2 Door Auto or Manual???

DirtyDina

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Anyone have any feedback on the Auto or Manual specific to the two door models? I realize it’s personal preference but I’m sure it probably feels slightly different than the JLU.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I love my 2 door manual, but am not sure I understand your question. The transmission is not likely to feel any different in a 2 door than in a 4 door, but the 2 door is lighter with a shorter wheelbase so the driving experience will be different (better!) than in the short bus.

For me, personally, manual is the only way to order a Wrangler 2 or 4 door...

OP
OP

DirtyDina

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
I love my 2 door manual, but am not sure I understand your question. The transmission is not likely to feel any different in a 2 door than in a 4 door, but the 2 door is lighter with a shorter wheelbase so the driving experience will be different (better!) than in the short bus.

For me, personally, manual is the only way to order a Wrangler 2 or 4 door...
No that was exactly the feedback I wasn’t looking for.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Depends on your intended use.

If you're doing mostly on road driving, a manual is fun. It used to have a big gearing advantage over the JK with the 4 speed autos, but now that the JL comes with an 8 speed that point is moot.

I had to ride my clutch a lot more than I wanted to with my manual off road. Crawling over steep obstacles from a dead stop is tricky without the 4:1 t-case. Also, you can not open the clutch when the trans is submerged, or you'll contaminate the friction surfaces and cause slip. When I got stuck in swampy muck or in water, I let the Jeep idle in gear until I could hook up a strap, or I just shut it off in gear (you can restart without depressing the clutch if you are in low range). With that in mind, you had to plan gear selection BEFORE entering muck. You are committed to whatever you entered with.

The manual is a lot more fun, but the auto is much less technical to drive off road.

Another thing to think about, is the clutch assembly isn't covered under the warranty. I had the throw out bearing start to make a bunch of noise around 38,000mi. Jeep considered the clutch, clutch pressure plate, flywheel, and throw out bearing "wear items" and refused to cover it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DirtyDina

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Depends on your intended use.

If you're doing mostly on road driving, a manual is fun. It used to have a big gearing advantage over the JK with the 4 speed autos, but now that the JL comes with an 8 speed that point is moot.

I had to ride my clutch a lot more than I wanted to with my manual off road. Crawling over steep obstacles from a dead stop is tricky without the 4:1 t-case. Also, you can not open the clutch when the trans is submerged, or you'll contaminate the friction surfaces and cause slip. When I got stuck in swampy muck or in water, I let the Jeep idle in gear until I could hook up a strap, or I just shut it off in gear (you can restart without depressing the clutch if you are in low range). With that in mind, you had to plan gear selection BEFORE entering muck. You are committed to whatever you entered with.

The manual is a lot more fun, but the auto is much less technical to drive off road.

Another thing to think about, is the clutch assembly isn't covered under the warranty. I had the throw out bearing start to make a bunch of noise around 38,000mi. Jeep considered the clutch, clutch pressure plate, flywheel, and throw out bearing "wear items" and refused to cover it.

Great points. Thanks, wouldn’t have thought those wouldn’t be covered. Appreciate the feedback.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I have the 8spd in my RAM and it's priceless, but-

I wanted the NEW 6spd manual in my 2dr jeep--it's really smooth and solid !

W.E.

JIMBO

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Well, don't own it yet (long story), drove both, and personally, I'd get a Manual

Sure, I found the clutch abrupt, but my Audi catches low, so it's more I gotta get use to it if anything

Sponsored

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
A manual would be fun...but I went with automatic for the wife to be able to drive if necessary more than anything.

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I'm about to make a bold statement...the manual transmission in the jeep is better than any other manual tranny on the market right now....

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
For a tall diver base sport manual window crank catches your leg, even without it my leg and the door and the clutch was a bit too tight.
I enjoy manual at times, but today's city traffic and distractions + my leg room issue made the auto the best choice for me.

They are both really good imho in the JL, its a really good auto, it feels really smooth and responsive
Sponsored