2 Door Hard Top NVH Question

omenlabs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still working on my first Jeep
I have a bit of a sensitive ear when it comes to pressure changes. I've seen threads where people are using pool noodles to dampen the hard top on their Wrangler Unlimiteds and I noticed a bit of rumble myself when I rented an Unlimited for a weekend. I'm looking at getting a 2 door JL and I'm curious if anyone has noticed the same effect with the shorter hard top. In my trawling I've only managed to find one other person where they were also bothered by the hard top on their 2 door JK and just running with a soft top.

Given that I noticed the same thing in a CX-5, which is otherwise ultra quiet, I'm leaning towards going soft top just to avoid any drum like effects. I'd rather have a bit more general noise than LFE noise. However my short impression of driving the 2 door hard top is that it is much less boomy than the Unlimited, but the Unlimited only became fatiguing after a full day of driving around. I'm wondering if anyone has similar issues.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I own a JLUR hardtop and have driven it in the hardtop config and with a Bestop Sunrider config. Perhaps my ears are not as focused as yours but I have not experienced what you describe. the JLUR is not a quiet vehicle but a “boomy” “rumble” I don’t experience. I need to research this “pool noodle“ thing as this is the first that I have heard of it.....

sorry that I couldn’t help you.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I have the soft top and have never noticed this effect.

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
I have a bit of a sensitive ear when it comes to pressure changes. I've seen threads where people are using pool noodles to dampen the hard top on their Wrangler Unlimiteds and I noticed a bit of rumble myself when I rented an Unlimited for a weekend. I'm looking at getting a 2 door JL and I'm curious if anyone has noticed the same effect with the shorter hard top. In my trawling I've only managed to find one other person where they were also bothered by the hard top on their 2 door JK and just running with a soft top.

Given that I noticed the same thing in a CX-5, which is otherwise ultra quiet, I'm leaning towards going soft top just to avoid any drum like effects. I'd rather have a bit more general noise than LFE noise. However my short impression of driving the 2 door hard top is that it is much less boomy than the Unlimited, but the Unlimited only became fatiguing after a full day of driving around. I'm wondering if anyone has similar issues.
Your best bet could be the Premium Twill Soft Top. It’s surprisingly quiet, and you’d be all but guaranteed it won’t have any of the pressure issues the hard tops do.

OP
OP
omenlabs

omenlabs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I saw the Premium Twill today. It looks really good. I'm have a Miata ND Sport, which lacks some soft top foam the higher trims have, and I've been impressed by the standard JL soft top. I think not being ear level with other people's tires helps a lot. :)

Sponsored

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2 door with a hard top and haven’t noticed anything resembling the sound you described. If you went this route - and experienced the booming sound - maybe sound panels could help.
Good luck!!!

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Like JLJeeper, I've never noticed any kind of noise like you're describing with my 2019 JL 2-Door with the hard top and I've driven it extensively on the expressway.

Best,
-Tim

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Just take a 2dr hardtop for a test drive, FWIW I haven't noticed any issues w/ ours.

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
I have the soft top on my 2021 and it is actually fairly quiet. On the interstate at 70 it is completely comfortable and no issue with a conversation with passengers or using phone on bluetooth.

OP
OP
omenlabs

omenlabs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've test driven the 2 door soft and hard top here in Southern California and have taken both on the 405. My impression was that the 2 door hard top was less boomy than the Unlimited, but it is something that takes a bit of driving for me to figure out. I took another look in Turo and managed to find a 2 door hard top JL. Might rent that to try it out, but the soft top is growing on me.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I've test driven the 2 door soft and hard top here in Southern California and have taken both on the 405. My impression was that the 2 door hard top was less boomy than the Unlimited, but it is something that takes a bit of driving for me to figure out. I took another look in Turo and managed to find a 2 door hard top JL. Might rent that to try it out, but the soft top is growing on me.
Renting would be a good plan since your ears are sensitive to pressure changes. I used stacked Volara Foam panels on our freedom panels and it really took much of the wind noise out and able to enjoy the stereo much more. Also seems to help w/ insulation from heat & cold.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-freedom-panel-insulation.39709/
I have plenty of Volara for the rest of the hardtop, just haven't had the motivation :(

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
I have a 2 door with hard top but this is the only boom boom I am familiar with

Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Hard Top NVH Question A345F18E-4126-4E56-B889-A1276C4E83DE

OP
OP
omenlabs

omenlabs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2 door with hard top but this is the only boom boom I am familiar with...
Hmmm... I guess I could try breaking in my ears while I wait for delivery... 😛

Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Hard Top NVH Question 1609649025520

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I have not noticed any boomy sounds in my two door with a hard top. I only hear wind and tire noise.

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
The hardtops are really loud if you get alot of snow and ice. Creaks, bangs, booms. Jeep life
Sponsored