check for you. Do you know what speed you want to see the rpm’s at? No I still have the factory brakes and I didn’t see any differences. I am sure there is but nothing that was noticeable
Sponsored