Sponsored

2 Door Drivers only: Any disadvantages to having the Alpine Sound System

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Wife and I are looking at buying our next Jeep (a 2 door Sport S). Anybody have any regrets in buying the Alpine sound system? Does it interfere with any limited Cargo Space you get in a 2 door? Are there any issues with the 2 Door and Alpine Sound System I should be aware of?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@631_Islander

I have a 2018 JL, Rubi, 2 dr. with 42,000+ miles on it. Has the 8.4 / Alpine..

No problems .... DO go for the 8.4/ Alpine or you will regret you did not so so..

I run with the rear seat out. Done so since day 1. With the 2 dr. their is a speaker housed, dead center , rear floor area. It has a screen over it that is very stout.

I travel lots and carry totes and such back there... I just place shipping pads right over the rear speaker grill to protect it so to speak.. The grill handles the weight and even with shipping pads and totes over it the speaker still does what it needs to do just fine.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I love mine. And you can remove the sub is you really need to

Egralia

First Name
Emerson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys
The only problem I have is the sound bar rattles when hard top is removed when bass hits hard.

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
From an audiophile perspective, the Alpine system is rather lacking given the cost. For about the same money or maybe slightly more, depending on preference, you can get a way better aftermarket system. Plenty of threads on alternatives in this forum. Of course if you'd rather keep things stock, the Alpine system is a significant improvement over the base. Having driven around with both, I don't know how people live with the base system. It's embarrassingly bad by comparison and quite frankly, was making me angry at how crap the sound was. I'd have rather popped in my headphones and listened to my phone.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
No regrets. Doesnā€™t interfere with cargo at all. Put whatever you need to on top of the sub. The 7ā€ and lower head units have older UConnect versions and people have nothing but trouble with them... just search the forum for 7ā€ or 5ā€.

Aftermarket has some fairly big trade offs. Depending on which solution you choose, you will lose one or more of: factory USB ports, backup camera, tactile climate controls, Sirius/XM, GPS, factory microphone, steering wheel controls, etc. Losing any one of those is not an acceptable trade off to me.

Second, itā€™s a Wrangler. Audiophiles cannot possibly tell any difference at 70 MPH with the top down and doors off. Even all buttoned up these are bumpy, squeaky, rattly vehicles.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
I wouldn't get it in a two door.

I believe getting the alpine package fills the floor cubby, and having that secure storage that I can lock the tailgate on is very valuable to me having a soft top.

I've also heard from people who have it that stuff falling down into the floor subwoofer is hard to get out and rattles .

LennyF

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon - Ordered a 2021 JL Rubi - 4H Auto

I believe getting the alpine package fills the floor cubby, and having that secure storage that I can lock the tailgate on is very valuable to me having a soft top.

I've also heard from people who have it that stuff falling down into the floor subwoofer is hard to get out and rattles .

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I gotta have bass somewhere, im not sure about aftermarket subs but they would also be in the way if not in the floor. Like other 2 door owners I also removed the rear seat and use a full rear cargo mat made for the rear seat delete. This not only creates more space for stuff but also covers the speaker from damage and mess getting inside. The sound is the same and there is no vibrations.

Finally that little speaker cubby is so small I don't think it could hold all my recovery gear and tools that I carry. So I'm going to have to carry and secure bags no matter what, when the top comes off. I also move these items to under the back of the front seats in that area where the rear floors mats. This photo shows my setup with the bags on top of the cargo mat. So much space for empty nesters like us šŸ‘

Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Drivers only: Any disadvantages to having the Alpine Sound System IMG_20210307_013217_627

LennyF

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon - Ordered a 2021 JL Rubi - 4H Auto
Very true about "stuff" falling into the bass speaker. It happened to me once so I removed the "stuff" and covered the floor speaker with 2 layers of black ground cloth - Keeps out all the grit but does not interfere with the sound. Works perfectly!! - 2020 JL Rubicon - 2021 on Order with Full-Time 4WD Auto

Sponsored

First Name
Giovanni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JK, 2021 JL Sport S, 2013 Rubicon JKU
I have it my 2 door JK (which my daughter now has) and my 2 door JL that I ordered. It is very nessecary for sound quality with the top down and I really like how they install it as the only way I have found to have an aftermarket take up less space it to get it installed under the seats which in turn makes it much easier to steal. My two cents.

Also, I'm willing to sacrifice a little sound quality (since it's an open air car so how good will it really be) for the benefit of it being under warranty.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I disagree. I have a 2dr and the system is a must have. Nothing will fall in the sub. If it does, the cover is easily taken off. And, itā€™s water proof.

OP
OP
631_Islander

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Iā€™m only posting because I have a 4 door and the titles says 2 door only.

Sorry, not sorry.... šŸ˜
Join the club. I currently have a 4 door. We are now looking into a second Jeep; this time a 2 door. Wife likes driving small vehicles and she will be getting out of an 09 Civic Sedan. Despite being a 2 door, the Wrangler surprisingly still has a little more rear legroom and a slightly better cargo capacity with even the rear two seats not removed. Shows how small the trunk in that Civic was if more than anything else to me.

I tried to talk her into a four door because we also have a 3 year old daughter and are planning on a second kid. she straight up refused. Said she wants to drive a ā€œreal jeepā€ and not an ā€œSUVā€. She drove that Civic Sedan for too long and finds driving anything bigger more difficult.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Join the club. I currently have a 4 door. We are now looking into a second Jeep; this time a 2 door. Wife likes driving small vehicles and she will be getting out of an 09 Civic Sedan. Despite being a 2 door, the Wrangler surprisingly still has a little more rear legroom and a slightly better cargo capacity with even the rear two seats not removed. Shows how small the trunk in that Civic was if more than anything else to me.

I tried to talk her into a four door because we also have a 3 year old daughter and are planning on a second kid. she straight up refused. Said she wants to drive a ā€œreal jeepā€ and not an ā€œSUVā€. She drove that Civic Sedan for too long and finds driving anything bigger more difficult.
Sheā€™s a keeper. šŸ˜Ž
Sponsored