2.5 inch lift advice

Dc85

First Name
Daniele
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2018
Just came back from a ride with a new teraflex 2.5 with Fox 2.0 shocks.

I must say that the improvement is clear, however i feel more wind hitting the car...(Can it be the height or i am imagining it?)

i dont have side steps which i think are a must at this point to get in the car in a confy way...

The car looks great with the 34 inch tires for my taste so i am happy with too

i will have to test the new shocks in the desert on hard uneven ground and i will keep you posted

and on a safe side, maybe i should rethink my drifting habits...

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

I must say that the improvement is clear, however i feel more wind hitting the car...(Can it be the height or i am imagining it?)

i dont have side steps which i think are a must at this point to get in the car in a confy way...

i will have to test the new shocks in the desert on hard uneven ground and i will keep you posted

OK, for starters, God just killed two kittens because you called your Jeep a car. You need to stop that... think of the kittens man... the kittens.

The higher the Jeep the more you will feel the wind. Even stock it's like driving a brick with a sail attached to it so when you lift it you amplify everything.

Before you get side steps put some thought into the wheeling you want to do. Some of the side steps out there will kill your clearance you just worked so hard to gain. Check out Ace Engineering's rock rails. We used to run them and they serve as a great step AND killer protection and they are also frame mounted to boot.

Dc85

First Name
Daniele
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2018
OK, for starters, God just killed two kittens because you called your Jeep a car. You need to stop that... think of the kittens man... the kittens.

The higher the Jeep the more you will feel the wind. Even stock it's like driving a brick with a sail attached to it so when you lift it you amplify everything.

Before you get side steps put some thought into the wheeling you want to do. Some of the side steps out there will kill your clearance you just worked so hard to gain. Check out Ace Engineering's rock rails. We used to run them and they serve as a great step AND killer protection and they are also frame mounted to boot.

lol you are sooo right !!! i f Up!!

great advise on the sliders sir... i dont plan rocks but i like to have options!

Afterall i am building the JEEP for world travelling!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
lol you are sooo right !!! i f Up!!

great advise on the sliders sir... i dont plan rocks but i like to have options!

Afterall i am building the JEEP for world travelling!
It's not just rocks. They offer protection in other ways, for instance, I wasn't paying attention and my rear passenger tire slid into a deep hole and the whole Jeep tipped. It slid into the hole and the only thing that kept it from laying over on it's door was the rock rail. We were at such an angle I couldn't even hold the driver door open to get out because it was so skyward. We had to crawl out the passenger window :/

Sponsored

Dc85

First Name
Daniele
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2018
It's not just rocks. They offer protection in other ways, for instance, I wasn't paying attention and my rear passenger tire slid into a deep hole and the whole Jeep tipped. It slid into the hole and the only thing that kept it from laying over on it's door was the rock rail. We were at such an angle I couldn't even hold the driver door open to get out because it was so skyward. We had to crawl out the passenger window :/

oh man ! agreed they are a must! Thank you!

porkchop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / Billet / Teraflex ST2 / Icon Shocks
I'm currently running the ST2 kit. the falcons can be an acquired taste. they handle amazing and are great for rock climbing. however, for everyday driving, they can feel tight. they react to just about everything in the road quickly and can seem stiff at times. I wound up changing the shocks out to Icons. the ride quality was significant. much smoother and they still handle very well. The Falcons seem more of a sport shock so to say. I just needed a better happy medium for everyday driving.

RidgeRider

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I have been running the Teraflex Alpine RT2 2.5" lift with Falcon Fast Adjust Shocks and have been very pleased. I run the shocks on the soft setting most of the time. The highway ride has been as good or better than stock. Interestingly, after putting on a new ARB front bumper and winch plus new LOD heavy duty rear bumper and bigger spare tire, we had to use the spacers on the rear rather than the front to level the rig.

Went with LOD Offroad Destroyer Rock Sliders which have a very nice integrated step and provide extra width for body protection with no loss of clearance or functionality when sliding along a boulder. Put courtesy lights in the step which you can synch with the interior courtesy lights to come on with unlocking the car or opening the door - works great.

porkchop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / Billet / Teraflex ST2 / Icon Shocks
I was running those exact shocks, on the softest setting.
I think they do much better with some weight on them. my rig is a bit on the lighter side. still have the stock plastic bumpers, no winch, no sliders.

scmbr

First Name
Sm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm running the Teraflex ST2 2.5" lift. SP2 2.1 shocks in soft setting. It came with front track bar bracket and I added a rear track bar bracket by teraflex. 35's Factory steel bumpers, a winch, ARB air compressor and an Diabolical slipstream security enclosure. Ride and handling is fine. Maybe a little stiffer than stock, but not severe. and the rake was corrected.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ccrandall88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Thanks! Front JKS control arms are fixed, with an adjustable track bar. The rear got control arm brackets to adjust the placement of the stock rear control arms. It rides perfectly! I had to make concessions due to cost, in a way that wouldn’t affect drivability on or off-road. I also have quick discos.
This is great info, I'm actually leaning a bit towards a 3.5 now. A few follow up questions if you dont mind. Did you have to replace your driveshaft? I've seen on some rubicons a 3.5 lift creates some contact on the drive shaft and that needs to be addressed (specifically on Rubicons, but unsure if that affects non rubicon models. Also, which control arms brackets did you go with for the rear control arms?

OP
OP

Ccrandall88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL

Thanks for the reply! Pics or it didn't happen btw!

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
This is great info, I'm actually leaning a bit towards a 3.5 now. A few follow up questions if you dont mind. Did you have to replace your driveshaft? I've seen on some rubicons a 3.5 lift creates some contact on the drive shaft and that needs to be addressed (specifically on Rubicons, but unsure if that affects non rubicon models. Also, which control arms brackets did you go with for the rear control arms?
My mechanic, who I trust, says that drive shafts and boots are not an issue until you have about 6” of lift on the JL. He told me just to make sure I inspect underneath after wheeling. He is heavily into wheeling and has been for years; I trust him. The control arm brackets came with the JKS kit. By the way, I went with the Fox 2.0 shocks; you can option those when you buy the JKS kit.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
My ride quality was top notch stock, and it’s even better now! And it doesn’t look bad with 33s - so I’m told ;) Also, I’m running the Fox shocks.

1D6F0736-32A4-46AD-BD67-047C5AEE1A85.jpeg

DDA5722A-733B-4602-986B-4AB92037C9F5.jpeg
Hows the ride still on the JKS lift? It hink I may want to go this route. Trying to decide on RK, Clayton or JKS

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Hows the ride still on the JKS lift? It hink I may want to go this route. Trying to decide on RK, Clayton or JKS
I traded that Jeep in for a 2021 Rubicon back in July, which also now has a 2.5” JKS lift kit. It too performs flawlessly.
Sponsored