2.5" lift- What do I need to do?

troubledog

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon diesel
No rubbing, as long as you stick with 4.5” or less backspace you’ll clear the lcas when turning full lock.
Key item there on the 4.5” backspace wheels. it seems lots of wheels out there are 4.75” bs. MC says they can make 4.75” bs work with their kit but I’m wondering about at full lock and the lcas.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Key item there on the 4.5” backspace wheels. it seems lots of wheels out there are 4.75” bs. MC says they can make 4.75” bs work with their kit but I’m wondering about at full lock and the lcas.
Yeah, MC arms are bent inward resembling oem arms where RK arms are bent up for ground clearance so I think you could get away with 4.75 with MC. This is based on a 37 or smaller tire. 38-39s might barely hit, but you can turn out the turn stops a little, if needed.

hijinx

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon Recon
@Roky

You seem to be the person to go to with questions!

Basically, I’m now looking at the MC game changer 3.5” kit with drive shaft. Does that kit include all I need for the lift?

Or would I need anything extra to reinforce or upgrade to make sure nothing is broken later? I’m working with a 20 JLUR 2.0L if it helps. Only thing modded so far is the front bumper and winch/etc.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@Roky

You seem to be the person to go to with questions!

Basically, I’m now looking at the MC game changer 3.5” kit with drive shaft. Does that kit include all I need for the lift?

Or would I need anything extra to reinforce or upgrade to make sure nothing is broken later? I’m working with a 20 JLUR 2.0L if it helps. Only thing modded so far is the front bumper and winch/etc.
Hi Rachel ,........The MC will have everything needed. It is a complete kit and imho, one of the top tier lift companies on the market. Saying this pains me a little being I’m a Rock Krawler guy..;).........😁.

I’m assuming your looking at running 37s . If so, the next things to start saving money for to upgrade is tie rod, drag link and steering stabilizer. I also recommend relocating the stabilizer if you’re gonna be wheeling it.

The time table on these extra parts depends on on how you use your rig.

I found over the years that it’s best to buy once / cry once (actually cry a lot). Lol.

Welcome to the insanity... 🤪 ... misery truly does love company ...........:)

hijinx

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon Recon
Hi Rachel ,........The MC will have everything needed. It is a complete kit and imho, one of the top tier lift companies on the market. Saying this pains me a little being I’m a Rock Krawler guy..;).........😁.

I’m assuming your looking at running 37s . If so, the next things to start saving money for to upgrade is tie rod, drag link and steering stabilizer. I also recommend relocating the stabilizer if you’re gonna be wheeling it.

The time table on these extra parts depends on on how you use your rig.

I found over the years that it’s best to buy once / cry once (actually cry a lot). Lol.

Welcome to the insanity... 🤪 ... misery truly does love company ...........:)
You are a LITERAL god! (Goddess? Lol idk your gender lol) I was looking at RK but for what I want vs how much I’d use it, I can’t justify that pricing. But the RK does look so so soooo nice! I’m in the Midwest/northeast so it’s more mud/wood for me! I figured MC was the best route for that.

I’m a weekend warrior, or monthly warrior depending on events and my work haha. So it’ll be used MAJORITY on pavement (which pains me to say, and at least for the time being). It’s done pretty amazing on trails as is, some scrapes on the underside though heh.

I will certainly be on the lookout for those parts maybe around Black Friday then! I rather get them ASAP because 1) I’d forget 🙄 and 2) I don’t want to ruin anything prematurely. She’s gonna be my baby until she stops running, and I can’t fix her. That’s why I purchased new!

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You are a LITERAL god! (Goddess? Lol idk your gender lol) I was looking at RK but for what I want vs how much I’d use it, I can’t justify that pricing. But the RK does look so so soooo nice! I’m in the Midwest/northeast so it’s more mud/wood for me! I figured MC was the best route for that.

I’m a weekend warrior, or monthly warrior depending on events and my work haha. So it’ll be used MAJORITY on pavement (which pains me to say, and at least for the time being). It’s done pretty amazing on trails as is, some scrapes on the underside though heh.

I will certainly be on the lookout for those parts maybe around Black Friday then! I rather get them ASAP because 1) I’d forget 🙄 and 2) I don’t want to ruin anything prematurely. She’s gonna be my baby until she stops running, and I can’t fix her. That’s why I purchased new!
:blush:.........😂..... yeah, I’m an old man, lol.

Yeah......I suggest going with a top tier lift for sure, because if you’re already getting out there off road, it 99.9 percent of the time escalates, lol.. I’ve never seen or heard of anyone that’s gone off-roading come back and say “ that was fun , but I don’t think I’ll do that anymore “.......🤣

As long as you get the lift installed right and your caster set at 6 or above degrees and some good shocks, then the on road ride will be as good or better than it is right now.....:)

hijinx

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon Recon
:blush:.........😂..... yeah, I’m an old man, lol.

Yeah......I suggest going with a top tier lift for sure, because if you’re already getting out there off road, it 99.9 percent of the time escalates, lol.. I’ve never seen or heard of anyone that’s gone off-roading come back and say “ that was fun , but I don’t think I’ll do that anymore “.......🤣

As long as you get the lift installed right and your caster set at 6 or above degrees and some good shocks, then the on road ride will be as good or better than it is right now.....:)
Awesome! Excited to hear this. My hubs rides passenger and we take her on trips so he wants some on road comfort lol. Me I don’t care lol but it’s good to have I know!

I died at the “that was fun but don’t think I’ll do it anymore” lol I’m already trying to plan MOAB trips and stuff for the coming years! I’m 30 and have been looking at jeeps since fifth grade so I’m beyond excited at all I can do now! I want to do it all!!

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
My advice: get familiar with the big sale dates and deals from the places you're looking to buy. That's what I did 2 years ago. I built my Jeep completely on sales. Between the discounts and the "free shipping" deals, I probably save myself $500 (at least). For me: I wanted: Motobilt bumper and diffs, Quadratec aluminum skids, and a Warn Winch.
IIRC, my sales worked out as follows:
Quadratec(Engine skid, Oil pan, Fuel tank skid): Free shipping (I believe there was a discount for being over $200, might have been tax time)
Motobilt (Bumper and diffs): 20% off + free shipping (Memorial day weekend)
Warn (VR-10 Winch): Bought from the best vendor I could find on Amazon Prime day.
Usually, most vendors will do 10-20% and/or free shipping: April (tax time), May (Memorial day), July (July 4th, Amazon Prime day), September (Labor day/ Back to School), November (Black Friday), December (XMas).
Point is, save your money, and wait it out. MAke sure you're on the email lists and following the vendors you're looking at on your Social medias. It's not hard, you just have to plan ahead a little bit and be patient.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
No rubbing, as long as you stick with 4.5” or less backspace you’ll clear the lcas when turning full lock.
hey @Roky - Starting to gear up to order tires/ wheels. Really liking/ leaning toward the DT-1's. Can you reuse the factory lug nuts or do you need new ones?

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
hey @Roky - Starting to gear up to order tires/ wheels. Really liking/ leaning toward the DT-1's. Can you reuse the factory lug nuts or do you need new ones?
Hi Scott...... I’m using a 6 spline black lug, it comes with a thin walled socket key which is what you need. The holes are pretty narrow. I’m not sure if factory lugs will work or not. To be honest I never even tried them, because I already knew what I wanted to use. Sorry I’m not much help on this one....:)

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hi Scott...... I’m using a 6 spline black lug, it comes with a thin walled socket key which is what you need. The holes are pretty narrow. I’m not sure if factory lugs will work or not. To be honest I never even tried them, because I already knew what I wanted to use. Sorry I’m not much help on this one....:)
no worries! I like the black spline drive as well and would prefer them; but I'm also trying to avoid spending unnecessary money and reuse whatever I can. Thanks!

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Actually- here's another fun question @Roky :
I've never had a Jeep with TPMS before.
Say I buy my wheels on eBay, and order my tires from Discount Tire Direct.
How do I get them mounted with TPMS sensors at a tire shop? Do i have to buy another set of those as well if I'm not de-mounting the old ones?

thanks again and sorry to bother.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
no worries! I like the black spline drive as well and would prefer them; but I'm also trying to avoid spending unnecessary money and reuse whatever I can. Thanks!
Understood...... I get it..... if the factory’s don’t work don’t get cheapest ones, the coating will flake off after one or two removals, then they’ll rust..... ask me how I know...:facepalm:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Actually- here's another fun question @Roky :
I've never had a Jeep with TPMS before.
Say I buy my wheels on eBay, and order my tires from Discount Tire Direct.
How do I get them mounted with TPMS sensors at a tire shop? Do i have to buy another set of those as well if I'm not de-mounting the old ones?

thanks again and sorry to bother.
No bother, all good, Yes, unfortunately that’s another 100.00 to add to the list. If you consider the dismount to get them out and remount price for 5 wheels, the 100.00 is probably cheaper. On the up side, it’s a good selling point that they’re in there if you sell your old ones.
Sponsored

Last edited: