2 Door Highway Driving & Handling / Comfort

dloreski

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 & Honda Civic
Considering buying a new JL Rubicon 2 door.
Most of my driving is local, but I do travel 4 hours on the highway once a week.
How good or bad is it?
Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Heard they're fine if you're not gonna be weaving through traffic

I was gonna ask this myself, but figured it was inane, so subbed

sgtkersh

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon in Ocean Blue Metallic
I have a 2019 2 door Rubicon, bought it 6/29. I have about 700 miles that I have put on it and honestly it is the best stock Jeep I have ever driven. I took it on a drive through the mountains here in Virginia two weeks ago, from Madison to Harrisonburg, up and over Skyline drive and didn't have any driveability issues. I have driven close to 80 on an interstate here and no issues. There are plenty JL owners that seem to have wandering and other steering issues (play in the wheel), but I don't seem to have any of those. I have the 2.0T with auto and it is a dream to drive. Lots of power. I have some steep mountain climbs around me that my 2013 JKU with 6 speed manual struggled with. I had to downshift pretty low to get it up and over, even after regearing to 4.56 (on 37s), and I just don't have that problem with this JL.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
I have a 2019 2 door Rubicon, bought it 6/29. I have about 700 miles that I have put on it and honestly it is the best stock Jeep I have ever driven. I took it on a drive through the mountains here in Virginia two weeks ago, from Madison to Harrisonburg, up and over Skyline drive and didn't have any driveability issues. I have driven close to 80 on an instate here and no issues. There are plenty JL owners that seem to have wandering and other steering issues (play in the wheel), but I don't seem to have any of those. I have the 2.0T with auto and it is a dream to drive. Lots of power. I have some steep mountain climbs around me that my 2013 JKU with 6 speed manual struggled with. I had to downshift pretty low to get it up and over, even after regearing to 4.56 (on 37s), and I just don't have that problem with this JL.
Works for me

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I've driven 11000 miles so far and every one of them have been great.

Long drive to CA from CO and it was comfortable and able to keep up on the highway no problem. Went up and over the pass fully loaded without drama. It is quite peppy for a Jeep in my humble opinion.

Highly recommended. :like:

Alanscott1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
A&P Mechanic
My 2dr JLR has a bit of play in the steering but for me it’s actually more stable on the freeway as they tend to be in better shape than my local roads.

My initial reactions when I first got the Jeep was to correct every little bit of wandering the jeep would do, which became somewhat tiring but after awhile you kinda learn it tendencies and let it settle in a bit and go with the flow. Jeeps have about the same steering precision of a dull butter knife used to filet a fish.

Last edited:

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Terrific little Jeep. Its got just the right amount of doors. Drives amazing. And the turbo version is a fast little bastard. We took it to Montana and back and it was terrific. If you have the chance to get the ACC, do it. Make the drive so much more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Highlander
I had some of the same concerns, as I wanted a 2-door and drive on highways daily (about 100 miles round trip) to get to/from work...

I went to Carmax and took out several JK’s, both hard and soft tops, took them out on the highway and got them up to 90mph. Didn’t seem like I was having any issues, so I figured the JLs would be equally as good (if not better) at the same speeds.

Would suggest you do the same - a dealership probably won’t let you do that in a new Jeep.

I’ve currently got a 2-door on order in “D” status, haha. Best of luck

Sponsored

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
I absolutely love my 2 Door.....I've always wanted a 2 door, stick Jeep and it hasn't disappointed. Bought it in November and have about 5,000 miles on it. It is a little rough to put an adult in the back seat but other than that, it's great. Very easy to park, relatively quick (for a truck) and actually plenty of cargo room. I just did a six hour road trip and wasn't tired or worn out from the drive at all.....(I do have the Sport S and not the Rubi)....

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I love mine. I've had a TJ, still have a JKU, and now a JL. Each generation just keeps getting better and better. I'm really happy with the JL. It's so much fun:like:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Considering buying a new JL Rubicon 2 door.
Most of my driving is local, but I do travel 4 hours on the highway once a week.
How good or bad is it?
2dr Rubi 6sp, here. It’s my DD and my commute is 1+ hours of stop and go traffic each way. The Jeep is great! Way more fun than sitting in the hearse (Yukon XL) that I used to drive. I mean it’s a bumpier ride, but that’s part of the fun. The seat (I got leather) is very comfy and supportive. (Note that I’m lean and fit. Larger folks may not find it as comfy, so YMMV.)

I just flipped 20,000 miles.

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
I will throw in my 2 pennies worth...great Jeep. I have had my 18 Rubicon 2 door for a little over a year now. I have just over 23k on it. I have done plenty of trips in it and I have to say, it drives more like a pick-up than a short wheel based Jeep. For my 6 ft, 280(ish) lb frame, the seats are good and comfy. Yes, you still feel bumps. Yes, it still bounces around (unless you lower the tire pressure). But I haven't noticed the bucking you used to get from the TJs. I haven't owned or ridden in a JK but i hear they were bad too. My long trip in the Jeep was a week long (about 1200 miles) jaunt from St. Louis to Waco, TX and back. In fact, we are going on a little vacation this weekend of about 700-800 miles in the Jeep. Can't wait!!!

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
It handles like a short car with tight springs...what we USED to expect from a sports car. No wander, no death wobble, but it doesn't track like my 6000 pound 21 foot Ram PU. If you're used to longer wheelbase it's easy to oversteer. This is my 6 th Jeep, going all the way back to a 1949 Willys wagon. They just keep getting better. I have the 3.6 with auto tranny. Plenty of pep, and much more stable in curves and turns than any Jeep I've had before...very little body lean with stock suspension and tires.
Sponsored