First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
@AnnDee4444 , sorry, I realized there are some posts I don't see because the post # skips for me (meaning I must have person on ignore). I didn't realize you were responding to someone.

ETA: not because of the IFS necessarily, the new Bronco has had issues with larger tires (37") and Ford is now offering a "heavy duty" steering gear with upgraded tie rods.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
@AnnDee4444 , sorry, I realized there are some posts I don't see because the post # skips for me (meaning I must have person on ignore). I didn't realize you were responding to someone.

ETA: not because of the IFS necessarily, the new Bronco has had issues with larger tires (37") and Ford is now offering a "heavy duty" steering gear with upgraded tie rods.
Got it, that makes sense.

it's not like Jeep has the JL's steering figured out either. I've never had the desire for more caster on the test drive...

FWIW It's joe with a zero instead of an O who's post you missed out on.

OP
OP

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Found another 2 dr specific comparison. This time both on 33s. Figured I’d just add it in here:

crazy90'skid

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Silverado RCSB, 2020 JLUR
I hate the back seats of the 2 door bronco and how they don’t fold flat or come out and make a easy flat load surface like the Jeep can, but man the IFS on it sure does seem appealing for a New Englander like me with no real crazy trails around for rock crawling. Don’t get me wrong I love my solid axles for the right application but personally the 2 door bronco seems like a really good option for anyone not crawling super hardcore trails often. I’ve driven an IFS vehicle on 43’s and man that opened my eyes to what a good engineer can do.

Last edited:

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Ok, so what about the stock Bronco's IFS excludes it from 37s?

Assuming a JL with 37s is acceptable, both the Bronco and JL are available with the M210 & M220. The curb weight between them overlaps depending on length/options, and I can assume that Ford implemented some sort of torque limit in 4-Low just like Jeep. I would expect the Bronco's differential to actually be under less load since it's not also holding up the suspension, resisting lateral movement, having the axle tubes twisted in opposite directions while flexing, and just generally higher up and out of harms way.

So is it the axles, knuckles, control arms, or something else I'm not thinking about?
See https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/anyone-think-jeep-will-move-to-ifs-in-2023.77148/

J_Winslow

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Not sure this video is apples to apples. He had a much less experienced driver in the Jeep for most of the video who didn’t disconnect the sway bar for half of it or air down the tires properly.
Any comparison between bronco and jeep will typically have that. Without a massive derp in the jeep the bronco is so outclassed its a joke in most off road applications.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Great video, they are clearly equal.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate

• ... No vehicle ever has had optional IFS. It either is solid axle or ifs period. You mention wrangler ruggedness and IFS in the same line, IFS diminishes the ruggedness period. Look at the broncos and tie rod failures, CV failures, etc. I think you have the last sentence flip flopped in my experience. IFS gives marginally better on road performance, does nothing for safety, and significantly hinders off-road capability. Not only is suspension travel massively limited, it gets worse when lifted. Short of a true long travel IFS like a raptor or trx, it just doesn’t flex. In order to package that kind of travel in to ifs with arms mounted outside the frame rails you end up with a huge/ wide track width vehicle like the trx or raptor which further hinders off-road performance everywhere but the wide open desert. IFS will always be weaker than a solid axle and have more cost and complexity in lifting/modifying. The bronco is just a 4runner in a different dress. It drives, handles, and wheels exactly like one. The sway bar disco and front locker help, just like every built 4Runner for the last ~35years, but they still don’t flex, they still eat tie rod ends, and they still can’t take the abuse a solid axle can. If you want IFS and want to stick with a Jeep, get a compass, renegade, Cherokee, grand Cherokee, or wagoneer. Still plenty of options if you want a car like ride that can still go off road.

As for SFA being better for off road is simply due to articulation and strength under his tension is valid for a particular type of off roading and that's rock crawling and extreme flex.
  • The first false assumption you made is that a solid axle gives you a marginal increase in capability. It gives you a significant increase in capability as even greater potential capability with easy modifications. You can dramatically change your Jeep in a driveway with simple tools.

You can modify IFS, but it is much more complicated and you'd be challenged to match even a stock Jeep's ability to articulate and keep all 4 tires on the ground.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Some guys are Ford guys-they WILL buy a Bronco; some guys are Jeep guys, they WILL a Jeep; other folks are attracted to whatever is new ans shiny, they may buy either one. In the final analysis IF your rig meets Your need/wants, isn’t that all that really matters. FWIW, I’m a Scout guy, I’d still be driving IH’s if they still made them😏. I converted to Jeeps after my last (1980 model) Scout was worn down😊. By then Jeeps had grown real doors which helped ease the pain. Two new TJ’s followed👍

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
...I’m a Scout guy, I’d still be driving IH’s if they still made them😏.
Have you seen any pictures of the new Bronco rebadged as a Scout? Few months back I was scouting for some Scout pics on the internets having thought that the new Bronco looked more like an IH than the old Bronco. Appeared that someone already thought of that. Still a Ford underneath.

international-scout-meets-2021-ford-bronco-in-this-fan-rendering-1038x576.jpg

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Have you seen any pictures of the new Bronco rebadged as a Scout? Few months back I was scouting for some Scout pics on the internets having thought that the new Bronco looked more like an IH than the old Bronco. Appeared that someone already thought of that. Still a Ford underneath.

international-scout-meets-2021-ford-bronco-in-this-fan-rendering-1038x576.jpg
And that’s the problem, it’s a Furd..😏. Seriously, looks cool. I really miss the old haybinders. Basic, incredibly tough machines. Slow as mud but went literally everywhere in the two I owned. 198 cu in 4cyl. Loved ‘em😊

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician

Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Bronco Sasquatch vs 2 Door JL Rubicon with 35s international-scout-meets-2021-ford-bronco-in-this-fan-rendering-1038x576
That's a look I really like, I've driven around in Scouts many years ago, and liked them. I'm not the only one that think the 2 door has International styling cues.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
That's a look I really like, I've driven around in Scouts many years ago, and liked them. I'm not the only one that think the 2 door has International styling cues.
I see soooooo many people say the Bronco looks more like an old Scout. I look at both the old Broncos and Scouts and can barely tell the difference....

Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Bronco Sasquatch vs 2 Door JL Rubicon with 35s 1655846971812
Sponsored