Sponsored

2.5 inch lift advice

Ccrandall88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Hey everyone! I'm about to order and install a 2.5 lift for my JL sport and wanted some advice as this is my first rodeo with a lift. I'm planning on getting the Teraflex ST/2 lift but instead of using their 2.1 monotube shocks, I plan on going with some Bilstein 5100s. Going with the 5100s because I hear they are slightly softer than the teraflex, they will save me a bit of money, and because I'm doing like 75/25 commuting vs off-roading. I'm also planning on putting a .5 inch spacer on the front because I'm also adding a steel bumper and winch to the front so hoping that will compensate for the weight. If anyone has any opinions or advice I would be really grateful!
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone! I'm about to order and install a 2.5 lift for my JL sport and wanted some advice as this is my first rodeo with a lift. I'm planning on getting the Teraflex ST/2 lift but instead of using their 2.1 monotube shocks, I plan on going with some Bilstein 5100s. Going with the 5100s because I hear they are slightly softer than the teraflex, they will save me a bit of money, and because I'm doing like 75/25 commuting vs off-roading. I'm also planning on putting a .5 inch spacer on the front because I'm also adding a steel bumper and winch to the front so hoping that will compensate for the weight. If anyone has any opinions or advice I would be really grateful!
I don’t think that kit comes with a front adjustable track bar. I would recommend getting one.

Last edited:

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I went with a 3.5” JKS lift. To even out the rake, I put heavy duty springs on the front, standard on the back - and I have an aftermarket heavy front bumper with heavy winch. It leveled the rake perfectly, with no spacers. Good luck!

ccrandall0817

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL sport
I went with a 3.5” JKS lift. To even out the rake, I put heavy duty springs on the front, standard on the back - and I have an aftermarket heavy front bumper with heavy winch. It leveled the rake perfectly, with no spacers. Good luck!
How are you liking that lift/how did it affect your ride quality compared to stock? I had also considered a 3.5 but am only going to run 35s so thought it might be a bit excessive.

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
How are you liking that lift/how did it affect your ride quality compared to stock? I had also considered a 3.5 but am only going to run 35s so thought it might be a bit excessive.
My ride quality was top notch stock, and it’s even better now! And it doesn’t look bad with 33s - so I’m told ;) Also, I’m running the Fox shocks.

1D6F0736-32A4-46AD-BD67-047C5AEE1A85.jpeg

DDA5722A-733B-4602-986B-4AB92037C9F5.jpeg

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Wabujitsu, those are the exact same wheels I have. Been struggling on making a decision about what size 35s, I can put on there without rubbing or changing my wheels. I have a 2.5 Teraflex spacer lift already. What size are those tires, and are the wheels 17/7.5.

Dc85

First Name
Daniele
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2018
I will be installing the teraflex 2.5 inch with fox shocks this coming sunday. Also adding BFG 285 A/T

if you can wait 3/4 days ill tell how that goes!!

OP
OP

Ccrandall88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I will be installing the teraflex 2.5 inch with fox shocks this coming sunday. Also adding BFG 285 A/T

if you can wait 3/4 days ill tell how that goes!!
Wow that would be great! Thank you!

OP
OP

Ccrandall88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
My ride quality was top notch stock, and it’s even better now! And it doesn’t look bad with 33s - so I’m told ;) Also, I’m running the Fox shocks.

1D6F0736-32A4-46AD-BD67-047C5AEE1A85.jpeg

DDA5722A-733B-4602-986B-4AB92037C9F5.jpeg
Wow that does look great. Did you use get some adjustable control arms with it as well?

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Wow that does look great. Did you use get some adjustable control arms with it as well?
Thanks! Front JKS control arms are fixed, with an adjustable track bar. The rear got control arm brackets to adjust the placement of the stock rear control arms. It rides perfectly! I had to make concessions due to cost, in a way that wouldn’t affect drivability on or off-road. I also have quick discos.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Wabujitsu, those are the exact same wheels I have. Been struggling on making a decision about what size 35s, I can put on there without rubbing or changing my wheels. I have a 2.5 Teraflex spacer lift already. What size are those tires, and are the wheels 17/7.5.
Stock wheels are 17x7.5. Tires are P285/70R17 Toyo Open Country AT 2s.

By the way, I know I’m a pariah for saying so, but I like the stock wheels!

I did great before the lift with the Toyos, off-road. I want to get some crazy flex out of them, with this lift. I don’t anticipate going bigger than 35s eventually.

7E0991F5-8447-4398-A3EB-417F4AC7CE18.jpeg

mic.rempel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
@mic.rempel is running the ST2 2.5" Teraflex lift with Falcon 2.1 shocks and might be able to comment.
Happy to share my thoughts! I honestly don't have any issues with the feel of the Falcon 2.1 shocks. Highly recommend at higher speeds too so if you spend lots of time on the freeway you'll be pleased. I didn't opt for an adjustable track bar yet but haven't had any issues with the stock one. Once areas start opening I'll be able to get out to see if I need it for my type of use. Are you planning on doing it yourself?

OP
OP

Ccrandall88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Happy to share my thoughts! I honestly don't have any issues with the feel of the Falcon 2.1 shocks. Highly recommend at higher speeds too so if you spend lots of time on the freeway you'll be pleased. I didn't opt for an adjustable track bar yet but haven't had any issues with the stock one. Once areas start opening I'll be able to get out to see if I need it for my type of use. Are you planning on doing it yourself?
Thanks for the feedback this is super helpful! Yes planning on installing myself (well, with the help of my brother who has experience installing lifts). Good to hear about the track bar, has the steering felt a bit looser or pretty much the same?

mic.rempel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Nice! I did mine myself as well, having two people will make it go much easier.... It seems like I spent most of the time breaking bolts or relearning geometry! Anyway, the steering has felt stock or damn near close to it. I'd honestly have to do a side by side test drive to spot the difference. Keep in mind that my feedback is solely based on on-road driving, haven't truly wheeled it yet so TBD on that.
Sponsored