2.5 or 3.5 lift with 37's?

Tonytatt

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I'm still undecided on a 2.5 or 3.5 inch lift (I'll be going Metalcloak) with my 37's or 38's. Does anyone have pictures so I can compare? Some pictures I see show plenty of room with a 2.5.
I did a 3.5 with 37’s.

13D38B33-E583-48C7-AE28-4B6ECAF023B6.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
gbr

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I posted pics earlier in this thread of 37s on 2.5 Evo overland enforcer stage 4. Thought I’d add here to say that I’ve learned recently, per Evo, that moving to 3.5 inch would require: “Springs, bumpstop extensions, swaybar endlinks, brakelines, shocks”

I had very mistakenly thought it was primarily just the coils. I’m new to this, so probably a rookie assumption on my part.

For the trails near me in northern Virginia - like flagpole and peters mill - the 2.5 on 37s is plenty capable. I haven’t yet encountered a thing where I’ve felt limited bc I wasn’t flexy enough. However, I do rub at the rears very slightly. I couldn’t care less, it’s so very insignificant. But I want to try more spots like Chaos in West Virginia and Rausch creek in PA where there are more interesting obstacles. I presume that more flex would probably be advantageous in those areas.

But this Jeep spends the very large percentage of its time on road, and my thoughts of possibly needing more flex have never been proven out.

I think the 2.5 looks well balanced and proportional. More importantly, and I admit that i have no large range of experience to make objective comparisons, but it handles phenomenally on road for running 37s. I also have little kids that manage the climb with no problems.

All this to say - I think I’m happy with the 2.5 and the compromises are good for me. But go 3.5 if you wanna be as flexy as possible.

Depending on how things go, I imagine putting long arms and coil overs in several years . But I’m super happy with where I am now. Then an LS engine. My goal is to obliterate my warranty.

Sponsored

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Anyone know what lift the Wayout is running?

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
2019 JLU Moab
@fueloffroad Beast 17x9 -12
@nittotire Ridge Grappler 37 x 12.50
@rock_krawler 3.5” Adventure Series

Jeep - Stage 1 - 1.jpg

Jeep - Stage 1 - 2.jpg

Jeep - Stage 1 - 3.jpg

Jeep - Stage 1 - 4.jpg

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I posted pics earlier in this thread of 37s on 2.5 Evo overland enforcer stage 4. Thought I’d add here to say that I’ve learned recently, per Evo, that moving to 3.5 inch would require: “Springs, bumpstop extensions, swaybar endlinks, brakelines, shocks”

I had very mistakenly thought it was primarily just the coils. I’m new to this, so probably a rookie assumption on my part.

For the trails near me in northern Virginia - like flagpole and peters mill - the 2.5 on 37s is plenty capable. I haven’t yet encountered a thing where I’ve felt limited bc I wasn’t flexy enough. However, I do rub at the rears very slightly. I couldn’t care less, it’s so very insignificant. But I want to try more spots like Chaos in West Virginia and Rausch creek in PA where there are more interesting obstacles. I presume that more flex would probably be advantageous in those areas.

But this Jeep spends the very large percentage of its time on road, and my thoughts of possibly needing more flex have never been proven out.

I think the 2.5 looks well balanced and proportional. More importantly, and I admit that i have no large range of experience to make objective comparisons, but it handles phenomenally on road for running 37s. I also have little kids that manage the climb with no problems.

All this to say - I think I’m happy with the 2.5 and the compromises are good for me. But go 3.5 if you wanna be as flexy as possible.

Depending on how things go, I imagine putting long arms and coil overs in several years . But I’m super happy with where I am now. Then an LS engine. My goal is to obliterate my warranty.
All the parts they said you’ll need you really need for a 2.5” except the brake lines too. That said, any quality lift comes with everything. These JLs don’t require brake lines until you get much bigger. 3.5 and down there’s plenty of room to really flex them out without getting anywhere close to them getting tight.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
All the parts they said you’ll need you really need for a 2.5” except the brake lines too. That said, any quality lift comes with everything. These JLs don’t require brake lines until you get much bigger. 3.5 and down there’s plenty of room to really flex them out without getting anywhere close to them getting tight.
yep, I’m tracking. My point was that I had thought that many of those parts which indeed came with the 2.5 stage 4 EVO enforcer overland plus lift kit (the kit I have installed), could be re-used if I were to transition to 3.5 inch lift. Per EVO, those parts are not the same between the 2.5 and 3.5. Point being, it is not an inexpensive proposition. I had wrongly assumed that the difference between a 2.5 kit and 3.5 was mostly just the coils.

Sponsored

DavidNJ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Jeep yet
This was a big question I had earlier today with a vendor who indicated they run 38x13.5 on 2.5" lift with <4" backspace with OE Rubicon fenders. On a JK he said it would need the 3.5" lift.

DavidNJ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Jeep yet

Would an increase in bump stop height fix the rub?

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
yep, I’m tracking. My point was that I had thought that many of those parts which indeed came with the 2.5 stage 4 EVO enforcer overland plus lift kit (the kit I have installed), could be re-used if I were to transition to 3.5 inch lift. Per EVO, those parts are not the same between the 2.5 and 3.5. Point being, it is not an inexpensive proposition. I had wrongly assumed that the difference between a 2.5 kit and 3.5 was mostly just the coils.
You don't need shocks - they're the same for both sized kits. You don't need brake lines either. I have their 3.5 kit, and there's no need for the front brake line extension, assuming you cut off the bracket that used to bolt to the lower control arm. You will need to add a rear track bar bracket, but that's no big deal.

I wouldn't worry too much. Likely, you'll primarily need new springs and bumps stop extensions - also no big deal.

Refer to the instructions on this link, and it'll show you all the parts that are common or different between the different lift kits.
http://www.evomfg.com/technical-doc...55.pdf?_route_=technical-docs/EVO-3014S4K.pdf

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
You don't need shocks - they're the same for both sized kits. You don't need brake lines either. I have their 3.5 kit, and there's no need for the front brake line extension, assuming you cut off the bracket that used to bolt to the lower control arm. You will need to add a rear track bar bracket, but that's no big deal.

I wouldn't worry too much. Likely, you'll primarily need new springs and bumps stop extensions - also no big deal.

Refer to the instructions on this link, and it'll show you all the parts that are common or different between the different lift kits.
http://www.evomfg.com/technical-doc...55.pdf?_route_=technical-docs/EVO-3014S4K.pdf
Thanks. I went back and forth with Evo on that very point. They said different shocks are used between the kits. I’ll look at the link. Thanks again ..

DavidNJ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Jeep yet
2019 JLU Moab
@fueloffroad Beast 17x9 -12
@nittotire Ridge Grappler 37 x 12.50
@rock_krawler 3.5” Adventure Series

Jeep - Stage 1 - 1.jpg
Thanks for including the wheel offset. It is really needed to understand what is in the pictures.
Sponsored