2.5" lift with 0 offset 17x9 - UPDATE - AEV lift question

dooms

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, 2021 JLU
Have a 2021 Willys Sport 4-door on the way. Since I only have experience with JK's - wanted a sanity check on my choice of lift and wheels, since I actually already have everything other than the lift now sitting in my garage waiting.

Decided to go with a 2.5" JKS lift with HD springs (since I have bumpers, winch and sliders going on). JKS - on their website, indicates that a 5" backspacing is recommended / verified on all their kits with 9" wheels. The wheels I went with are 17x9 Icon Alloy 171 with 0 offset (which is 5" BS from my calculation).

Has anyone used a similar combo on a sport without any interference with LCA's or Links? I realize that I went with exactly what JKS recommends and should be comfortable with that, but searching online seems to indicate its more common for folks to get offsets of -6 to -12 for more poke, hence the reason I just wanted a sanity check. I think the 0 offset is about where I would like with regards to the fenders, however I dont have an issue with them poking further. My JK setup extends considerably further out. I've already calculated the difference to OEM and the 0 offset would be about 1/2" further away from the suspension and nearly 3" further out from the fender.

Appreciate the thoughts/suggestions. Thanks!

UPDATE: (I added a reply then realized I should have just updated here, sorry!)

after some additional research and the fact that JKS is still backordered on some parts for the lift I ordered, I decided to cancel and go with an AEV Dual Sport RT 2.5 kit. I also added a JKS adjustable trackbar. I do like JKS but didnt want to continue to wait without an estimated ETA since my jeep is built and due to ship soon.

The AEV lift was in stock and already shipped. I do have a question though. From what I have seen - the AEV 2.5 seems to have more leeway with regard to backspacing. I found several folks using AEV wheels that have 5.7" of BS with at 2.5 lift that, apparently, are not having issues.

I was ready to order new wheels with 4.5" of backspace and either eat the cost of the wheels I already purchased (5" backspace) or try to sell them, but now I'm thinking they may work. Is anyone with an AEV 2.5 lift on a JLU Sport running a 17x9, 5" BS with 35x12.50 without rubbing issues on the endlinks or control arms? I know there may be some issues with the splash guards, but not concerned about that. Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
What size tires are you planning on running? Can you post a link to the specific lift you ordered?
Edit: I checked out their 2.5 inch lifts and all of them have a minimum 5 inch back spacing for wheels and a maximum 35x12.5 tire. I would expect you will not have any clearance issues unless you plan on running a wider tire.
As for other members running a -6 or -12, it may just be a preference for more “poke” but a lot of lift manufacturers specify a wheel with minimum 4.5 backspace for clearance due to how they design the front lower control arms.

Last edited:
OP
OP

dooms

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, 2021 JLU
What size tires are you planning on running? Can you post a link to the specific lift you ordered?
Edit: I checked out their 2.5 inch lifts and all of them have a minimum 5 inch back spacing for wheels and a maximum 35x12.5 tire. I would expect you will not have any clearance issues unless you plan on running a wider tire.
As for other members running a -6 or -12, it may just be a preference for more “poke” but a lot of lift manufacturers specify a wheel with minimum 4.5 backspace for clearance due to how they design the front lower control arms.
I will be running 35x12.50 tires. The kit I am getting uses the factory control arms with Geo correction / drop brackets. The kit is the J-Kontrol with drop brackets, 2.5" with HD springs.

Last edited:
OP
OP

dooms

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, 2021 JLU
UPDATE - after some additional research and the fact that JKS is still backordered on some parts for the lift I ordered, I decided to cancel and go with an AEV Dual Sport RT 2.5 kit. I also added a JKS adjustable trackbar. I do like JKS but didnt want to continue to wait without an estimated ETA since my jeep is built and due to ship soon.

The AEV lift was in stock and already shipped. I do have a question though. From what I have seen - the AEV 2.5 seems to have more leeway with regard to backspacing. I found several folks using AEV wheels that have 5.7" of BS with at 2.5 lift that, apparently, are not having issues.

I was ready to order new wheels with 4.5" of backspace and either eat the cost of the wheels I already purchased (5" backspace) or try to sell them, but now I'm thinking they may work. Is anyone with an AEV 2.5 lift on a JLU Sport running a 17x9, 5" BS with 35x12.50 without rubbing issues on the endlinks or control arms? I know there may be some issues with the splash guards, but not concerned about that. Thanks!

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
I am running the AEV 2.5 Dualsport lift on my 2018 JLU Sport along with 20x9+1 wheels and 35x12.5 tires with no rubbing. I have no rubbing on any of the components. (Links below for those fully flexed with the kit).
You made a good choice to add the adjustable front track bar. My front axle was off by 3/4 of an inch. I have a soft top with plastic bumper (very light) and got every bit of 3.5 inches of lift from the AEV lift. The suspension is meant to handle heavy loads but it seems that’s exactly what you want.
Here are a couple threads specific to the AEV lift:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...l-sport-lift-kit-with-35s-any-concerns.48071/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/aev-2-5.28171/

Sponsored

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Thinking you would be ok running 37” with AEV lift and 5” BS wheels. AEV says it will work with 5.7” wheels.

OP
OP

dooms

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, 2021 JLU
Appreciate the replies! Feel better about the wheels now.

Hucke_250 - do you by chance have a pic to show how much poke your tires have at the fenders? Thanks!

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Color match fenders has AEV lift.
The side x side pic. Black fender AEV Savegre ll wheels. Color match fender has Teraflex 4.75 BS.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.5" lift with 0 offset 17x9 - UPDATE - AEV lift question 0D5EFE99-238C-4ED7-9B2B-C457FB92D6C4

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.5" lift with 0 offset 17x9 - UPDATE - AEV lift question EF71110C-833A-481D-A60B-BB1D600D5FAB

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.5" lift with 0 offset 17x9 - UPDATE - AEV lift question D8EA95B2-B1DF-43AF-B512-D91ACE4508F6

Last edited:

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Appreciate the replies! Feel better about the wheels now.

Hucke_250 - do you by chance have a pic to show how much poke your tires have at the fenders? Thanks!
They measure exactly 2.5 inches from the fenders.

FDEE7004-DDB6-46C6-9485-E77C4386252F.jpeg

AD87DB1F-F437-4BCD-83D3-15C2F1815A9D.jpeg

Sponsored

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

I'm running the aev lift with 0 offset method wheels on 37's with zero rub anywhere. Been super happy with the setup.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.5" lift with 0 offset 17x9 - UPDATE - AEV lift question PXL_20210720_235415856
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.5" lift with 0 offset 17x9 - UPDATE - AEV lift question download_20210606_151204

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
Just reading this thread, trying to educate myself on lifts and all the variables etc etc. I never even considered wheel offset/backspace.

Im also looking at the JKS lifts, this one - https://jksmfg.com/collections/wran...cts/2-5-lift-kit-j-konnect-wrangler-jl-4-door

tire specs do indicate backspace of 5", ...I have 17x9 with -12 offset and 4.53 backspace, ...so my current wheels with this lift would need additional 'modifications'? Seem very limiting if those are the requirements.

Everytime I think I finally 'get it', I learn about something else I need to take into consideration.

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Just reading this thread, trying to educate myself on lifts and all the variables etc etc. I never even considered wheel offset/backspace.

Im also looking at the JKS lifts, this one - https://jksmfg.com/collections/wran...cts/2-5-lift-kit-j-konnect-wrangler-jl-4-door

tire specs do indicate backspace of 5", ...I have 17x9 with -12 offset and 4.53 backspace, ...so my current wheels with this lift would need additional 'modifications'? Seem very limiting if those are the requirements.

Everytime I think I finally 'get it', I learn about something else I need to take into consideration.
You will be fine with that backspace. The JKS lift requires a minimum of 5" backspace. The 4.53 inches of backspace of your current wheels gives you an extra .47 inches of clearance.

OP
OP

dooms

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, 2021 JLU

Just make sure to check lead times. I had to go with a different kit as it was approaching a month on order with no ETA (I went with the J-Kontrol). Also - double check the installation instructions. I found an inconsistency in what their website said (indicated that 17x9, 5" BS was fine) and what the pdf instructions for the kit said (indicated that a 17x8 with 4.5"-5" would result in some rubbing). I contacted JKS in chat and they again indicated that 4.5" - 5" BS would rub, though only slightly at articulation.

With that said, you are in a better position than I was since you are at 4.5" BS. I will also say that I do like JKS stuff. My current trackbar on my 2014 is a JKS and I even went with a JKS trackbar with the kit I switched to.

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
Just make sure to check lead times. I had to go with a different kit as it was approaching a month on order with no ETA (I went with the J-Kontrol). Also - double check the installation instructions. I found an inconsistency in what their website said (indicated that 17x9, 5" BS was fine) and what the pdf instructions for the kit said (indicated that a 17x8 with 4.5"-5" would result in some rubbing). I contacted JKS in chat and they again indicated that 4.5" - 5" BS would rub, though only slightly at articulation.

With that said, you are in a better position than I was since you are at 4.5" BS. I will also say that I do like JKS stuff. My current trackbar on my 2014 is a JKS and I even went with a JKS trackbar with the kit I switched to.
Thanks for the info. I'm not too concerned about lead time unless it's more than 90 days. I will also have this done by local 4x4 shop. Did they tell you what would rub? If a fender is rubbing slightly at articulation I could prob live with that. If it would rub on suspension parts, that I don't think would be acceptable.
Sponsored