2.5” or 3.5” lift for 37s?

Shoebox303

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep JLU Rubicon 392
Hey guys - I’m sorry if this has been hashed over a thousand times, but I’m new to this and hoping for some wisdom from the more experienced.

I recently ordered the JKS J-Konnect 3.5” kit for my 2021 JLU Rubicon. I’m starting to wonder if I should have gone with the 2.5” version rather than the 3.5” version. I want a kit that’ll allow 37” tires, but I also want a lower center of gravity. According to the JKS site, both the 2.5” and 3.5” kits allow the same max tire size (37s on the Rubi).

The cost of the kits are identical. And I think the components of the kits are the same except for the springs.

My family and I do a lot of highway miles with a lot of primitive camping and fairly serious off-road stops along the way (think “Fins ‘N’ Things” in Moab, for example). We also travel pretty heavy.

So, I guess I’m looking for some opinions. Basically, what are the pros/cons of each? Does the 2.5” rub on articulation? Is it mostly about breakover ground clearance? Are there things I‘m not considering?

Thanks a lot for the help, guys. I really appreciate it.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.5” or 3.5” lift for 37s? B0AF805B-94A1-4155-853A-ABCAF9F96053
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.5” or 3.5” lift for 37s? 34065BD5-D0A4-4C28-B7C2-4969AB8DE0A6
Sponsored

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Your Rubicon model should be able to accommodate 37" tires both with a 2.5" and 3.5" lift! With our lifts for example we say that our 2.5" kits fit 37's perfectly on a Rubicon model, while our 3.5" kit can actually accommodate up to 39" tires nicely. If you're looking to run 37's with the lowest amount of lift possible and keep your center of gravity down for better on-road manners, I would definitely say a 2.5" lift would be the way to go. If you're looking for more off-road performance and better ground clearance, the 3.5" kit would be your best bet! It's all about the look you're going for and what you plan on doing with the vehicle! Hope this helps :)

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This ^^^...... but if you’re 50/50 on road / off road . Then I would get the 3.5” it will let you do more things as far as carrying weight, ground clearance etc...and to be honest, there’s not that much difference in on-road manners between the two, imho. I’ve driven both heights extensively.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I would figure out how much weight you will be wheeling with.

i.e. will you dump everything at camp and then go wheeling light, or will you be taking everything with you when you wheel.

What are you doing for front & rear bumpers, skid plates, roof rack, etc...

Even if you dump everything at camp, it is real easy to add serious weight to the "base" rig.

Next I would check to see how much lift people ended up seeing with the kit a couple months after install, and how much weight they added.

cheers.

Sponsored

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
The higher the better :). 4" for sure.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Go 3.5” if you do any offroad at all. Actually even if you don’t, go 3.5”.
My 2.5 Evo lift kept me in the bump stops constantly, cleared 37s with some rubbing. A year later I got the coils to go 3.5”, much happier.

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Technology & part-time Google mechanic
Clubs

Go 3.5” if you do any offroad at all. Actually even if you don’t, go 3.5”.
My 2.5 Evo lift kept me in the bump stops constantly, cleared 37s with some rubbing. A year later I got the coils to go 3.5”, much happier.
What changes did you have to do with the coils? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I think I would need at least new driveshafts. I sheared my rear passenger axle and getting 1 tons put on and upgrading to 37s. I have a 2.5" lift and since she is "under the knife" right now thought about adding 1" coil spacers. I have to get new driveshafts anyway along with breakline extensions for the 1 tons. Thanks!

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
What changes did you have to do with the coils? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I think I would need at least new driveshafts. I sheared my rear passenger axle and getting 1 tons put on and upgrading to 37s. I have a 2.5" lift and since she is "under the knife" right now thought about adding 1" coil spacers. I have to get new driveshafts anyway along with breakline extensions for the 1 tons. Thanks!
Evo rear track bar bracket was added at same time as 3.5 coils, and Tom woods drive shafts shortly thereafter. Can’t think of anything else at the moment. Then again, it is Saturday bourbon hour.

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Technology & part-time Google mechanic
Clubs

Evo rear track bar bracket was added at same time as 3.5 coils, and Tom woods drive shafts shortly thereafter. Can’t think of anything else at the moment. Then again, it is Saturday bourbon hour.
That helps thanks! Cheers! It's Saturday whiskey night here.

Sponsored

kalashnikovjl

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR Billet Silver
Build Thread
Link
hey y'all! just wanted to throw some input in!
im doing a 2.5 metal cloak game changer kit, combined with the falcon 3.3 adjust shocks. im going to run the new BFG Ko2's 37s made for the new raptor.

my rig is built out as a daily driver with maybe 2-5 trail trips a year where I do like to get flex-y and try some big things.
My main goal is on road comfort and stability, combined with offroad ability. I think the quality and ability of the metal cloak lift and the 3.3 falcons will lead to the perfect mix, a comfortable and stable ride on road, and good flex off road!

iddpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Live and learn....get a quality lift with adjustable upper/lower control arms, etc., etc. I went with EVO 2.5" enforcer overland stage 4 with spec kings, 37" Nitto's and steersmart.... very happy, handling is awesome, COG is low BUT after driving for a while and overlanding, now moving to 3.5" (new coils rear track bar bracket). Should have done this from day one..! Of course it depends on your use, but IMHO 3.5" will give you best of both worlds - DD and trail.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
looks great dude! what size tires are you running?
I just edited my post when I realized I left that part out:

BFG K02's in 37x12.50x17 in Load Range C.
Sponsored