MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a full electric Wrangler. One thing to consider would be to buy a nice 2 door JK with a blown engine. Then take it to a conversion company to have an electric drive train installed.
Or just buy a nice 2 door JLR and use it until the EV conversion kits come out. I'm planning an engine swap after 100K or so when the EV kit prices are more affordable and tested to be reliable with better range... 🙏
Sponsored

OP
OP
doublethebass

doublethebass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Tacoma Pro 6MT, waiting for an electric Jeep
are there EV kits available now? I haven't seen one...

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
are there EV kits available now? I haven't seen one...
There's a few companies that do conversions for the old-school Defenders and Erevon supposedly does one for the TJ, but haven't noticed anything for the JK (or JL) yet, outside of a few custom one-off builds and the Mopar vaporware concepts.

OP
OP
doublethebass

doublethebass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's a few companies that do conversions for the old-school Defenders and Erevon supposedly does one for the TJ, but haven't noticed anything for the JK (or JL) yet, outside of a few custom one-off builds and the Mopar vaporware concepts.
Gotcha. I’ve seen some of the older vehicle conversions. Thought there might have been something for the JL

Reactions: AFD

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Recon looks an awful lot like a Renegade 🙄. Not my cuppa, but different stroke for different folks.

Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
My next Wrangler is going to be a two-door sport regardless of which engine is in it, but that that being said...

I'd buy a 2dr 4xe Sport, so long as it wasn't $50,000.

I wonder if I could still get it with manual doors and windows? How is the 4xe off-road? Does anyone know? I mean the 2dr's enhanced off-road capabilities over the four-door, with that insane amount of unyielded torque!? That would be an off-road demon!

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Brad from Trail Recon posted a video for a 4xe that's rated full electric on road for IIRC 29 miles; offroad he got ...spoiler here....less than 11 miles. So there's that to consider, too. Skip to 23:00 if you just want the result.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
It seems that unless/until battery technology improves, a 2-door all electric Jeep isn't in the cards. So, we're looking at either A.) a 2-door 4xe or B.) a good excuse for Jeep to ditch the 2-door platform entirely in the switch to an eventual all-electric Wrangler. Personally, I'm hoping for option A.

Last edited:

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Well I guess I'm going to start buying up two door JKs since they're fairly inexpensive and they're about to be the hottest item on the market!

Sponsored

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
No one really knows, and no one has any inside information.

That said, for a BEV Wrangler to be viable you need AT LEAST 125kWh battery capacity, and realistically more like 200 kWh. Batteries still weigh in the neighborhood of 14/15 lbs per kWh. (The current 4xe battery pack is MUCH heavier than that per kWh) So you're looking at a bulky pack with a min weight of 1750 lbs.

Realistically - tell me you're shoehorning that into the 2 door?

Ain't happenin. Sorry. Does not pass the sniff test. Maybe after we uptake whatever the next generation of battery technology turns out to be, after Lithium Ion, the two door might be able to make a comeback.

If you want a two door to keep for the next decade, buy a gasser. Sorry.
Thought I was the only one preaching this.

No way in hell they are building an EV wrangler that is anything like the wrangler we know today.

OP
OP
doublethebass

doublethebass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)